Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #603
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What's the best, most performance and street oriented alignment that you can get on a mostly stock set up? Finally deciding to get an alignment done lol

Only things I have changed are a square 275/40/20 set up and zl1 sway bars front and rear. I've been looking at the caster blocks/adjustable bolts (eccentric?) in case the caster will really help.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 06-10-2016 at 08:35 AM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #604
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I don't doubt that 0.24° works for more firmly bushed cars; that's not my question.

What I am trying to get at is the reason for changing the recommendation for aftermarket-bushed cars when it's not likely that the aftermarket bushings have been made softer in the meantime. The net end result is a lot clearer than the 'why' behind it.

Norm
That's it!

The 0.24 is TOTAL Toe IN for the rear on any car.

Rear Toe in 0.12 Per Side, Total Rear Toe IN 0.24

I knew if we kept talking what was not making sense to you would come out as we could clear it up.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #605
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 0.24 is TOTAL Toe IN for the rear on any car.

Rear Toe in 0.12 Per Side, Total Rear Toe IN 0.24
I realize all that.

We aren't quite there yet. The note in red ↓↓↓ from "the book" (~0.12° total) disagrees with the recommendation given earlier in this thread where everything now uses 0.24° total. I'm trying to find out why that was changed. By PM if you'd rather.

Norm
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #606
JusticePete

Old table that simply needs to be replaced.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #607
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Old table that simply needs to be replaced.
Especially because it says the stock FE4 car should have less than a tenth of a degree of camber. lol
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #608
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Especially because it says the stock FE4 car should have less than a tenth of a degree of camber. lol
Good get!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #609
xc_SS/RS

Alignment happening next Monday. What specs should I have the shop aim for? Street set up, spirited driving usually every day down some twisty roads. Looking for good tire wear as well. 275/40/20 all around on stock 9" wheels, ZL1 front and rear sway bars.

Advice for alignment specs?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #610
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Alignment happening next Monday. What specs should I have the shop aim for? Street set up, spirited driving usually every day down some twisty roads. Looking for good tire wear as well. 275/40/20 all around on stock 9" wheels, ZL1 front and rear sway bars.

Advice for alignment specs?
Front Camber -1.00
Front Toe 0.00
Rear Camber -0.50
Rear Toe IN 0.12
Total Rear Toe IN 0.24
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #611
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Front Camber -1.00
Front Toe 0.00
Rear Camber -0.50
Rear Toe IN 0.12
Total Rear Toe IN 0.24
Sweet, thanks JP! If I were to add castor locks myself down the line would that require any adjustments to the alignment or would it be ok to just add them?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #612
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Sweet, thanks JP! If I were to add castor locks myself down the line would that require any adjustments to the alignment or would it be ok to just add them?
It will. As you pull the radius arms forward it will change toe.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #613
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
It will. As you pull the radius arms forward it will change toe.
Interesting and good to know for future reference. Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #614
1LEguy

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE BY
I'm at the shop now. They cannot get the rear driver's side camber at 0 and the toe in at .12 in. Over 3hours. Anyone have input if should compromise on the camber or toe. I was thinking the toe in less, say, at .09 per side. Any thoughts.
1LEguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #615
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEguy View Post
I'm at the shop now. They cannot get the rear driver's side camber at 0 and the toe in at .12 in. Over 3hours. Anyone have input if should compromise on the camber or toe. I was thinking the toe in less, say, at .09 per side. Any thoughts.
The toe and rear camber adjustment work against each other just like caster and toe in an A style control arm. There is limited adjustment range with the OE eccentric bolts, just under1 degree. If max negative camber is say -1.7 because the car has been lowered, the absolute best rear camber number would be -0.70. Because toe is involved, it may be a bit less.

The tech should set both the toe and camber eccentric to a neutral position, where the eccentric is not touching the adjustment 'fences'. Then the tech sets camber to the minimum achievable number and starts making the toe adjustment. What you get at that point, is the best you can get.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of techs that don't understand this. Your car may hav been adjusted as well as it can be adjusted with the factory eccentrics. I do make rear camber eccentrics that have a range of 2 degrees. For lowered cars, they are a necessity.

You can print this page and take it back to the shop. http://www.jpssonline.com/the-book-f...-2010-camaro-2

This is a link to the Black Magic Camber Bolts. http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-bla...-caster-bolts/

Or you could make a #roaddtrip to JPSS
Old 06-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #616
1LEguy

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE BY
Quote:
The toe and rear camber adjustment work against each other just like caster and toe in an A style control arm. There is limited adjustment range with the OE eccentric bolts, just under1 degree. If max negative camber is say -1.7 because the car has been lowered, the absolute best rear camber number would be -0.70. Because toe is involved, it may be a bit less.

The tech should set both the toe and camber eccentric to a neutral position, where the eccentric is not touching the adjustment 'fences'. Then the tech sets camber to the minimum achievable number and starts making the toe adjustment. What you get at that point, is the best you can get.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of techs that don't understand this. Your car may hav been adjusted as well as it can be adjusted with the factory eccentrics. I do make rear camber eccentrics that have a range of 2 degrees. For lowered cars, they are a necessity.

You can print this page and take it back to the shop. http://www.jpssonline.com/the-book-f...-2010-camaro-2

This is a link to the Black Magic Camber Bolts. http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-bla...-caster-bolts/

Or you could make a #roaddtrip to JPSS
Thank you for the quick reply and help. Unfortunately, my phone battery died, so I was unable to pass this along. The car is all stock, except I do have new Factory Reproductions 20x10 23mm offset all-around on 285/35's for my street set. At the end when I went out he couldn't get camber in factory spec with the toe within factory spec and vice versa. I remember seeing - 1.5 camber with the toe in spec (I forget the value but it showed green). And I remember seeing -.6 camber (green in spec), but then the toe was like 2 degrees... They felt something was wrong and are going to flat bed the car to the dealer tomorrow morning. They said the rear passenger went to the settings (.12 toe in and 0 camber) easily and the both sides of front (0 toe and -1 camber) too. I'll pass the info along to them though. Thanks again.

And a road trip sounds like a great idea!
1LEguy is offline   Reply With Quote