Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #463
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Ls7 = $14,000
Ls3 = $7799
Less than $7000 price difference.
Add that to a base 1le camaro $35,000
Thats $42, 000

Even if you add the cost of a LS7 to a 1le that is about $50,000 with a spare ls3 left over
here's what you're missing (pay attention!)

YOu cannot just swap out one engine for another -

Did you notice that they don't have 'carburetor linkages' anymore? All of that is electronic - all of that has to be created and tested and evaluated and validated.......................$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lesson over.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #464
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Thanks for the helpful post. Really, above and beyond
Asked, and answered...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #465
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Number 3 knows of what he speaks. For those of you who do not agree - I'll be happy to meet with you in person along with Number 3 and we'll make you look foolish.

I hate to be abrupt - but some people pretend to know this business when in fact they haven't a clue. (......and they buy a 2007 Shelby.....) Sorry, I could not resist.
Quote:
and isn't it great that Chevy DOES offer you alternatives? Let's also celebrate that - but let's also not sell the Z/28 short - esp. until you see REAL numbers from Nurburgring.
...and answered, again...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #466
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I had a C6 Z06 that had AC, and a radio, and only weighed 3180lbs. And it didnt cost that much. They arent going to fly off the showroom floor at that rate. Yikes!
These aren't ever going to be on the showroom floor!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #467
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Exactly!! I have been pointing this out often here lately. This is the car to offer in 2015 but some folks here continue to miss out on it or keep their blinders on. And the prices you mention are retail and not what GM pays for them, it can be done and should be done. Although 1SS 1LE is closer to $38k and your going to want the $2000 recaros, so we are around $40k and can put that LS7 in and for right around $50k.
see my post above.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #468
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
I was glad to see Chevrolet build a new Z/28 that truly lives up to it's heritage, I think they did an awesome job. I understand that given how it is equipped and it's low production numbers, the MSRP is what it is, I think it is a real bargain for what is there. Unfortunately at this point in time it will be out of my budget capability, I know that those who can afford it will be getting an awesome vehicle!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #469
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
here's what you're missing (pay attention!)

YOu cannot just swap out one engine for another -

Did you notice that they don't have 'carburetor linkages' anymore? All of that is electronic - all of that has to be created and tested and evaluated and validated.......................$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lesson over.
What has to be created? Its already made. I see a harness and mounts to male this work as everything else is already out on the vette.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #470
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm somewhat surprised by the shock and disappointment expressed by some in this thread.

How soon we forget and become a spoiled group of enthusiasts.

The Camaro was gone for some 7 model years. Yes, gone. Finished. No option. Mustangs abound.

Then a glimmer of hope for the Chevy faithful came in 2006.

Then it came in mid 2009 and it did not disappoint.

Then a model and or option list to meet the needs of all was formed.

A 300+ hp V6. Several SS flavors, including an RS package, HUD. Then a Z that turned out to be the ZL1, what a car that is. Then a 1LE option for SS, what an amazing bang for the buck option that is. Then a restyled front and rear that is really nice. Oh yeah, Ricaro seats.

Then the return of a legendary model, engineered true to its heritage. Yes, it's expensive, as it should be. Take an economics class, it makes sense. High feature, highly engineered, exotic components, low volume, race car.

Do we the Chevrolet Camaro enthusiast faithful really have any footing from which to complain? If you find yourself complaining about this price, check yourself. I think the return of the Camaro through the 5th Gen platform has been a smashing success. I don't think that we could have hoped for it to be any better.

I really can't wait to see what the next platform has to offer, because this one has been incredible.
Thank you for a voice of reason.

The post above was where I stopped reading in this thread - not because I don't want to but because I don't have the time right now and a few people make me want to throw myself in front of a speeding truck.

I really really really really really really wish some of the naysayers on this thread that are indeed prospective buyers for the new Z/28 (and I say that because I suspect most are not....) could see what Al and company went thru to get the Z/28 sold to the company. You haven't a clue.

Next I wish people could see the REAL interworkings of automotive development and WHAT THE REAL COSTS ARE (hint: it's not the hardware, rather it's the software and development costs......)

No one on this site has seen what this car can really do (although we did take a moderator or two or three around the Milford Road Course in Z/28s - and the videos are out there....let that be a guide perhaps?) -- and yet we have people pooh-poohing the car.

It makes me wonder why we even bother at times - and then I wake up and realize that most people are simply in love with this car - whether or not they can afford it......and it's THOSE people who inspire us.

So - for those of you who think the car is overpriced -- so be it. We cannot lose money on the car and we aren't making a ton of money on it - it's a HALO car.

Lastly CAFE does affect how many cars and trucks we can build with performance V8s -- get used to it or vote your elected officials out of office.

Now - I'm going downstairs to complete more paperwork for Monday morning (that assumes I don't freeze to death first! )
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #471
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
What has to be created? Its already made. I see a harness and mounts to male this work as everything else is already out on the vette.
Have you ever looked over your tuners shoulder at his laptop screen. Those software programs are very complex and your tuner only touches a small percentage of that. GM has to develop and test software for changes like this.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #472
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
His point is the you can't only count the cost of the motor when deciding on putting another power plant in. There are many more parts and pieces involved that don't make your math correct.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #473
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
These "Why is the Z/28 so expensive?" and the "Why is the 5.0 GT faster than an A6 SS?" have got to be some of the most frustrating threads on this forum... SMDH

People will keep these alive till the point of frustration.

Personally I am making sure my SS 1LE is faster than even a worked 5.0 GT and I think the Z/28 is priced just fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #474
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
and isn't it great that Chevy DOES offer you alternatives? Let's also celebrate that - but let's also not sell the Z/28 short - esp. until you see REAL numbers from Nurburgring.
can you elaborate on REAL numbers? We have the press release with "official" numbers and we know it ran faster but are new "real" numbers coming or to be expected?
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #475
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Have you ever looked over your tuners shoulder at his laptop screen. Those software programs are very complex and your tuner only touches a small percentage of that. GM has to develop software for changes like this.
I rarely use "tuners". Actually in my entire life I have had one car tuned by someone other than me. Sole reason for that is that I think SCT and their software sucks.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #476
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
There were over 200 changes made to the Z/28.... Each and everyone of them has to be R&D and "validated". It's not plug and play like a lot of people seem to be thinking.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote