Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Camaro Goon

Drives: No Camaro...yet.
Fit and Finish

I know the the biggest question on everyone's mind (including mine) is what GM is going to give us for HP. Just as important, I wonder what level of quality in fit and finish GM is going to give us.

I had a 2000 Corvette and was going to buy another but decided to stop in at the local Mercedes dealership and check out the 2005 SLK55 AMG. I was AMAZED (somewhat sadly) at the quality and performance of the MB over the 'Vette. I ended up buying the AMG as a result, but the recent addition of a beautiful baby girl made the option of a third car with no back seat a no-go with the wife, so it's gone.

I'm a life-long Chevy fan and can't wait to get a Bow Tie back in the garage, so the new Camaro is a perfect fit! (Thank God for a sports car with a back seat!!)

I'm not going to compare apples to oranges between a Camaro and a Mercedes, but how satisfied with overall quality are recent GM buyers? Has GM put more emphasis on fit and finish and putting a quality product out the door?

BTW, don't read more into this post than what you see. I already have my deposit down with Rick Daniel and can't wait to get back into a Chevy!!
Camaro Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
MB (5 years newer) Special performance package:
Excellent
$44,600

Corvette (5 years older) BASE coupe
Excellent
$21,300

Not only did you pay extra for the sports package (Why not test drive a Z06 of the same year as your mb?) but it's also 5 years newer. Technology has changed a lot since 2000. I don't think anyone wouldn't see an improvement in performance in 5 years, especially with the package, and if you're paying 2 times as much, I would hope that they have ALOT as you can get 2 vettes for your mb's price. I can see the back seat being a certain buy condition, but you just compared apples to oranges before saying you wouldn't do that.

This is not a rant, I've never owned a chevy. I'm just responding to your comparison. I don't think GM has downgraded their quality as they're trying to sell cars, you would want anything BUT lower quality. I think you just went with all the gadgets and toys and luxuries. The corvette is a sports car, the AMG is a luxury car that has a souped up engine along with satnav, integrated cell phone, leather/wood/granite, etc. etc. etc. =)
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Camaro Goon

If you'll notice in my original post I said I'm not comparing apples to oranges. What I was trying to explain was that GM's flagship car, the Corvette, should have comparable quality to a "lesser model" MB (in the MB lineup).

The main point is not about technology or performance, it's about quality. Fit, finish, attention to detail, etc.

If you've never driven a Chevy, then you don't know the past quality. Hence, my question was to recent buyers of GM products and what their overall impression is of the final product.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
well i have noticed that all of the recent GM reviews said that the interior is def improved. Just look at the 2008 cts. That is a "B" "E" "A" utiful interior.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I have driven chevy's just never owned them. I work in my offtime as a parkling lot/valet attendant for my grandparents company. I've driven everything from Lambourhini's to Metros. I'm just saying the Corvette has never been one for anything other than driving experience. If you want performance, buy a corvette, if you want interior and ride quality, buy a luxury car, that's all.

Corvette to MB = apples to oranges
Toyota to Ferrari = pears to peaches
Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Camaro Goon

Again, Mindz, you don't get the jist of my post. If you've never owned a Chevrolet or GM, then you're not doing any good with your replies.

I've owned many Chevrolets, including Corvettes, Camaros, Cavaliers, S-10s, an SS Chevelle, and a Nova. I've even owned a couple of Fords, three MB's, and Toyotas. I have plenty of experience/knowledge of Chevrolet and other manufacturers. I don't think that driving someone else's car to the parking spot is giving you the experience/knowledge that actually OWNING one does. If you can't read a post and reply to its content accordingly, please don't respond.

Again, this post is for people that RECENTLY BOUGHT a GM product and what your overall impression is of the car's quality.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Camaro Goon

That's what I'm hearing as well, Goya. A friend of mine recently bought a new 2007 Corvette Coupe and I was pretty impressed with the improvements!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

If you can't read my replies without skipping over the important parts, then don't bother responding either. I was giving an example of driving. Doesn't mean my parents haven't owned any GM's, friends haven't owned GM's etc. Just driving cars to a parking spot and back gives you an insight to the interior and you can tell when a car is made and put together well. Driving it multiple times such as parents cars, friends cars etc (especially when being a DD on SEVERAL occasions) gives you the insight to see if a car performs or is built to last. Again, you can tell the way a car is put together when driving a brand new one a few times then getting in one that has had considerable mileage put on it.

Stop being mindless and actually take a minute to read someone's insight that doesn't agree with you. Again the whole point of my post is that you're comparing older cars to newer cars and different classes of cars AND THEN saying you won't compare apples to oranges.

Another pet peeve (People who think they know what they're talking about and refuse to acknowledge anyone who disagrees.)
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Camaro Goon

Mindz, you're really not worth my time. It sounds like you're about 17 years old. If you don't understand what the adults are talking about, keep your mouth shut, please.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Insults mean you've run out of intelligent things to say. Good day.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First. Lets all be respectful.

As for "Fit and Finish", the last Chevrolet I purchased was my SS, which I took delivery of in late '98. So, I am not a "recent buyer of a GM product".

That being said, while I understand the question, (being directed towards those who have purchased newer Chevrolet/GM vehicles) I feel it's also possible to listen to and ain some insight from the thoughts and opinions from the casual enthusiast.

My brother owns an '05 C6, and I can tell you, the fit and finish has greatly improved! And having attended numerous auto shows and witnessed the fit and finish of the new Chevrolets, (Malibu; Corvette; etc.,) Cadillacs (STS; CTS: etc.) I can form the opinion that GM has really got their game together.

Again, I understand the original question. But, lets accept all thoughts and opinions, and respectfully accept everyone's thoughts.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
HEY! I resent that 17 year old remark.

Quote:
Again, I understand the original question. But, lets accept all thoughts and opinions, and respectfully accept everyone's thoughts.
Word ^

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Bought an '06 Uplander for the wife and have an '03 z71. Also own older GM products. My personal opinion is that GM is definitely making significant improvements in fit, finish and interior quality.

I periodically read Motor Trend, Road and Track etc and it seems that up until very recently, they always have an issue with GM's interiors. That trend seems to be changing.

From what I've read and from pictures I've seen, it seems that GM is finally getting the message. The '08 CTS and '08 Corvette have been mentioned previously. To that list I would add the Saturn Aura and the new Malibu as having top notch fit and finish, both interior and exterior.

I can only hope that they continue to improve and incorporate everything they've learned into the new Camaro. I want this car to be exceptional. They seem to have hit the proverbial nail on the head with design, now they need to kick a$$ with the engineering too!!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Camaro Goon

It's good to hear positive responses. As I said, my friend's '07 Corvette is pretty impressive. In the short time span from the 2000 I owned to his '07, GM really put some effort into quality improvements.

I'm sure the resurrection of one of Chevy's classics, especially a Pony killer, will continue GM's positive trend.