Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Kevzag

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible LT V6
Cai, catch can, throttle booster

Ok, I am new and not a mechanic. Looking for your expertise. Recently bought a 2013 V6 convertible Camaro. I love it like a second wife. I have been buying car candy for it and of course the mods to increase hp., without breaking the bank.
It came with MF mufflers .
I have added a Specter cai, Peddle Commander throttle booster, Jet MAF sensor , and a Performance chip.
The throttle booster really made a difference.
Looking to buy a good oil catch can , would like suggestions and recommendations.
I also want to upgrade my cai.
I was looking at the V6 Vararam Ram Air Intake Syst. The design makes sense for added cai and hp. Any thoughts on the OTR cai compared to others. Any recommendations. you

Pics later
Kevzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
2012 - 2015 V6 Camaros have the LFX engine (2010 - 2011 have LLT) and so the Vararam won't fit (only LLT). If you already have the Specter I'd probably leave it at that; you may get a few more HP from a different one but a few more HP that you won't even notice for $400 isn't worth it to me (although that's just me...). With that said, I have the K&N Typhoon and love it - sounds great!

I also have the Elite Engineering catch can; can't say anything about any other catch can but this one seems to work - after ~6000km the can is 1/3rd full so it's definitely working!

Depending on how much $$$ you want to spend, you can also get yourself a ported throttle body (76mm compared to the factory 72mm), or go for the 80mm for a few more bucks. There are also people out there porting the factory intake manifolds, or you can get yourself a "LaminatorFX" from JacFab to simulate a ported manifold for a lot less $$$. JacFab also sells a manifold spacer which adds some low-end torque.

For the exhaust you can do high-flow cats or go cat-less, and from there a cat-back or axle-back exhaust (although these are more for sound and won't get you much if any HP - the high-flow cats/cat-less downpipes are where the power's at).

And then once you're done with the intake and exhaust you can get yourself a tune!
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Kevzag

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into the K&N cai and pick up an Elite catch can. I will check out a larger th and/or Laminator FX.
Thanks again

I forgot to mention I do have a spacer on the tb.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
IMHO the LFX engine is a well engineered machine as received from the factory. Installing aftermarket add-ons may only result in a placebo effect and may just lighten your wallet and induce problems that will take the enjoyment out of your beautiful cruiser. A catch can is a must, I have one from Radium Engineering on my V6 and it is a quality item. You didn't mention if it's a manual or auto trans. Regardless, I would leave the engine mods to a minimum, focus on tire and suspension improvements as maintenance dictates. If you're really after power, a V8 would have been a more desirable and economical starting point.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I got my catch cans, with drain valves, for $18.00 each.

I got the hose and hard line from the shop, so that was free...

For under $40, I got them both covered...

$60 for the intake, complained about fitment, got $20 back...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
I went with a Dual Valve Elite Engineering E2-X Catch Can and Clean Side Separator. One can does the job of the two shown above. The Elite Engineering can is large, with a valve on the bottom to drain the contents. The set up above is routed differently than how I have the Elite Engineering set up on mine, with the port on the rear of the driver's side plugged. If you want a cheap set up, this is not what you're looking foe, however if you want something really nice that works, this is it.

I'm running the AFE Magnum Force P5R CAI

Pic pre Dual Valve and Clean Side Separator set up.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Ditch the "chip" and the throttle body spacer. No measurable gains. But there are plenty of mods for the V6, plus proper tuning. If you're gonna put an intake on, grab an intake scoop. High flow or catless if you aren't subject to emissions testing. There's a ported intake manifold, oversized throttle body. Small stuff you can do. Definitely get a catch can though...cheap insurance.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Kevzag

Thanks for the info. I agree with Arizona, but I figure there are a few things I can do for added improvement.
My camaro is an automatic.
I did purchase a catch can kit from Summit.
Questions:
Looking at your AFE cai, is it worth and/or possible to change it to change aluminum to a polymer tube for better airflow? If so where could I find just that piece with the required attachments for the MAF sensor?
The tb spacer isn't hurting anything, I would leave it.
Who has a scoop for a 3.6l. I like that idea.
Thanks again. Hopefully I can figure out how to attach pics. Ok, how do you attach pic?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Kevzag

Figured it out....pics of my ride ....trying to
Attached Images

Last edited by Kevzag; 05-08-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
No matter how extensive your modding goes that is a very good looking automobile. I know you mentioned you're "not a mechanic" but I think you'll discover the maintenance items are fairly straight forward. Enjoy your ride and when you have spare time page through some of the old threads and posts in this forum. A lot of knowledge and expertise with a bit of humor thrown in for good measure.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
Kevzag

To all of you, thanks for input, I do appreciate it.
I live in Alaska where I avoid winter driving and garage my rig. We had a late winter and the snow is finally melting and the sun is out. Time to go riding. A bit too cold for the top to come down just yet, though.
My son in law works week ends at the local drag strip.
1/4 Mi., oval and figure 8. Amateurs can line up with the pros on the 1/4 Mi. track for $25 to test and tune their rigs. First time for me, ran twice. Fairly comical looking at the video and watching my take off compared to the built to the gills Challenger. So, with a Specter cai, Performance chip, Jet MAF, and Jet tb spacer my times were Rxn time= 1.1468, 60ft = 2.4237 1/4 Mi = 15.224 and 1/4 Mi = 91.98. I am not out for a trophy, obviously but I have room for improvement. My rxn time is something I have to work on and the throttle response will be a lot better with the Pedal Commander and I can tinker with the cai....a better tube, and a scoop might give me some cheap hp.
The pics show some car candy I bought and me at the race track, way behind the Challenger. His rxn time was .2606 sec. Let alone the mods. Holy #",&:#.
Take care
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
On the subject of Catch Cans, I tried a half dozen brands and the Elite Catch Can is the very best, in my opinion. My valves are clean and I do not worry about build up anymore.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
what company provides the widest intake tube for the LFX. I dont care if it needs tuning. Seems like the aftermarket intake tubes are maybe 2". do any of the LS3 tubes fit and does our MAF fit in the LS3 tube without issue ?

V6 Camaro bolt ons and E85
Tuned by Tampa Tuning
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #14
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
what company provides the widest intake tube for the LFX. I dont care if it needs tuning. Seems like the aftermarket intake tubes are maybe 2". do any of the LS3 tubes fit and does our MAF fit in the LS3 tube without issue ?
You can put an aftermarket V8 style intake tube on the LFX. You just need to get the proper sized TB coupler.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, oil catch can, ram air