Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Black Plastic Exterior Trim What works to restore it???

As the title states my exterior trim is looking hazy. Especially my splitter. What works to restore it?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
As the title states my exterior trim is looking hazy. Especially my splitter. What works to restore it?
I've used 'Back to Black' to help on those items..
Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
armorall outlast works well, too
Old 08-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...-trim-dressing
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I highly recommend following "Detailing 101 by Autogeek" on Facebook. The previously mentioned suggestions are nice for short term dressing. I recommend using those options for maintenance. You can bring oxidized plastic back to life a bit with a dryer or heat gun, but the most recommended solution is Solution Finish. Then, I highly recommend using the other stuff for maintenance.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Yhe products listed above; Back to Black, Armoral Outlast, and the link to Adam's VRT are all dressings that wash off. I've had great success on black plastic trim with Adam's Black Trim Restorer, gotta let it dry for 24 hours or longer, then topped with his 9H Ceramic Paint Coating, and with his Ceramic Black Trim Restorer. Both of these products are a dye, not a dressing and last for months, to a year for me.

The heat gun process is lightly melting the surface of the plastic trim. This method you'll have trouble getting in all the nooks and crannys evenly, and can melt the trim and surrounding plastic bumper easily if not careful, as well as burn the surrounding paint. I'd avoid this process until all lesser aggressive options are tried first, with you're only other option being replacement.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:16 AM   #7
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Yhe products listed above; Back to Black, Armoral Outlast, and the link to Adam's VRT are all dressings that wash off. I've had great success on black plastic trim with Adam's Black Trim Restorer, gotta let it dry for 24 hours or longer, then topped with his 9H Ceramic Paint Coating, and with his Ceramic Black Trim Restorer. Both of these products are a dye, not a dressing and last for months, to a year for me.

The heat gun process is lightly melting the surface of the plastic trim. This method you'll have trouble getting in all the nooks and crannys evenly, and can melt the trim and surrounding plastic bumper easily if not careful, as well as burn the surrounding paint. I'd avoid this process until all lesser aggressive options are tried first, with you're only other option being replacement.
Good call on the heat gun. I should have warned about that. This is an extreme option as well when the trim is really bad. I had not thought about ceramic coating. That is an excellent tip.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:

So I put on the restorer and then top that with the ceramic paint coating and the ceramic trim restorer? Wouldn’t that be $200 for all 3 products?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
So I put on the restorer and then top that with the ceramic paint coating and the ceramic trim restorer? Wouldn’t that be $200 for all 3 products?
No, EITHER the Black Trim Restorer topped with the 9H Ceramic Paint Coating, OR just the Ceramic Black Trim Restorer.
You don't need the 9H Ceramic Paint Coating Kit if you're just doing your trim, just the bottle of the Ceramic Coating. Clean the Trim thoroughly with a Tire & Rubber Cleaner, then wipe it all down with IPA. Buy the Ceramic Paint coating Kit if you plan on Ceramic Coating the entire vehicle.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
NightfallSS

Drives: Still Waiting...
I personally haven't used it, but I plan on trying Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat. This stuff looks amazing and priced well: https://cerakoteceramics.com/product...-trim-coat-kit

I first learned about from Apex Detail:
NightfallSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
No, EITHER the Black Trim Restorer topped with the 9H Ceramic Paint Coating, OR just the Ceramic Black Trim Restorer.
You don't need the 9H Ceramic Paint Coating Kit if you're just doing your trim, just the bottle of the Ceramic Coating. Clean the Trim thoroughly with a Tire & Rubber Cleaner, then wipe it all down with IPA. Buy the Ceramic Paint coating Kit if you plan on Ceramic Coating the entire vehicle.
Thanks that makes more sense.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
crazy4camaro

Drives: 2012 RSLT,1979 Trans Am
Trinova plastic and trim restorer , the ultimate plastic & trim solution I have had every good results on my camaro and pontiac firebird trans am , use very sparingly goes a long way
crazy4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote