Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
It might be a simple fix to get the camaro 5 star crash rating

Apparantly zeta 1 ( Holden ve/ pontiac g8) originaly tested at 4 stars for frontal impact like the camaro. A simple shroud around the steering colum fixed the problem. The camaro could be the same as I beleive both were seeing the same type of injuries in cras tests. This would mean a 5 star rating with almost no weight gain.

If this was already posted please forgive me.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
If that is true, than the the Camaro is probably less than 1% off from a 5 star rating. I can't imagine a shroud alone making that much difference. More reasons for me to not care that I dont have 5 stars in frontal crashes. I got 7 stars in looks to make up for that missing star elsewhere.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
not having five stars isnt a deal break, and it doesnt affect my view of this awesome car at all, but i do wish that it had five stars. but i dont see how a shroud helps? explain?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I don't plan on crashing mine.. I don't want to see the stars, whether there are 4 or 5.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Forrest

Drives: 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
I don't plan on crashing mine.. I don't want to see the stars, whether there are 4 or 5.
I really hope nobody Plans on it, i think many on the forum would hunt them down if they did. But anyways, I do believe that, in contact with anotehr vehicle head on, and not a wall, I would maybe consider the rating 5 star? I don't know what the problem was, but if it was weight related, I'd sure rather be in my 3800 pound car as opposed to the Accord or Camry that may involunarily change into my lane. I mean, there are instances where, whether you have 4 or 5 stars, ain't nothin' gonna' save ya'.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I really hope nobody Plans on it, i think many on the forum would hunt them down if they did. But anyways, I do believe that, in contact with anotehr vehicle head on, and not a wall, I would maybe consider the rating 5 star? I don't know what the problem was, but if it was weight related, I'd sure rather be in my 3800 pound car as opposed to the Accord or Camry that may involunarily change into my lane. I mean, there are instances where, whether you have 4 or 5 stars, ain't nothin' gonna' save ya'.

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
not having five stars isnt a deal break, and it doesnt affect my view of this awesome car at all, but i do wish that it had five stars. but i dont see how a shroud helps? explain?
Camaro only gets four-star safety rating

August 7, 2009 by George Skentzos

Achieving the maximum five-star safety rating in crash tests has become the norm for most modern cars, especially for headlining models such as the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.

However it seems the Australian engineered Chevrolet Camaro didn’t perform quite as expected in recent NHTSA crash testing – the US equivalent of ANCAP – achieving only a four-star safety rating.

The Camaro managed to score the maximum five-star rating for side and roll-over testing, but the car’s front impact rating of only four-stars dragged down the overall score.

In comparison, its main rival the Ford Mustang managed to achieve the maximum five-star rating across all tests, making this a less than ideal result for the Camaro, which has managed to outsell its arch rival for the second successive month.

With the Camaro sharing its underpinnings with the VE Commodore, it seems Holden engineers may have overlooked a few simple design flaws, with the Commodore itself initially receiving only a four-star ANCAP rating.

This safety concern was eventually rectified by Holden through the addition of a steering column shroud energy absorber across the VE sedan range that helps to reduce driver knee injuries.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/37755/ca...safety-rating/.

I borrowed the above from a member of andifferant forum. Look at the link at the bottom for the source.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote