Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
Dodge's answer to the ZL1 and GT500???

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2012-exclusive

Gear up, muscle car fans, as we've once again got an exclusive scoop on what's in store for you. The horsepower wars are most certainly not over. Dodge's newly-formed SRT brand is planning a factory-option supercharger for the LX-platform SRT8 cars that'll boost the new 6.4-liter HEMI as high as 570 horsepower.

Though it's likely reluctant to frame it as a response to the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and the coming upgraded Ford Mustang GT500, the supercharged SRT8 cars are probably exactly that. Our inside source says the twin-screw supercharger kit, which will be available for order as a factory part, will come very late in calendar year 2012 for 2013 model-year cars, and will boost horsepower up to the 540-570 hp range.

That's right on par with the competition, which is also due out around that time frame. The supercharger kit, built by Eaton, will also come with another upgrade: eight-speed transmissions.

Pricing remains unknown at this point, as does any word on what the blown SRT8s will get in the way of unique naming or badges, but the information comes from a dependable source, so if you're in the market for an LX-platform SRT8 (sorry, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 fans, no love for you) you might want to hold onto your cash for another year to get the big dog. Of course, it's likely to be offered as an available dealer-installed upgrade to existing SRT8s, too, so maybe you can go ahead and pull the trigger now.

We'll keep you posted as we learn more.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,890
At least a what... $5K option? Plus, I'm assuming they'll have to upgrade the suspension by then as well. Regardless, sounds very interesting!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,527
factory-installed option w/ full warrranty? full of win...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: '00 WS6/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,434
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Even though I like the Camaro to be on top, I am glad Dodge is doing this?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Even though I like the Camaro to be on top, I am glad Dodge is doing this?
Thats what i like to hear...any competition is good competition...whos winning is the end consumer...its will be a pricey option but a pricey option is better than no option IMO
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: '00 WS6/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,434
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
Thats what i like to hear...any competition is good competition...whos winning is the end consumer...its will be a pricey option but a pricey option is better than no option IMO
My neighbor just got a new 392 challenger, and it is sweet.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
My neighbor just got a new 392 challenger, and it is sweet.
yea sweet ride for sure
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,358
Win for Dodge!
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
While I think that's SUPER COOL, if it's not installed at the factory, it's not quite the same thing. Additionally, there's more to ZL1 than power and you guys with the white hats better hope MOPAR does something about that, too, otherwise it'll be like the older GT500 and won't turn too well. That GT500 continues to improve also so an SC isn't going to level the field...

Still - I think the competition stepping up is a great thing
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2012-exclusive

Gear up, muscle car fans, as we've once again got an exclusive scoop on what's in store for you. The horsepower wars are most certainly not over. Dodge's newly-formed SRT brand is planning a factory-option supercharger for the LX-platform SRT8 cars that'll boost the new 6.4-liter HEMI as high as 570 horsepower.

Though it's likely reluctant to frame it as a response to the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and the coming upgraded Ford Mustang GT500, the supercharged SRT8 cars are probably exactly that. Our inside source says the twin-screw supercharger kit, which will be available for order as a factory part, will come very late in calendar year 2012 for 2013 model-year cars, and will boost horsepower up to the 540-570 hp range.

That's right on par with the competition, which is also due out around that time frame. The supercharger kit, built by Eaton, will also come with another upgrade: eight-speed transmissions.

Pricing remains unknown at this point, as does any word on what the blown SRT8s will get in the way of unique naming or badges, but the information comes from a dependable source, so if you're in the market for an LX-platform SRT8 (sorry, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 fans, no love for you) you might want to hold onto your cash for another year to get the big dog. Of course, it's likely to be offered as an available dealer-installed upgrade to existing SRT8s, too, so maybe you can go ahead and pull the trigger now.

We'll keep you posted as we learn more.
Great, hope the lower the CR and forge the internals. Most fanatics do not want HP limited on the top end by the factory. It's not too late for the Mopars, or the ZL1, to step up in this regard.....
__________________
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 31,848
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Awesome to hear. But is there anything else? Or is Dodge ignoring the rest of the GT500 and ZL1 and only focusing on the power?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - Fbodfather
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
Im sure they might offer it as a complete big $$$ package or hopefully break it down into couple or more options.

I have good reason to believe that the sc will be a maggy...
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,887
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Great, hope the lower the CR and forge the internals. Most fanatics do not want HP limited on the top end by the factory. It's not too late for the Mopars, or the ZL1, to step up in this regard.....
If they're offering it as a kit, and only adding 70-100 hp, I highly doubt they'll be mucking around too much on the inside of the engine.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #14
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If they're offering it as a kit, and only adding 70-100 hp, I highly doubt they'll be mucking around too much on the inside of the engine.
I was just thinking that a 100bhp increase is pretty weak for adding a sc. Now what u just said explains it, just as a dealership bolt on kit w warranty on top of the cast piston 6.4 would yeild low numbers due to boost limitations which would probably be around 4.5-5.5lbs i would imagine.

IMO they should do it the right way and offer it as a option from the factory with a engine designed for it and get that hp # to 600+

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigHemiSrt; 07-27-2011 at 02:16 AM.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 42 12-22-2017 04:42 AM
What?! GT500 not going to get +600 horses to fight ZL1? radz28 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 60 07-25-2011 12:44 PM
Two New Articles for ya on 2012 ZL1 & 2013 Shelby GT500 Blue Maro Demon Chevy Camaro vs... 24 07-21-2011 06:50 AM
Prediction: Reviewers will spec the ZL1 close to the GT500 but not "better" than rez333 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 135 02-20-2011 05:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.