Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I am going to run a few full day sessions before using mine. Just to know how effective they are (obviously not scientific but I am WAAAAAY too lazy to put them on at the track).
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Any reason you wouldn't leave them on for the duration of your track day season?

Norm
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Mostly because you have to remove the large backing plate behind the rotors to put on the track one. This keeps most all of the pieces exposed to the elements. The forks under the car from the vents ~can~ catch on debris.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #18
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Any reason you wouldn't leave them on for the duration of your track day season?

Norm
The bigger ducts stick down a lot more than the normal ones. They scoop more air but are not OK for daily driving unless you drive on super-flat roads.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
The bigger ducts stick down a lot more than the normal ones. They scoop more air but are not OK for daily driving unless you drive on super-flat roads.
Makes sense. Makes me wonder what they'll tolerate in terms of an "off", though.

Any pictures as-installed?

Norm
Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Thanks!
Did you use the screws that were holding the control arm cover and the large splash guard to bolt the deflector and small splash guard?

Did you remove the caliper bolts with a torque gun or a plain wrench?
Yeah, I did reuse them. Be careful with them because the are screws though, not bolts so the thread is tough. I did use a gun to remove the caliper bolts but I put them back in and torqued by hand. They are a BITCH to tighten.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #21
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I am going to run a few full day sessions before using mine. Just to know how effective they are (obviously not scientific but I am WAAAAAY too lazy to put them on at the track).
I wouldn't! Literally the thread directly under this one is about a guy who suffered brake issues after he overheated the brakes in a very short period of time. He's not the first to describe the issue either. Evanescent complained about poor brake performance his first outing as well. Do exactly as the owners manual describes unless you want to have braking issues!

Trust me I think its silly to have to install all this stuff then remove it too, but until I find a better solution, I will do exactly as the manual states. I plan to try an design a setup with dedicated brake ducts with flex hose instead of just deflectors. I will also find a way to block off the duct to avoid debris collection when I'm daily driving the car.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #22
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I wonder why Chevy did not just put them in? What's the harm? It interesting that Chevy included them in the base SS.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I wouldn't! Literally the thread directly under this one is about a guy who suffered brake issues after he overheated the brakes in a very short period of time. He's not the first to describe the issue either. Evanescent complained about poor brake performance his first outing as well. Do exactly as the owners manual describes unless you want to have braking issues!

Trust me I think its silly to have to install all this stuff then remove it too, but until I find a better solution, I will do exactly as the manual states. I plan to try an design a setup with dedicated brake ducts with flex hose instead of just deflectors. I will also find a way to block off the duct to avoid debris collection when I'm daily driving the car.
I think you answered my question, Doh! on me. Yes, the deflectors are the key. DIY the project for us here if you get around to this. Might there be a way to modify the stock deflectors?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #24
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
The cooling ducts are very helpful if you do plan on braking aggressively and getting decent heat into your rotors. Without them they won't cool properly for the next corner and then you risk fluid boiling. I would also bleed the fluid and put some proper track fluid in there. I used our AP RACING R3 fluid in my SS. Brakes perform much better than they came from the factory with the better fluid and cooling support.

-Joe@STILLEN
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Ugh what a pain in the ass...I live far away from any of the good tracks so I would be spending the night in a hotel before and after. I hate having to service the car in a parking lot, not that I can't it is just not my idea of a fun time.

I really like to just drive the 4 hours to Seattle-area, check in to the hotel, go see family, go back tot he hotel to sleep then get up the next day and drive to the track ready to go. Seattle-area has a large percentage of messed up roads so I can see the bigger ducts getting hit regularly.

I have to write though that I my level of talent, it isn't like I am setting track records and am likely driving the car at 9/10ths. Still going to try my original plan but bring the big ducts and tools with me just in case.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #26
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Pretty easy install for these air deflectors. They work. Just had a track day on a 90+ degree very humid day. Five sessions for 75 minutes total. Zero brake issues. In fact they worked great and I drove it hard.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #27
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Ugh what a pain in the ass...I live far away from any of the good tracks so I would be spending the night in a hotel before and after. I hate having to service the car in a parking lot, not that I can't it is just not my idea of a fun time.

I really like to just drive the 4 hours to Seattle-area, check in to the hotel, go see family, go back tot he hotel to sleep then get up the next day and drive to the track ready to go. Seattle-area has a large percentage of messed up roads so I can see the bigger ducts getting hit regularly.

I have to write though that I my level of talent, it isn't like I am setting track records and am likely driving the car at 9/10ths. Still going to try my original plan but bring the big ducts and tools with me just in case.
Diving your car at 9/10 consistently is pretty damn talented!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #28
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
FWIW I have left mine on for about 1500 miles of street driving and they have not given me any problems. They are directly next to the wheels so anything you would drive over your wheels will hit first. The only issue you would have is straddling something that would contact it.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote