Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Headers hitting after CAM install

Looking for some advice here. Since the the CAM upgrade car is shaking a lot and so is the motor. Not complaining I think it's awesome!!! Wife not so much . The only problem is now I am getting some drone and rattle from the headers, gets worse on a turn. I'm thinking it's the motor shaking causing that. I'm still finalizing the tune so I am thinking some of the shaking will calm down after that. The question is I think I can get my hand son a set of BMR mounts at a good price. Do you think this might resolve the issue, What are the pros and cons? Thinking I might just do it anyway...

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I can't remember did you change your torque converter and what size is your your headers? I think your shaking is normal because you know I have the SS1 and it shakes all over the place. It also jurks in gear a lot. And I know what you mean about the wife. All mine says this damn car it's stupid now. lol
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
Rmkuper

It's actually SS2 VVT. Torque converter will come this winter with gears and mabe flywheel on the fence. Headers 1 7/8 3in pipes. I had to fight with them and ding a little to fit right. But I got under and looked around yesterday nothing apparent is rubbing. Was thinking of putting it on my buddies lift and letting it run to see if it's moving when it's running.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
My 1 7/8 TSPs never hit the subframe but the 2" do. The 2" headers hit the passenger side subframe. I am finally about to take them off and dimple it, and I just got some 3 bolt flanges that I am going to weld onto the headers and a pair of custom 2' long dumps so I can ditch the exhaust altogether.

For the BMR motor mounts, I understand that the solid aluminum upgrade will result in the motor and thus the headers being 1/4 inch lower than normal, unless you add a washer to keep it at normal height. To my knowledge, thats just for the solid mount, not the poly.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
morepowerjoe

Yeah that would be a good idea to look at it on the lift. I know after a while I developed a little exhaust rattle after my cam install I think it's touching some place because I have a 3" exhaust system as well and we had to dimple it in a couple places under the tranny crossmember. It was touching on the crossmember bolts. But I know you said it was coming from your headers. You could have your exhaust in a bind somewhere too and it could be twisted a little in the wrong direction. You might want to unbolt it and repetition it a little by twisting the pipes in one direction or another as long as yours isn't fully welded (I hope not)
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 05-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Funny you say that, I had to grab the collector and muscle the hell out of it and pull it so it was off the subframe about 1/8 an inch but when its running and shaking and camming and under acceleration I still get rattling.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post
Looking for some advice here. Since the the CAM upgrade car is shaking a lot and so is the motor. Not complaining I think it's awesome!!! Wife not so much . The only problem is now I am getting some drone and rattle from the headers, gets worse on a turn. I'm thinking it's the motor shaking causing that. I'm still finalizing the tune so I am thinking some of the shaking will calm down after that. The question is I think I can get my hand son a set of BMR mounts at a good price. Do you think this might resolve the issue, What are the pros and cons? Thinking I might just do it anyway...

As soon as i starter reading my first thought is shitty mounts. I have the bmr mounts. Great setup. Roll with them and i think your issue will be cured
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
morepowerjoe

Like I was saying my car shakes everywhere but not the engine. I originally thought the engine was shaking but I found out that by mistake that it was the suspension. The way I found out it was the suspension was by jacking up the front end by the frame and then started the car. To my amazement the shaking stopped that told me it was the suspension. I'm only telling you this in case you want to see if it's your engine mounts or maybe your suspension like mine was.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:00 AM   #9
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post

The BMR poly mounts will cut down on the engine shaking, but the car will vibrate, especially at idle and low speeds. My poly mounts did come with washer for the option to install at OEM height

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
New Cammed Camaro owner here. My headers didnt rub before or after the install. Take it back to the shop and tell them your concerns.They should help you.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-SRT View Post
The BMR poly mounts will cut down on the engine shaking, but the car will vibrate, especially at idle and low speeds. My poly mounts did come with washer for the option to install at OEM height
I installed a new set of BMR motor mounts in November. They did not come with spacers. My 2inch tsp headers hit the subframe. i called BMR and they said their MM's no longer come with spacers, so I had to make my own.

It would be unfair to say the BMR mounts lowered my engine, since they were installed on an aftermarket block with aftermarket heads, but just know, they do not come with the spacers anymore.
Attached Images

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I have the Prothane mounts, and the engine sat a bit over a quarter inch lower after the install. Aftermarket mounts will increase NVH a fair amount, so keep that in mind.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
New Cammed Camaro owner here. My headers didnt rub before or after the install. Take it back to the shop and tell them your concerns.They should help you.
I am the shop that why I'm reaching out here for suggestions.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I installed a new set of BMR motor mounts in November. They did not come with spacers. My 2inch tsp headers hit the subframe. i called BMR and they said their MM's no longer come with spacers, so I had to make my own.

It would be unfair to say the BMR mounts lowered my engine, since they were installed on an aftermarket block with aftermarket heads, but just know, they do not come with the spacers anymore.
That is what I have heard also. I have a buddy with a machine shop he might be able to fashion up a set of those for me. How long have you had them on and any issues?