Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
TRADED CAMARO FOR ECOBOOST, WOW!

In preparation for getting a ZL1 I've been looking at trading my camaro ,and I was also in market for a truck. I drove the 3.5 Ecoboost, the 5.0l and the 6.2l Supercrew 4x4 versions of Fords new f150 on Saturday ,and all I can say is "WOW!". That little V-6 feels like a big block and a diesel combined into one. I liked it so much that I traded my Camaro and my current truck without even looking at Dodge or Chevy. Well, I already knew what chevy had because that's what I traded. I hope it is as durable as it runs ,but I'm really not to worried about that. Now all I have to do is get my ZL1 and all will be right with the world.

Ford is making great trucks right now. I like the Chevys the best in the heavy duty line up ,but in this light duty segment I think Ford is on top right now. As for Dodge, I think using the hemi name to sell a mediocre truck is going to bite them in the ass soon. I know too many people that have countless problems with them.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-22-2011 at 08:19 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Ecoboom? Cool. Post pics!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Its a nice engine, but not really all that more economical fuel economy wise like Ford would have you believe. 16/22 isn't exactly great.

Last edited by TOMS1SS; 08-22-2011 at 08:21 AM.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Its a nice engine, but not really all that more economical fuel economy wise like Ford would have you believe.
I put 358 miles on it since Saturday and I'm averaging 20.1MPG with a mix of town and city driving. That was after I reset it from doing a couple of hard throttle starts to test the power. I do agree with you that it isn't going to get the MPG that Ford claims ,but that wasn't what made me buy it. It was the fact that it really halls the mail. I had a vortec Max that ran great ,but this thing even feels stronger than that.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Ecoboom? Cool. Post pics!

I'll post some pic's tomorrow after I get it cleaned up. It rained yesterday and it's quite dirty right now. I also didn't think that anyone would really care to see any picks.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Its a nice engine, but not really all that more economical fuel economy wise like Ford would have you believe.
Very true. The primary benefit is getting more power out of smaller engines. There really isn't much of an FE gain, especially with the F-150.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I put 358 miles on it since Saturday and I'm averaging 20.1MPG with a mix of town and city driving. That was after I reset it from doing a couple of hard throttle starts to test the power. I do agree with you that it isn't going to get the MPG that Ford claims ,but that wasn't what made me buy it. It was the fact that it really halls the mail. I had a vortec Max that ran great ,but this thing even feels stronger than that.

Damn skippy, I watched a test vs. a Ram Hemi and the Ecoboost smoked it in every single category of performance you'd want on a truck.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
motorhead

Quote:
Damn skippy, I watched a test vs. a Ram Hemi and the Ecoboost smoked it in every single category of performance you'd want on a truck.
I know, I couldn't believe it. I saw one run on youtube where is did a 14.97 in the 1/4 mile. I would love to see this kind of thing in a camaro or a corvette.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
BigDan

Drives: bug
Cool, you do know the 5.0L is faster and e85 ready from the factory.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Quote:
I'll post some pic's tomorrow after I get it cleaned up. It rained yesterday and it's quite dirty right now. I also didn't think that anyone would really care to see any picks.
We are CAR/TRUCK people on this forum...show 'em off!!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Cool, you do know the 5.0L is faster and e85 ready from the factory.
Your wrong on both accounts from what I've seen and read. The ecoboost is designed to run on e85 also ,and I haven't seen a test yet that show's the 5.0l as being faster. Even if it is ,what I didn't like about the 5.0l was the throttle response. It was just like the 5.4l. You step on the gas and after what feels like forever it decided to go. When I tested them all side by side the 5.0l lost speed while going up a hill until it decided to down shift and take off. I did love the sound of the 5.0l but not enough to buy it over the ecoboost. Believe me I was hoping to like the 5.0l better. I told my brother that I bought a V-6 truck and he said he was making sure his will was up to date because the world was soon going to end.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If the world ends, why would anyone care if their will was updated?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
TOMS1SS

Quote:
I know, I couldn't believe it. I saw one run on youtube where is did a 14.97 in the 1/4 mile. I would love to see this kind of thing in a camaro or a corvette.
There has been talk of it in the Camaro. I'd be in favor of it as an option but the community reaction has been "negative" to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
My Camaro and I are get shot into space in a freezer, bring on the end.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
That's funny. I guess that was a dumb comment that he made to me ,but at least I got his point.