Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #169
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Dropped it off this morning with a copy of the TSB on this issue. Technician verified the problem and ordered a new Torque Convertor. They will check the transmission for metal fragments before replacing. I should know more tomorrow.
Wow! I'm surprised that it didn't manifest sooner. Had mine changed several years ago--don't remember the mileage, but it was probably around 20k. Haven't had any recurrence. They flushed the transmission as part of the coverter exchange. Good luck!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #170
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that it didn't manifest sooner. Had mine changed several years ago--don't remember the mileage, but it was probably around 20k. Haven't had any recurrence. They flushed the transmission as part of the coverter exchange. Good luck!
I noticed it starting last fall but it was just ocassionally. Last two times I drove it it was really getting bad. So since my Warranty will be up in June I thought I would go ahead and get it looked at.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #171
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Picked it up today and test drove it on a little road trip. No more shuddering.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #172
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
I had mine replaces several years ago and had it done twice within a year of each other. Apparently the replacement TQ I got on the first one was still from the original batch.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #173
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
I had mine replaces several years ago and had it done twice within a year of each other. Apparently the replacement TQ I got on the first one was still from the original batch.
Yeah I remember when this first became an issue the new Torque Convertors had the same part number as the old ones so they couldn't tell which was being installed. Hopefully by now all the old ones have been purged and I got the new design.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #174
aleckb

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Yeah I remember when this first became an issue the new Torque Convertors had the same part number as the old ones so they couldn't tell which was being installed. Hopefully by now all the old ones have been purged and I got the new design.
I have a 2011 I purchased in August 2016. It had 40K on it and since I've had it I've put 20K on it. Now the car is behaving very similar the bulletin on the 2012s I read. It sounds to me like the TQ but i do not want to drop it and replace it if that's not the problem. Has any experience symptoms from the 2012 bulletin and it was not the TQ? Control module? Valve body? Servicing?
aleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #175
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckb View Post
I have a 2011 I purchased in August 2016. It had 40K on it and since I've had it I've put 20K on it. Now the car is behaving very similar the bulletin on the 2012s I read. It sounds to me like the TQ but i do not want to drop it and replace it if that's not the problem. Has any experience symptoms from the 2012 bulletin and it was not the TQ? Control module? Valve body? Servicing?
Mine is back in for a second Torque Convertor, so unless I got another bad one I suspect I have also got other issues. My warranty is up in two months and that has me worried.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #176
herb_ritts

Drives: 2012 LT2 - Camaro V6 3.6 aut 328HP
Dear Camaro friends,

please help and share your experience with me.
Upfront I need to say sorry for my bad english but I am a German Camaro Fan and driver.

I have the same problem like some of you. My Camaro 2012 V6 3.6 328HP has noises out of the automatic transistion.

Sometimes when cruising only but mostly when driving normal in D mode.
Sometimes I have the feeling that the car would like to switch to another gear and is not sure if he should switch or not and jumping very fast

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is the noise.
it is rumbling or chattering.

Mostly dirctly after converting to another gear.
Seldom in manuell mode but sometimes.

A small garage told me switching the transmission oil should solve the problem.

But some guys of you wrote here, that is was necessarry to replace the torque converter.
That will cost a lot I think. I saved my money many years to buy my car.

I have an Camaro 2012 like mentioned. Has anyone success with only changing the oil ? What was your price for replace the torque converter ?

My car has run 31.000 miles only.

Car was imported from the US ~ 1 - 2 year ago. While I made the testdrive I didn`t recognize that failure. But later on....I started to feel it :-(

The problem made me thinking all day of that care and I can really not relax driving.

I love my Camaro. But the sound is terrible and I am afraid to kick down the gas pedal due to this noises.
Don`t want to destroy my car.

Best regards
Herby
herb_ritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #177
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

It sounds as though you have the torque converter problem. Since you are in Germany you probably don't have GM or Chevrolet dealers readily available. If you did, there is a Service Bulletin that addresses the issue (it is referenced previously in this thread, post #161), but getting it applied to your car in Germany will be the issue. You may very well have to have the torque converter replaced at your own cost. Good luck! And keep us posted.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #178
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I realize this thread is mainly for the V6 auto but I have a question about my V8 one. My car has been very solid since day one but for a long time I get some vibe in the steering wheel on harder acceleration.

It seems more noticeable in higher gears and if I put the trans in manual and speed up harder in say 4 or 5th I will feel it. I've often wondered if there is something with my TC but it has always remained the same and never got any worse. It could be some other transfer of a vibe through the car I realize too.... I have no issues with any steady speed running or minor acceleration either and I assume a TC issue would be noticeable at say steady highway speeds etc.?

My PT warranty is over in 2 months and of course I'm tuned so I guess it may be gone anyways. Does this sound like something I should checked out before it ends? My car has just over 30000 miles and I do expect to keep it for quite a while as it is like new overall.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #179
herb_ritts

Drives: 2012 LT2 - Camaro V6 3.6 aut 328HP
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I have Chevrolet dealer 40 miles away from here.

I forwarded the document to him. Thank you so much for these hint.

He said, lets first try to change automatic transmission oil....if this will not work we can look for the torque converter as well. They have a new oil using in the 8 shift automatic. He would like to try this oil in my motor. He said they have had 8 repairments on newer models and switching the oil was a success. Maybe works with mine as well.

If not, he said, the oil is not gone away. We can keep it and when changing the torque converter, we only need to replace 1 or 2 liter out of the converter. Not all.

Mine has 31.000 miles...he said it is anyway time to change the oil....

I will keep ypu updated if this works...... 600 bugs for flushing... :-(

Best regards
Herby

P.S.: Do you know what was the price in the US to replace the converter ?
herb_ritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #180
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_ritts View Post

He said, lets first try to change automatic transmission oil....if this will not work we can look for the torque converter as well. They have a new oil using in the 8 shift automatic. He would like to try this oil in my motor. He said they have had 8 repairments on newer models and switching the oil was a success. Maybe works with mine as well.

If not, he said, the oil is not gone away. We can keep it and when changing the torque converter, we only need to replace 1 or 2 liter out of the converter. Not all.

Best regards
Herby

My torque converter was replaced under warranty. Never saw the cost for it. Good luck--hope the fluid change works,but wouldn't count on it based on previous comments from folks that has torque converter issues. It may.....
Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #181
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_ritts View Post

Best regards
Herby

Your dealer is full of crap.
The TSB specifically states how to diagnose the problem and the fix. If he is wanting to just change the fluid then he is just trying to make you pay for something you may not have to pay for if he does what is on the TSB and it is covered under the warranty. Also he cannot save the tranny fluid if the convertor is bad, there will be shards of metal in the fluid and the transmission will have to be flushed and the filter changed. If not those shards of metal will cause a second convertor failure. That is what happened to mine when they changed the first torque convertor.
31,000 miles is not the recommended interval for changing transmission fluid. The schedule says 45,000 miles for severe service and 97,500 miles for normal service.