Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I haven't paid to get my tire pressure regulated once with Nitrogen, it's been free every time... sorry for your $5 rip-off
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
The only benefit of nitrogen, is the tires will maintain the air pressure for longer periods of time. But if your always on dirt roads then there is no point

Sent From My Droid
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
I guess about the only benefit I could think of when pumping pure N2 gas into your tires is that nitrogen is less prone to pressure deviation upon temperature changes, leading to consistent inflation. The difference between 'air' and nitrogen is about 20%.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
JWood
RJT 2LT is a blast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2004 Tahoe
Nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I had the $5US/tire nitrogen fill and they vary between 36 and 34 80F to 20F.

What more do you want?
I think you are exaggerating as both air and nitrogen will change 1.9% per 10 degrees. The amount of moisture has a bigger effect so keep your air dry.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
When i lived in North Pole Alaska all our cars had Nitrogen in the tires, just this morning it was -51 degrees below zero, up there it helps with driving on square tires till they heat up plus tire pressure stays more constant with the constant varying of the temperatures!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Camaro View Post
oxygen is made up of a little over 70% of nitrogen, Nitrogen has bigger particles so it leaks through the tire rubber at a slower rate. The rest of the particles leak faster. So if you think about it, every time you put air in your tires, you increase the percentage of nitrogen in them. You will never be at 100% but definately close after many fill ups lol.

Thats just how i look at it. my .02
Yep, totally agree. Except I know you meant air not oxygen. Explained it the same way to my co-worker awhile back. He looked puzzled, jaw dropped and then got it. We hammered him about for about a month. Pretty funny, situational.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
When i lived in North Pole Alaska all our cars had Nitrogen in the tires, just this morning it was -51 degrees below zero, up there it helps with driving on square tires till they heat up plus tire pressure stays more constant with the constant varying of the temperatures!
You Eskimo's and your oneupmanship on temp variations.

-51 is too fricken cold for me. Is it a dry or wet cold?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #22
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
If done correctly (big if depending on dealer), I think its a big plus. I live in SE Arizona with big (40 degree or more) temp swings and the tire pressures are way more stable. Plus they do not bleed off "air" as quickly. I've only had to add air 4 times in 2 years and part of that was lowering them down at a high temp location.

All being said, compressor and regular checking can't be beat. Mine was part of the deal and dealer fills for free.

Can't really vouch for track experience. Too busy trying not to loose it

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Nitrogen is the way to go, it keeps the rubber inside the tires to "live" longer, less moisture dryout, keeps the pressure more stable, larger molecules so IF you get a screw or nail in the tire, the air leaks out less ....especially if the car sits for periods of time, air pressure is more stable, I have an aviation background and only used in jets tires as well...I put it in all my collector, and even in my car trailers, trailers have a big swing in tire pressure when towing...also with less tire pressure swing, less heat which is a big problem with rubber tires....my $.02
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Nitrogen is not worth paying for in a street car. Air is actually about 80% nitrogen. Compressed nitrogen IS dryer than compressed air coming out of a compressor but is that worth the expense and effort to find it and pay for it when you need to top off?

The factory does not use it or recomend it. Pirelli says in writing they will not warranty your tires if you use it. So WHY bother?

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Nitrogen is not worth paying for in a street car. Air is actually about 80% nitrogen. Compressed nitrogen IS dryer than compressed air coming out of a compressor but is that worth the expense and effort to find it and pay for it when you need to top off?

The factory does not use it or recomend it. Pirelli says in writing they will not warranty your tires if you use it. So WHY bother?

-Mark.
That's funny I don't see anything on Pirelli's warranty about it being not covered if you fill your tires with nitrogen. http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ca...l#.Twh8FYdZ674.

Not covered:
P-Metric tires used on commercial vehicles or used in commercial applications. Tires transferred from another vehicle on which they were originally installed. Tires on any vehicle registered and normally operated outside the United States of America or Canada. Tires which have been recapped, or retreaded, or regrooved. Tires used in racing or other competitive events. Tires improperly repaired or with repairs not conforming to Rubber Manufacturers Association standards, or with section repairs, or with self-vulcanizing plug only. Tires which have been modified by the addition or removal of material or any tire intentionally altered to change its appearance. Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium. Tires with weather cracking which were purchased more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment (If no proof of purchase date is available, tires manufactured four or more years prior to presentation for adjustment). Tire unserviceability caused by tire operation in excess of tire/wheel manufacturers' specifications and recommendations. Ride related anomalies after the first 2/32" of treadwear. Tires which are mis-applied due to insufficient speed rating, or undersized, or oversized tires. Tires which become unserviceable because of a mechanical irregularity in the vehicle such as misalignment, defective brakes, defective shock absorbers, or improper rims. Tires damaged by fire, chemical corrosion, vandalism, wrecks, chains, theft, run while flat, underinflated, overinflated, or abused during servicing. Flat Spotting caused by improper transport or storage. Tires which become unserviceable because of road hazard injuries (e.g., nails, glass, metal objects) or other penetrations or snags, bruises or impact damage. Tires damaged from improper mounting practices. Tire dealer/retailer services (e.g., mounting, dismounting, balancing, tire rotation, or wheel alignment). Mileage warranty is not applicable to tires fitted as Original Equipment. Tires removed in pairs or sets where no abnormality exists in multiple tires. Summer tires used at or below 45F (7C) ambient temperature.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
I've got a nitrogen generator I was going to set up in the trailer. Just don't think there is any advantage for street driving or drag racing. If I road raced, it may be a different story.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Nitrogen molecues are larger than oxygen. A pure nitrogen fill will usually result in less air loss through the tire walls, and more stable air pressure as temperature increases. That said, is it worth the hassle? No.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
If a dealer uses it as an upsell, than I don't trust it.

Sounds like one of those applications where only use in extreme circumstances will result any noticeable observations.

I don't know, it sounds like mileage booster snake oils and grounding wires that "increase mileage AND performance!".
-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote