Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
LS3_SPEED6

Drives: SS
Exclamation Aux Fuel Pump: SMG/Hobbs Kit

Hey everyone,

Any users on here running the SMG aux pump kit? I know it uses a hobbs switch for activation. How has it been working out? Has it been reliable? Does the hobbs activation effect any tuning? Thinking of going that route. Thanks.
LS3_SPEED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3_SPEED6 View Post
Hey everyone,

Any users on here running the SMG aux pump kit? I know it uses a hobbs switch for activation. How has it been working out? Has it been reliable? Does the hobbs activation effect any tuning? Thinking of going that route. Thanks.
Why not run the DSX?
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Scott S
Scott S

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I am running the SMG Aux kit with flex fuel and E85 no issues. It is a couple hundred cheaper than DSX kit also.
769HP/699 Torque LS3 heads ported and polished with BTR Spring kit & Trunion upgrade, LSA supercharger ported by DC Porting, 102MM throttle Body, 2.40 pulley upper pulley, Innovators West 10% Overdrive lower, BTR Stage 3 PDS Blower Cam, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, SMG Flex Fuel kit, SMG Aux Fuel System, FIC 1000 Injectors, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, RPM Stage Vll Transmission, McLeod RXT clutch, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, 3" X-pipe with Borla S-Type mufflers, ZL1 3:23 rear diff and Axles, 1LE suspension. Bmr Bushings in back. TUNING AND SPECIAL ALIGNMENT BY CARL@Twincitiesperformance
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
LS3_SPEED6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
I am running the SMG Aux kit with flex fuel and E85 no issues. It is a couple hundred cheaper than DSX kit also.
Ok cool good to know!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
graf101
Trouble_SM

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1
I would steer clear of any SMG branded part. I happen to know the owner and guy who works for him. There is a reason why they both do not run their own SMG aux pump kit.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I would recommend DSX, His pump control system is far superior to Hobbs switch.

With a hobbs switch you will get a sudden hard surge in fuel pressure, which causes all kinds of tuning nightmares of which no one talks about or do not care that it happens.

When the fuel pressure swings wildly you get rich and lean surges that follow.

At the end of the day it is not the pump itself, it is the quality of the fittings hose and control system that sets them apart.

Never skimp on fuel system, most engine failures can be linked to lack of fuel supply.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

With a hobbs switch you will get a sudden hard surge in fuel pressure, which causes all kinds of tuning nightmares of which no one talks about or do not care that it happens.

At the end of the day it is not the pump itself, it is the quality of the fittings hose and control system that sets them apart.

Never skimp on fuel system, most engine failures can be linked to lack of fuel supply.

Ted.

Wow, I didn't even notice that till you mentioned it. Sudden on/off with no fuel pressure regulator. Seems like typical trash sold today with no thought or standards behind it. But it's cheap so they'll sell tons.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:

Ted.
How does the DSX kit turn on the aux pump ? Does it not have a sudden surge of fuel like a Hobbs switch ? Is it activated progressively?
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
How does the DSX kit turn on the aux pump ? Does it not have a sudden surge of fuel like a Hobbs switch ? Is it activated progressively?
I do not have all the specific you might contact DSX for the details.

I do know they use a Map signal, and I believe a soft start system.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:

Ted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Wow, I didn't even notice that till you mentioned it. Sudden on/off with no fuel pressure regulator. Seems like typical trash sold today with no thought or standards behind it. But it's cheap so they'll sell tons.
So, as long as their is a pressure regulator in the system the rich/lean spikes wouldn't be that much of a concern?

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
So, as long as their is a pressure regulator in the system the rich/lean spikes wouldn't be that much of a concern?
If you have a return system the regulator would keep it from a large pressure spike. The dsx aux pump system is advertised as being run with the stock non return style system. It's commanded on by boost pressure and unsure if it's also linked to the fpcm, or the fpcm just lowers the demand for the in tank pump.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #12
LS3_SPEED6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
If you have a return system the regulator would keep it from a large pressure spike. The dsx aux pump system is advertised as being run with the stock non return style system. It's commanded on by boost pressure and unsure if it's also linked to the fpcm, or the fpcm just lowers the demand for the in tank pump.
The differences between the dsx and smg is just the way it is activated. DSX uses an electronic controller and turns on by using a MAP sensor at a certain psi (or kpa). It also has a prime function and override. SMG is by a hobbs switch hooked via vacuum line getting boost reference off the intake manifold. Can also very easily wire in an override.

I ended up talking to a handful of very competent tuners on this. Tuners that deal with this all the time, and have this platform down to the wire. Since the car has an FPCM, making changes along with other things will not cause any of these issues. You just have to know what you are doing.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
The differences between the dsx and smg is just the way it is activated. DSX uses an electronic controller and turns on by using a MAP sensor at a certain psi (or kpa). It also has a prime function and override. SMG is by a hobbs switch hooked via vacuum line getting boost reference off the intake manifold. Can also very easily wire in an override.

I ended up talking to a handful of very competent tuners on this. Tuners that deal with this all the time, and have this platform down to the wire. Since the car has an FPCM, making changes along with other things will not cause any of these issues. You just have to know what you are doing.
If that is the case wouldn't it cause a pressure surge in either case?
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
True, we have incorporated return regulators successfully.

If tuning with HPtuners we can get in to the FPCM and make adjustments to improve the pressure spikes.