Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Battery completely dead, replace or upgrade

My battery is dead, and trying to figure out if I should just replace, or consider upgrading

My car has a few upgrades

-HID 8000k
-upgraded double din alpine head unit
-JL Audio C5 650s
-JL 10w7 sub
-JL slash amps, one for speakers, one for sub

I think that's it electrical wise. Should I get a better battery or just replace it for cheap? If I should upgrade, any suggestions for the best battery? Thanks
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Nice system, DIY or did you pay a shop to install and how long ago?

What amps?

There is a known power bleed if you leave the keys in the ignition in the garage, but otherwise I am unfamiliar with a scenario that would drain the battery. You mention 'dead' though, how so? Did the electrical system seem to slowly get weaker until death over time? Loud music on a ton of short trips? Sit in a parking lot for awhile with loud music while driving once a week? This is a system drain and car not being driven long enough to recharge the battery with the OEM alternator.

I would buy an AGM battery to start. If it dies, then upgrade the alternator.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
I paid a shop for most of the work around Feb 2014

My speaker amp is a JL 300/4v2 and my sub amp is a JL 500/1v2

Was out in the city yesterday parked on a meter on the street. When I was ready to head back home, car wouldn't start. Called AAA, they used cables and got my engine to turn on. However when I started driving I noticed none of the electronics worked. Speedo and RPM and all gauges not working. Screens were off including head unit, and no AC. The screen MPH screen would come on intermittently but was always 0 mph even when driving. Also showed my car had 0 miles lol.

Anyway, made it home but once I turned off the car, I couldn't turn it back on at all. Even got a friend to use cables again but it did nothing. So I'm assuming the battery is dead, but I'm not super savvy with this stuff. It didn't seem like a slow drain in power. Everything seemed to work strong until it all stopped
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
mdntmank

Drives: ADM TUNED AND BUILT
alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
I paid a shop for most of the work around Feb 2014

My speaker amp is a JL 300/4v2 and my sub amp is a JL 500/1v2

Was out in the city yesterday parked on a meter on the street. When I was ready to head back home, car wouldn't start. Called AAA, they used cables and got my engine to turn on. However when I started driving I noticed none of the electronics worked. Speedo and RPM and all gauges not working. Screens were off including head unit, and no AC. The screen MPH screen would come on intermittently but was always 0 mph even when driving. Also showed my car had 0 miles lol.

Anyway, made it home but once I turned off the car, I couldn't turn it back on at all. Even got a friend to use cables again but it did nothing. So I'm assuming the battery is dead, but I'm not super savvy with this stuff. It didn't seem like a slow drain in power. Everything seemed to work strong until it all stopped
sounds like it might be the alternator actually or some electrical issue
mdntmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

5 yr old original battery? The symptoms point to the battery as that system (professionally installed) should not be stressing the Camaro electrical at all, even at idle. You could pay a little more and get a deep cycle / marine / AGM battery if you like, though an OEM should be just fine. I would call the shop that performed the install to get their assessment first, but should be an easy fix.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
baddmans
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT
It could be the alternator trying to keep a battery fully charged with all the extra equipment draining the battery. If you put a higher cold cranking amp battery in your car, then the alternator will not be able to keep the battery fully charged, there for replacing the battery.
baddmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmans View Post
It could be the alternator trying to keep a battery fully charged with all the extra equipment draining the battery. If you put a higher cold cranking amp battery in your car, then the alternator will not be able to keep the battery fully charged, there for replacing the battery.
The Camaro alternator is laughing at "all the extra equipment" in the car. He could double that system and his alternator would still not have any problems.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
The stock alternator is rated at 150 amps.

Here's a replacement battery that fits in the stock location: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-94RAGM...s_a_1_1&sr=8-1
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote