Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
The 2010 Camaro is my last Camaro. Here's why

Hello,

There is a post in this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17290
quoted from another forum where he says

Quote:
it's [The Camaro] a car some hope will maybe, just maybe sell like crazy and restore a tiny bit of faith in big, thick, meaty, rather inane American cars that have no real place in the new millennium, but which for some reason they keep building anyway
While a little colorful, I have to say that I think he is right.

First, don't get me wrong. I love cars. I don't know how to fix them and have never even changed a tire, but I love cars, especially the Firebirds and Camaro's. The 2010 Cammy is sexy, and I want one.

I admit though that I am feeling GUILITY for buying the 8cy. The 6cyl is more fuel effecient, but thats not the real point.

The point is, Gasoline engines are 100 year old technology. They are 10% effecient at best at converting energy into movement, with the rest lost to heat and pollution, and it has been a contributing factor to putting our planet into deep trouble.

I do plan to keep my car for as long as possible, but as soon as electric cars that make real sense finally hit the roads here in Canada, I will be driving one of those, and my Camaro less.

Think about it. We drive cars with old technology, and the energy required (where 90% is wasted) comes from a foreign land, overpriced and sold to us by the greedy, and are destroying the planet.

And for the record, I am not a fan of Hybrid or Fuel Cell cars. Hybrid's are a nice idea but really no more than a bridge to all electric. (Plug-in Hybrids are cool though). Fuel Cell cars are a JOKE that will not or should ever make it due to required changes in the worlds gas station infrastucture to make them viable.

The "Future" (today, or just a few days from now), should be plug-in electric.

Yes we lose the SOUND of our cars, but not necessarily power or fun (See the Tesla Roadster at http://www.teslamotors.com/). Going electric keeps alot more money in our pockets (to buy more cars? "Hmmm.. " says (hopefully) a GM Executive), saves our Earth, and does so much more.

What I really hope to see is Electric technology come to cars that we love (Camaro's, Corvettes, etc). (Can you imagine an electric Camaro? I can! And I would buy one for sure).

So am I a hyporcit for buying a 2010 Camaro AND preaching the wonders of the Electric car? Maybe, and sorry for that. However I do see the future, and the future must NOT include gasoline powered cars...

Let the flames begin.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Hello,

However I do see the future, and the future must NOT include gasoline powered cars...

Let the flames begin.

lol .. sorry I couldn't resist ..

Seriously ... I do think that we will see different technology in a sportier package (which is part of the problem with electric cars (that don't cost an arm and a let) of today). Make an electric car with good performance and good looks at an affordable price and people will bite ..

Crowley
Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Miamimatt

Drives: 2 LT RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Miamimatt
Its simple man there have been people saying for a long time if you can replace the internal combustion engine then do it. Here it is 100 years and nope not even close. My future camaro will be the all electric 500 hp EZ28 lol whatever. if they make a good affordable electric vehicle then why wouldnt people buy em. i know i would.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Are there people on this forum that seriously WANT to start heated arguments and discussions to make people get upset?

I mean come on. If this isn't flame bait, I don't know what is.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I seem to recall this discussion oh about 30 years ago....
Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Troll Alert!!!

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
While the infernal combustion engine is 100 years old, so is the electric car. I don't understand. And its interesting that you bring up the Tesla Roadster. It has performance that is slightly ahead of the base Corvette, at the cost of a ZR1 and it has to spend half of its time being recharged. Compare that to a 5 minute fill-up at a gas station.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Closed Thread