Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Drives: 2010 IBM RS/SS, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Exclamation Electrical Issue - I'll take any help I can get.

2010 SS M6

I am having electrical issues. The car will do one of two things – fire up and immediately quit, or not fire at all. When it does not fire at all, I remove the key and half of the dash stays lit – requiring that I disconnect the battery so it will not drain completely.

Here is what I was doing. I was cleaning up my trunk area which has Dynamat installed. I removed my sub and amp enclosures to “tidy up” some wiring (led strips in the trunk) and make the compartment more usable with all my extra items. As I thought I was finishing my project, I keyed up to make sure everything was working like it should and discovered I had not connected my amp’s remote lead to the radio. I moved the amp rack, heard a pop; smelled some smoke and the radio went off. Figured I popped a fuse … when I went to fire the car, I experienced the issues above.

I have had a former GM Service manager who is a friend of mine stop by with thousand of dollars of gear to scan. No blown fuses in any of the three fuse boxes, nor are the 60W or 100W fuses connected to the positive battery cable blown. Reground the stereo components, but still cannot get the car to run. Battery is fully charged, although it is not brand new. It was purchased in 2013. I searched the forum but have not been able to find anything quite like this.

I’d really appreciate any help the good folks of Camaro 5 might have to offer. Thanks in advance
Speed Kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Did this start to happen after you messed with the wiring in the trunk?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Did this start to happen after you messed with the wiring in the trunk?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
do you have an immobilizer bypass installed for a custom alarm? check the inline fuse on that.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
do you have an immobilizer bypass installed for a custom alarm? check the inline fuse on that.
No custom alarm, but I do have a tracking device and back up camera. I sent a text to the installer to see if there is a fuse for that. I appreciate the suggestion/direction!

Fingers crossed for something simple.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The camaro is set up like a circuit breaker if it detects a problem with some wiring (faulty ground, etc) it trips and turns the car into a 3000+ pound paper weight. I am speaking from experience.

When you try and start the car do any electronics (dash, lights, chime, etc) work? If not, then I would start with disconnecting your amp(s), then try and start the car... if it works then you have a bad ground somewhere, if not then I would try to locate the source of the "smoke" smell.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
The camaro is set up like a circuit breaker if it detects a problem with some wiring (faulty ground, etc) it trips and turns the car into a 3000+ pound paper weight. I am speaking from experience.

When you try and start the car do any electronics (dash, lights, chime, etc) work? If not, then I would start with disconnecting your amp(s), then try and start the car... if it works then you have a bad ground somewhere, if not then I would try to locate the source of the "smoke" smell.
When I key up, the dash lights work, along with the dome - no radio, but I'm sure there is a fuse behind the dash for that. My plan was to drive over to the install shop with a 12 pack to get that fixed until it became a paper weight). I also get headlights ...

Thanks and I appreciate any/all the help from my brothers and sisters on Camaro 5!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
So when you heard the pop and smelled the smoke . Did you see where the smoke was coming from ? I would look for burned wires . You shorted something out . Where ever the magic smoke came from is where the issue is .
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Typically I would not think wiring for the radio would not cause a no start condition. If you were working in the trunk I would look at the wires and connector to the fuel pump. Just a thought
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
If you car worked fine before the smoke and burning smell, I would certainly start at that place.

Do you know exactly where the smoke and burning smell came from?
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Typically I would not think wiring for the radio would not cause a no start condition. If you were working in the trunk I would look at the wires and connector to the fuel pump. Just a thought
I was working in the trunk that is full of Dynamat which is metallic. Where are the wire/connectors for the fuel pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
If you car worked fine before the smoke and burning smell, I would certainly start at that place.

Do you know exactly where the smoke and burning smell came from?
FThe smoke smell came from the right rear of the trunk, where the amp rack is located. I have not been able to find any burn wires, but its worth another look.

Again thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Tramp

Drives: 2015z28
Can you hear the fuel pump run with the ignition on and do the engine lights come on fuel pump should run about 10 seconds on key on but don't try too start
Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Thumbs up

Problem solved. Found a burnt aftermarket radio module. Burnt so bad, I melted the connector pins. Once I disconnected it, the car fired right up and ran with no issues. Off to the stereo shop tomorrow for a complete check and reassembly with a new module from Metra. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!