Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #43
fsugreg

Drives: Red jewel tint
How can I turn off the AFM?
fsugreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #44
bash535i

Drives: 2011 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsugreg View Post
How can I turn off the AFM?
Is the consensus that this is definitely an AFM issue? My daughter's 2011 L99 (I posted in same thread earlier) is going on 5 months old and about 3,000 miles and there is no sign of it correcting matters on its own. I've always used 93 Octane and have also did the fuse pull just in case.

I don't like to say it, but I hate riding or driving in the car. When I get out of it and into my '11 CTSV, the perceived smoothness of power delivery at cruise is daylight and dark. Technically, I guess that would apply to full throttle conditions too, but there is no good reason that the SS can't pull itself down the highway without stumbling.

If it's an AFM issue that can't be fixed, it's shameful that we have to void the warranty to get a smooth operating machine.
Other than that, I'd have to say that I'm fairly impressed with the build of the car.
bash535i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #45
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
If u notice it while driving at a constant speed and it is not a drastic effect, I would say it is a "feature" of our L99. U could take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #46
quee.raj

Drives: 2011
I would definitely start with the idle air control valve. You may be able to take it apart, and clean it up a little with some carb cleaner.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #47
fsugreg

I've taken my 2011 2ss auto to three dealers. They all say it's the AMF. I found out that it is the AMF by doing this. Take the car on the road. While driving, place the shifter into manual mode. Doing only this, an "S" appears on the display. While in manual mode push the "+" paddle on the steering wheel. You'll notice that all the hesitation, and surging goes away. I've done this at many speeds, and while using cruise control on the highway and the surging is gone. What I don't like is, we should have been told about this prior to buying the car, and there should be an option to disengage it. My understanding is that the AMF only give you one more mile per gallon. Not worth it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #48
fsugreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I also had my AFM turned off. The car runs and sounds so much better....
How did you turn of AMF?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #49
thesaint

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
With the full understanding that a "tune" will drastically improve the car and is certain death for the power train warranty, has someone been able to just turn off the AFM as to not trip the ecu "counter". There has to be a way to get this "feature" to not dominate my car.
thesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #50
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Mine has been doing this more lately. Im going to go check to make sure my MAF is clean (can clean with electrical contact cleaner) and check the filter also.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
Emick928

Drives: 2010 SS Metallic Grey
BUMP!!! Mine doing it as well. Will be interested to see what comes of this.

Sorry for the NOOB question, but what is the AFM?
Emick928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #52
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Its the system that turns off 4 cylinders if the controllers senses 8 cylinders are not needed and then back on when needed. Only on V8s with auto transmissions.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #53
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I haven't researched this thoroughly but here's the link to the thread, you decide: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=afm

Last edited by OmniCamaro; 06-05-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: no reason ;)
OmniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #54
BUMBLDEE

Drives: 2ss/rs/6sp/man/rally yellow
hesitation while accelerating

I have a 2010 camaro 2ss I've had this problem for a while the answer for me believe it or not engine mounts hope this is helpful
BUMBLDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #55
R1peccavi

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
You can not just simply turn it off. It's is much more complicated than you think the AFM also controls the way that your oil is routed so you can't necessarily turn it off the only way to do it would be to get an AFM delete and go with the VVT 1 2 3 or 4 camshaft from Texas Speed and Performance you can also go to your local Dyno tune and have them reprogram your whole computer but again you're going to lose your warranty on this if you want this problem to be fixed you have to go aftermarket there is absolutely no other way to go about this. This is the first generation of the vfm and they couldn't get it right. I've done a lot of modifications to my 2010 SSRS with the L99 I did the whole AFM delete I did the VVT for camshaft headers and a lot other upgrades and my car still gets better gas mileage believe it or not then it did when it ran with the vfm dropping it down to 4 cylinders
R1peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote