Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Lowering only the rear?

So........I need just a bit more rear grip, and am running out of options! I know from past experience on a SS suspension Hotchkis rear spring only lower 3/4 in. spring rate is close to stock. More or less grip in the rear?!

1LE suspension (ordered with the 2015 SS & dealer installed). Replaced the
rear 1LE bar with a BMR 32mm bar(softest setting). LGMotorsport ZL1 wheels(pressure cast, 10in &11in) with BFG Rivals 285s square. Pedders Stage 1 Radius rod inserts. -1.5Deg front camber & .05 Neg. front toe.
-.5Deg rear camber & .05 Pos rear Toe. I also have on order from Pedders UK the 220035 rear springs to balance out the ride height to about 670mm. The Rivals were not my 1st choice but was what was available
Attached Images

Last edited by chuckclanton; 05-03-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add info
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Im sure Chase with APEX will chime in soon but he may need some more info. More grip? On the track in the corners?

This thread is on wheel hop, but has some useful info... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316648

Lowering the rear would certainly help, but I would drop the front too or you may create other problems in solving this one. 3/4" isn't your only option either. I'm running PFADT springs and they are fantastic at 1.25" all around.

A PM to Chase (APEX Motorsports) will do you wonders! Good luck and keep us posted.
'14-ELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by '14-ELLIE View Post
Im sure Chase with APEX will chime in soon but he may need some more info. More grip? On the track in the corners?

This thread is on wheel hop, but has some useful info... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316648

Lowering the rear would certainly help, but I would drop the front too or you may create other problems in solving this one. 3/4" isn't your only option either. I'm running PFADT springs and they are fantastic at 1.25" all around.

A PM to Chase (APEX Motorsports) will do you wonders! Good luck and keep us posted.
I would prefer not to lower at all! Basically a bad idea as it screws up the suspension geometry. So 1/2in would be even better! Running 285s square
Rivals with a 32mm rear bar. Scca local autocross courses are very tight and I have to really limit the body roll but still need more grip at corner exits and hairpins.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I looked into this and I was almost going to pull the trigger on some ZL1 rear springs. But I didn't want to upset the factory 1LE setup.

I know they look nicer lower, but I like the handling too much to make it pretty.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
'14-ELLIE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
I agree with you both in not wanting to upset the factory 1LE specs, but I haven't heard any complaints other than the extremes that the OP has clarified.

I won't even begin to pretend I'm an expert, but Chase is highly regarded. Even if he doesn't get a sale, he'll be a huge help and I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say.
'14-ELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I looked into this and I was almost going to pull the trigger on some ZL1 rear springs. But I didn't want to upset the factory 1LE setup.

I know they look nicer lower, but I like the handling too much to make it pretty.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe I need to improve my driving skills,
but need to make sure there isn't something I have missed.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Rear grip is going to depend on weight transfer. Is the car loose on breaking, turn in, or corner exit. Have you checked the tire temps? If so what are they? Don't mess with the suspension without tire temp data.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
heard some good stuff about the pfadt lowering springs.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckclanton View Post
I would prefer not to lower at all! Basically a bad idea as it screws up the suspension geometry. So 1/2in would be even better! Running 285s square
Rivals with a 32mm rear bar. Scca local autocross courses are very tight and I have to really limit the body roll but still need more grip at corner exits and hairpins.
Sounds like you would benefit from front and rear adjustable sway bars and adjustable dampers/coil overs. That will give you the ability to properly balance the car and adjust the compression and rebound to achieve the weight transfer you need to increase grip at corner exit.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I follow what Pete at JPSS says. 26" or close all around from lower wheel lip to fender edge(on a 20" wheel) for a good balance. Found that was best for cornering, weight transfer and corner balance and keeps rear axels safe from to much lowering for high speed work.If no coilovers 1 to 1.25" springs would get you close depending where you car was at stock. From stock that was a 1" front and 1.125" rear drop
for me
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I wouldn't lower the rear only. Try the softest setting on that rear bar and go from there. That or more tire in the rear.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
So........I need just a bit more rear grip, and am running out of options! I know from past experience on a SS suspension Hotchkis rear spring only lower 3/4 in. spring rate is close to stock. More or less grip in the rear?!
Quote:
What diameter front bar?
What are your alignment specs?
What tire pressures?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
chuckclanton

Quote:

1LE suspension (ordered with the 2015 SS & dealer installed). Replaced the
rear 1LE bar with a BMR 32mm bar(softest setting). LGMotorsport ZL1 wheels(pressure cast, 10in &11in) with BFG Rivals 285s square. Pedders Stage 1 Radius rod inserts. -1.5Deg front camber & .05 Neg. front toe.
-.5Deg rear camber & .05 Pos rear Toe. I also have on order from Pedders UK the 220035 rear springs to balance out the ride height to about 670mm. The Rivals were not my 1st choice but was what was available
The Die is cast. Lowering the rear with Pedders 220035 springs.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
I wouldn't lower the rear only. Try the softest setting on that rear bar and go from there. That or more tire in the rear.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
So...It turns out the 220035 pedders springs are no longer available even
in the UK per Pedders AU. They claim the part was a US only part! So out comes the BMR rear sway bar anr the stock 1LE bar back in to get more
rear grip. So are you happy now Tyler!(just kidding). I will call you after the autocross on the 10th.
Chuck