Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
96ss1664

Drives: 1996 Z28/SS, 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Anybody know what the torque specs on the header bolts are?
GM spec is 18 but have read people range anywhere between 18-22 ft lbs.
13 Camaro ZL1 IOM #3976
96 SS Camaro #1664, 04 2500 Dirtymax

ZL1 Current Mods: KOOKS 2" w/orp, BTR Stage 3 Cam, LPE 2.55, LPE 9.1, ATI Damper, LPE Isolator Coupling, LPE CAI, Ported TB/Snout/Blower, JMS BAP, ID-850, 160 T, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Elite Eng CC Gen2...
96ss1664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #16
AquaSSRS

Drives: formerly a AGM ZL1 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechzl1 View Post
My engine has a "tick" at idle that is not related to the headers. You can hear it from the wheel wells and under the car decently. With the hood pope you can't hear it. Thought it was a lifter but honestly doesn't sound metal on metal nor is it that loud but it increases with rpm. it drives me up a wall. Honestly hate it, it's prominent on the driver side front wheel well towards the back of my motor. I talked to a few other people and said theirs make the same noise.... car has 4500 miles on it
My car has the exact same noise. Not sure if it is an exhaust leak or something else like the injectors or lifter noise. Once I get it in the air to install my wideband kit I will check it out. It is definitely more pronounced on the driver side.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Mechzl1

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Let me know what you find, everyone else who has the same sound has told me they gave up trying to figure out what it is
Mechzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I've owned three cars with headers (not the Z) and they all had the ticking exhaust leak sound. Changing gaskets and torquing helps for a while but it comes back. Best I had was with copper gaskets but that would be a problem with aluminum heads and block.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #19
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Any sound clips of this problem?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #20
Fulton 1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechzl1 View Post
My engine has a "tick" at idle that is not related to the headers. You can hear it from the wheel wells and under the car decently. With the hood pope you can't hear it. Thought it was a lifter but honestly doesn't sound metal on metal nor is it that loud but it increases with rpm. it drives me up a wall. Honestly hate it, it's prominent on the driver side front wheel well towards the back of my motor. I talked to a few other people and said theirs make the same noise.... car has 4500 miles on it
Mine also makes this tick noise and your description is 100% accurate for me as well. For reference, mine is a 2013 with only 2900 miles and all stock except for a Roto-Fab CAI.

It's hard to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from, but I hear it best with my ear just behind the driver's side tire and under the car or right by the wheel well. With hood open and engine running I can clearly hear the injectors and that's not it nor is it the "jar of marbles" sound that the blower coupler makes (I had my blower replaced under warranty some months ago so that noise is thankfully gone). Sounds almost like it's coming from the lower, aft side of the engine, but it's not a "bottom end" sound. More of a tick sound - not a classic exhaust leak sound, but something like that.

I can only really hear the noise at idle and it doesn't immediately show itself upon a cold start. Seems to need to warm up a little bit to make itself heard. I notice it most when in the garage or a parking structure where you get some sound reflection and standing beside the car. I cannot hear it from inside the car or while driving even with the window down.

I've only recently noticed the noise and decided, just to be safe, to pull off the valve covers and check for a bad valve spring. I did that last night and everything looked good - springs all in one piece and rockers tight. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll climb under there this week and check the factory exhaust clamps. Will also try and get a video of it if possible.

FWIW, I was poking around on youtube and this guy's exhaust leak is the closest noise that I could find to it: https://youtu.be/dqBuJKtzgc8
Fulton 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #21
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton 1 View Post
Mine also makes this tick noise and your description is 100% accurate for me as well. For reference, mine is a 2013 with only 2900 miles and all stock except for a Roto-Fab CAI.

It's hard to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from, but I hear it best with my ear just behind the driver's side tire and under the car or right by the wheel well. With hood open and engine running I can clearly hear the injectors and that's not it nor is it the "jar of marbles" sound that the blower coupler makes (I had my blower replaced under warranty some months ago so that noise is thankfully gone). Sounds almost like it's coming from the lower, aft side of the engine, but it's not a "bottom end" sound. More of a tick sound - not a classic exhaust leak sound, but something like that.

I can only really hear the noise at idle and it doesn't immediately show itself upon a cold start. Seems to need to warm up a little bit to make itself heard. I notice it most when in the garage or a parking structure where you get some sound reflection and standing beside the car. I cannot hear it from inside the car or while driving even with the window down.

I've only recently noticed the noise and decided, just to be safe, to pull off the valve covers and check for a bad valve spring. I did that last night and everything looked good - springs all in one piece and rockers tight. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll climb under there this week and check the factory exhaust clamps. Will also try and get a video of it if possible.

FWIW, I was poking around on youtube and this guy's exhaust leak is the closest noise that I could find to it: https://youtu.be/dqBuJKtzgc8
Add me to the list...mine has that same noise, let us know if you find anything. It's annoying...
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #22
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Use high temp rtv on the clamp.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote