Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Sorry, per my response on the last thread, I don't "buy" it, literally.

If it was such the problem at least ONE manufacturer, at least one, even a rogue one would offer it as standard equipment without any editorial about it.

The oil burns off at a very high rate of temperature, one drop at a time. The residue you are seeing in the pics of a tiny bit in a cup, that is accumulated from a long-time, 3000 miles or more. If you bled that much walking 3,000 miles, you would survive.

I don't care, my car runs fine. If it comes down to the pics shown, which by the way are extreme by any measure, I will fix it then, if I still own it.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #16
tonyko1
Banned

Oh yeah, oil aint that big a deal as described......ask anyone who has had to deal with gasoline leaking or a warped head and blowing white smoke due to water getting in. Now that I agree, won't burn up with your bic lighter on the table.

I aint saying the catch can is hurting anything other than your wallet, but it doesn't really justify the $$$. It is like the magnets my grandmother wears after buying some off an informercial, it doesn't hurt, but well, you get the point.

Why don't we move on to how people hear tell of the 10-40+ horsepower gain and 2-10 mpg improvement on an air filter change....

I am now going to eat a grapefruit and watch the fat melt away...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post

If it was such the problem at least ONE manufacturer, at least one, even a rogue one would offer it as standard equipment without any editorial about it.

The oil burns off at a very high rate of temperature, one drop at a time. The residue you are seeing in the pics of a tiny bit in a cup, that is accumulated from a long-time, 3000 miles or more. If you bled that much walking 3,000 miles, you would survive.

I don't care, my car runs fine. If it comes down to the pics shown, which by the way are extreme by any measure, I will fix it then, if I still own it.
Quote:
Oh yeah, oil aint that big a deal as described......ask anyone who has had to deal with gasoline leaking or a warped head and blowing white smoke due to water getting in. Now that I agree, won't burn up with your bic lighter on the table.

I aint saying the catch can is hurting anything other than your wallet, but it doesn't really justify the $$$. It is like the magnets my grandmother wears after buying some off an informercial, it doesn't hurt, but well, you get the point.

Why don't we move on to how people hear tell of the 10-40+ horsepower gain and 2-10 mpg improvement on an air filter change....

I am now going to eat a grapefruit and watch the fat melt away...
If I had the v8 I probably wouldn't get one either, the fuel charge passes ofver the valves and helps to keep them clean. However, those of us who have the V6 with direct injection, don't get the cleaning effect of the fuel passing over the valves. The oil will start to build up deposits on them and if you plan to keep your Camaro long term like I do, then I certainly don't need the oil build up.

As for the manufactures offering this as a standard item, why would they, no reason too. Keep the cost down. I believe it says in the owner’s manual that you should have an upper end cleaning done every so often which will take care of the problem. This to me is the pass the cost along to the customer deal. Also, many manufactures feel the cars today are turned over so often that many wouldn't see an issue if there even was one.

So bottom line, agree to disagree, some are going to believe and feel they want it or need, while others know that this won't help in their situation. Each has to decide the cost to benefit for themselves.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
Quote:

This isent the 60's where they built things to last.. Manufacturer's build them just long enough to brake after the warranty falls off..

So you dont want a can, so dont get one.. the OP is happy he caught all the oil so why come in here with that negativity
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Chevy doesn't include these also because yuo have to empty them at your oil change time. People are into maintainence free cars now days.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Matt @ RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
If I had the v8 I probably wouldn't get one either, the fuel charge passes ofver the valves and helps to keep them clean. However, those of us who have the V6 with direct injection, don't get the cleaning effect of the fuel passing over the valves. The oil will start to build up deposits on them and if you plan to keep your Camaro long term like I do, then I certainly don't need the oil build up.

As for the manufactures offering this as a standard item, why would they, no reason too. Keep the cost down. I believe it says in the owner’s manual that you should have an upper end cleaning done every so often which will take care of the problem. This to me is the pass the cost along to the customer deal. Also, many manufactures feel the cars today are turned over so often that many wouldn't see an issue if there even was one.

So bottom line, agree to disagree, some are going to believe and feel they want it or need, while others know that this won't help in their situation. Each has to decide the cost to benefit for themselves.
As RT has said here, the dealers are designed to sell you upper end cleanings 10k-15k miles, etc. This is definitely a pass-the-buck to the customers as previously stated.

As per the V8's though, they are still prone to the same issues as the V6's with added carbon build-up and detonation-prone. During my tuning process, I have had to complete countless Sea Foam treatments on client's V8 vehicles because of these oil issues causing detonation.

We have numerous clients that have added the catch can to the V8's.

Here is a V8 LS2 Corvette with 800 miles.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I guess every little bit helps. I have one on my car and it does collect a small amount of oil...no sense taking chances if there's a relatively cheap and easy to install mod that will help. Plus, who doesn't like to "tinker" with their toy!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The port injection cars running top tier fuel the valves will stay clean, but any tuner that has had to deal with the detonation caused by the oil ingestion can attest to the power and fuel economy loss.

There are manufacturers that have them from the factory.

We have a Maserati in the shop right now and they are standard....and several other high end supercars do as well as the negative effects are well known. No oil ingestion is good even a drop at a time.

Can you drive the life of your car and not be aware of the issues? absolutely. 99% of all car and light truck owners havent a clue, but the dealers service dept sure does. Every 12-15k miles they reccomend a throttle body cleaning and a upper induction service for $150-$450....and that is a bandaid at best.

Also look at the fuel savings. We sell these to fleets of light trucks and vans and the average fuel economy improvement is 1-3 MPG with nothing else done......no tune, nothing.

When you prevent the oil from entering you have no buildup to deal with and the PCM is not pulling timing due to detonation caused by the oil ingestion.

Then, look at the oil consumption issues all modern cars have today from the gunk build up in the ring lands causing the rings to stick and not seal properly:

See the vertical score marks on the piston skirts from carbon deposits sucked in between the piston and cylinder wall? Carbon is a very hard abrasive compound and everytime a piece breaks loose it can cause damage.

It is very easy to not be aware of what happens inside your motor when you dont see it. Out of sight, out of mind. But I have been building motors for over 38 years and do this daily....and this si what I see. I suspect many minds would be changed if they could see this from the engine builders perspective, but yes. The degradation in power and MPG is gradual so most wont notice what is happening, and oil consumption is usually ignored between oil changes so unless the motor fails due to low oil most have no idea (the last 2 generations dont check oil or fluids or tire pressure regularly like was automatic with our and our fathers/grandfathers generation).

Also, and service tech working for any new car dealership domestic or import know to well that these issues are the #1 warranty related complaint and each deals with it differently.

BMW uses a walnut shell blasting media to clean the valves with the heads on the motor, Lexus removes them and does manual valve cleaning. GM/Ford/Chrysler pretend it isnt an issue until the customer complains enough and by that time they are putting in new rings and valve guides.

So, it is not that it isnt an issue, it is a personal choice if a car owner wants the best, or maybe just better fuel economy, for their baby...or are happy ignoring the issues as they are gradual and usually not noticed. Many trade every 2-3 years anyway so caring for their car the best possible is not a priority.

Either way, the issues are well known in the automotive enginering world and the service centers of dealers.....just not with the general public and the less informed the consumer is, the happier the manufacturers.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
InfidelSpartan
Army Military Police

Drives: 2022 Ram 1500
Im still wondering where my rx catch can is that I ordered on the 30th. I ordered zaino wax on the 3rd and it got here on the 7th.... still waiting on my catch can............

2013 2LT/RS BRM
Decepticon "Darksteel" - 9/28/12 - 6/29/22
InfidelSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
The cans are typically painted to order... Great things come to those who wait. The Wax has probably been on the shelf for months waiting for you.

Sent from my insanely great iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
Matt @ RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfidelSpartan View Post
Im still wondering where my rx catch can is that I ordered on the 30th. I ordered zaino wax on the 3rd and it got here on the 7th.... still waiting on my catch can............
Best way to check on your orders is that you can call (941-721-1826), PM me, or email (rxproducts@aol.com / revxtremeproducts@gmail.com)... I know that you would not want to post your full information via a thread so use one of these methods to get us and we will be glad to explain your ETA.

As Jessika said also the cans are painted by order currently because we could not keep up on the supply and demand honestly. We have a huge batch of cans right now going to paint with extras of all the hot selling colors. We always have polished in stock.

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
You also have to take in consideration that I take pics of my catch can results after each oil change . So that being said that was my 3rd oil change (12,000 miles on the car) and If I didn't have the can installed there would be 3 times that amount of oil possibly in the intake .
I drive the car harder than most and I've seen other V6 owners not have as much in there catch cans either.

This wasn't a post to help sell Any Vendors Product but to just show what A catch can could and does catch . But I will say RX Catch Cans work great for me Just my.02...
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #27
tonyko1
Banned

Interestingly, the ones who opt for it the most are the ones who sell it and make a $ off it.

Sorry, ain't buying it, literally.

Following your logic, all car mfg's would add the catch oil can, first, it would add to the MSRP as a new car, then an added cost at each oil change, even cause some to bring it in for an oil change where before they didn't.

Finally, given the EPA's intrusion into all things gasoline engines and other fun things, the fact they haven't advocated this is yet more evidence it is really not needed. As the EPA would not be in favor of burning up more oil into the atmosphere and advocates better mileage, which if as you claim is true about the virtues of the catch can, the engine will run better, i.e., more efficiently with better mileage and less pollution.

This reminds me of the mid-80's with "Slick 50" oil additive and even tranny modifier. Yeah, how did that work out for you other than a lightening of your wallet?