Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 10-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
rad23racer

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Suspension Tuning in Southern California

Good morning everyone. I have a 2015 1LE and am having issues with the suspension. There are a couple of good bumps on my normal commute road. My lowered truck and really lowered R53 Mini absorb the bumps without crashing into the bump stops. My Camaro feels like the strut is going to come through the hood. I've seen some posts about the factory struts actually lacking in rebound damping and what I'm feeling might actually be the struts topping out rather than bottoming. I do mostly street driving (think Angeles Crest Highway) and maybe 1-2 track days per year. I don't want to lower the car, just make it absorb bumps like it should. It's a great car to drive but I find myself choosing every other vehicle I own instead of the Camaro due to this suspension issue. I've owned it for 6 months and it has 9500 miles total on the car. Most of the upgrades I see are to add the 1LE package. I know there are a ton of coil-over kits out there but I can't seem to find any information about them other than price.

Are there any shops in SoCal that can be trusted to actually do suspension tuning rather than just throwing some parts at it?
rad23racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
You might consider the Bilstein Struts since they come with hydraulic bump stops built in and seem to take some pretty good hit on my lowered car without any problems.

You might put a zip tie around the shaft of the strut to see if you are using up all of the travel on compression.

I know this isn't what you really asked.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
jneil92

Drives: 2015 1LE
Gotta be honest with you a 1LE is not what you want to daily. The suspension is track oriented so the ride quality is sacrificed for handling. Only reason I bought my 1LE is because I knew I wasn't going to be doing much street driving. They're not terrible like other track inspired suspension cars that I've driven but the ride quality/comfort on a regular SS compared to an SS 1LE is night and day. TLDR; get a good quality adjustable coilover setup if you still want to track your car and get them dialed in to your comfort
jneil92 is offline   Reply With Quote