Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Mod friendly Insurance company's

Me and my fiancee just tried to combine insurance policy's with her Geico one and was denied! They said my engine is to heavily modded to be covered. I even asked if they would cover me if I didn't want my mod's covered and was told no. I have StateFarm and will be sticking with them till the end I pay $124 for 2 cars and homeowners coverage. But they don't know about the mod's! I know USAA isn't mod friendly also. So what other Insurance company's aren't and which are mod friendly??
Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
What exactly are you looking for?

Are you wanting a company to cover the mods or are you simply wanting insurance even if you have them?

I have state farm as well and my agent doesn't care about the mods but won't cover them unless you do an add on policy for them.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Me and my fiancee just tried to combine insurance policy's with her Geico one and was denied! They said my engine is to heavily modded to be covered. I even asked if they would cover me if I didn't want my mod's covered and was told no. I have StateFarm and will be sticking with them till the end I pay $124 for 2 cars and homeowners coverage. But they don't know about the mod's! I know USAA isn't mod friendly also. So what other Insurance company's aren't and which are mod friendly??
For your primary insurance, depending on the cost of your total mods, your best bet may be a dollar value replacement policy. You declare the value, and they write the policy... I'm not current on all the aspects of this, but it's the way I'm going.... Get a automotive appraisal done including everything... labor, parts etc...

As for track time, I am getting a policy that covers my car from the water box to the turn off lane... A friend in houston told me about it... it's was about 2400 a year for the racing only....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
i was told while i was with Statefarm (Currently with Geico now), that as long as i kept reciepts of mods, they would cover it.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The general rule of thumb is the insurance will pay the repair/replacement cost of the stock part. If you want coverage for any additional hardware, it has to be written into your policy.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
What exactly are you looking for?

Are you wanting a company to cover the mods or are you simply wanting insurance even if you have them?

I have state farm as well and my agent doesn't care about the mods but won't cover them unless you do an add on policy for them.
I have insurance, but was wondering if anyone knew of any company's that cover modded cars. Because right now I don't have my mods covered. But would like to have them covered soon. I was just asking the agent if they would cover the car without covering the mod's to see what he would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
For your primary insurance, depending on the cost of your total mods, your best bet may be a dollar value replacement policy. You declare the value, and they write the policy... I'm not current on all the aspects of this, but it's the way I'm going.... Get a automotive appraisal done including everything... labor, parts etc...

As for track time, I am getting a policy that covers my car from the water box to the turn off lane... A friend in houston told me about it... it's was about 2400 a year for the racing only....
My mods are in the 5 digits now. I do want a policy that covers it all also by this spring. And that Track policy sounds interesting, will have to check on that also!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
i was told while i was with Statefarm (Currently with Geico now), that as long as i kept reciepts of mods, they would cover it.
Well I may give my agent a call tomorrow and inquire about mods. But won't say I have them just in case. Geico told me straight up NO because I was to heavily modded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The general rule of thumb is the insurance will pay the repair/replacement cost of the stock part. If you want coverage for any additional hardware, it has to be written into your policy.
Yeah but I think it depends on the mods also. Because he put me on hold and researched my mods MAINLY the turbo's and said no. Because my DD has rims and music and they said they would cover that.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If u don't want to pay a arm and a leg for insurance then when the insurance company asks do u have any Mods u say no and when they ask how often u drive it u say only on the weekends. Insurance companies r not people that u want to tell how fast your car is Lol. U have to pay to play now it would be cool if u can find a insurance company that will cover your Mods but even if u do it will not be cheap.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I have Liberty Mutual and Everytime I Mod I send them receipts, and Im covered. over 6grand now, and way more to come.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
flyman3

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
AAA is awesome. Hit some kind of animal awhile ago and chipped my painted orange hockey stripes (bumper was cracked too). Got a couple of quotes and sent them in. AAA called and asked if I put them on afterwards. I said yes, and they say alright check is in the mail!! Best part is, premium didn't go up since it was an animal, just had to pay $500 deductible.
Mods so far: 20% tint, Solo Mach X Exhaust, Custom Hockey Stick Stripes from MPD1, RevXtreme Catch Can, 6.2L emblems from Emblempros, Stealth turn signal bulbs, Skip Shift Eliminator from Apex-Speed, MPD1 Spoiler, custom painted Sparks SS emblems by MPD, MPD Force 5 hood, custom painted ZL1 bumper by MPD, MPD smooth rear panel, C.A.I. intake to seal with hood, ARH 1 7'8" headers with Hi-flow cats, ceramic brake pads, Factory Reproductions Style 41 black ZL1 wheels, Painted calipers to match stripes, ADM ZL1 scoop, showstopper markers, Norris custom cam, Tuned by Mike Norris 464 HP, 425 TQ.
flyman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Is it a daily driver? If not, get a collector car insurance like Grundy. They will insure your car for an agreed value, and they don't care about mods. But, there are some usage limitations that apply.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
You guys need to READ your auto policy, cover to cover. I don't know of any general auto insurance company (State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc....) that wants to cover any vehicle that has been modified to go faster. They do offer a rider for aftermarket parts and special paint jobs. Their definition of aftermarket parts would typically be electronics that are installed that are not located in the dash, such as dvd players, tv screens, trunk mounted audio equipment. Their company's underwriting guides strictly prohibit insuring cars with "modified" steering, suspension, and go fast parts. PLEASE don't rely just on your agent's word! He might not have the correct answer. Also don't think for a second that your policy covers you during a street race or at a track or drag strip. You will quickly learn what "CNC" means; Claim Not Covered.
There are some specialty companies that do cover "modified" cars made for speed, but they have a lot of qualifications in order for you to meet their underwriting guidelines.
That is why, in the long run, it is just cheaper and economically safer to buy a faster car to begin with; ie ... buying the ZL1 > SS > 2LT. Believe me I know what I am talking about!
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
Also, don't think that lying to your agent about not telling him about your "go fast" parts would allow the claim to be paid. It is at the time of the CLAIM that you have your documentation from the insurance COMPANY, not the agent, that they are aware of your vehicle's engine alterations and are willing to pay for your liability claim as well as your collision/comprehensive claim to your satisfaction. At the time of the claim, it is too late to backpedal and try to get fully compensated for your damages. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
katman is offline   Reply With Quote