Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #141
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
I listened to the advice of '10CamaroDude and will try to avoid breaking the door.
I have a model 2010 (2009), it could work there.

George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #142
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
If only we could get some CNC aluminum pieces made. Hell, even 3D printed using a tougher type of plastic. Of course a solution would be needed for the rubber/nitrile seal that is impregnated into the blend door, but I think that could be overcome.

There just has to be someone out there with the skill, tools, time, and $$$ to make an aftermarket replacement for this. Hell, even some sort of retrofit bracing would be helpful. I know I am likely talking out my ass here...

But I am seriously considering buying up a dozen of these doors to prepare for when GM inevitably discontinues them. Save 3 or 4 for me and any future 5th gens I will own and then sell the remaining to members here, at cost of course. I look at it like this...as long as there are 5th gens on the road this will always be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty CC View Post
I don't have a scanner to set the actuators limits but understand there is a default setting when battery power is removed.
I do. I used my Tech2 clone and GM GDS2 to recalibrate the door when I replaced mine. I honestly don't think it has hard limits, as in I think the actuator itself could spin 360º if it was programmed to and the door wasn't installed. When I did the calibration it ran a test where it searches for physical resistance. In other words to find its position it cycles though what would be a 'close door' command and when it meets resistance (and the door stops) it sets that as its 'closed' position number. It does the same for the full open position, and then of course the BCM can determine the exact position where the door is located based on those two parameters. I hope I am explaining that clearly, as sometimes I have an issue putting this stuff into words.

Next time I get the laptop out and get GDS2 running on it, I will go through a calibration sequence and post it to YouTube with a link here so we can see exactly what is going on. If I remember correctly, GDS2 allows you to manually control each single 'step' of movement of the actuator/door, simulating changing temperature with the Climate Control knob. GDS2 is awesome like that and allows granular control of pretty much every module in the car for testing purposes. My son was amazed I could hit a key on the laptop and squirt washer fluid on command lol.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 01-24-2021 at 04:38 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #143
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
If only we could get some CNC aluminum pieces made. Hell, even 3D printed using a tougher type of plastic. Of course a solution would be needed for the rubber/nitrile seal that is impregnated into the blend door, but I think that could be overcome.

There just has to be someone out there with the skill, tools, time, and $$$ to make an aftermarket replacement for this. Hell, even some sort of retrofit bracing would be helpful. I know I am likely talking out my ass here...

But I am seriously considering buying up a dozen of these doors to prepare for when GM inevitably discontinues them. Save 3 or 4 for me and any future 5th gens I will own and then sell the remaining to members here, at cost of course. I look at it like this...as long as there are 5th gens on the road this will always be a problem.

I do. I used my Tech2 clone and GM GDS2 to recalibrate the door when I replaced mine. I honestly don't think it has hard limits, as in I think the actuator itself could spin 360º if it was programmed to and the door wasn't installed. When I did the calibration it ran a test where it searches for physical resistance. In other words to find its position it cycles though what would be a 'close door' command and when it meets resistance (and the door stops) it sets that as its 'closed' position number. It does the same for the full open position, and then of course the BCM can determine the exact position where the door is located based on those two parameters. I hope I am explaining that clearly, as sometimes I have an issue putting this stuff into words.

Next time I get the laptop out and get GDS2 running on it, I will go through a calibration sequence and post it to YouTube with a link here so we can see exactly what is going on. If I remember correctly, GDS2 allows you to manually control each single 'step' of movement of the actuator/door, simulating changing temperature with the Climate Control knob. GDS2 is awesome like that and allows granular control of pretty much every module in the car for testing purposes. My son was amazed I could hit a key on the laptop and squirt washer fluid on command lol.
If I has the entire heating core outside and the broken door in my hand, we're pretty sure I don't want any of the dozen you're talking about.
I would take the broken door as a template, go to my friend's metal shop, give it to him and stainless steel, please. And he make new door.

And the problem has been solved forever.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #144
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
It's that time of the year. Going to crawl under the dash and disconnect my actuator in the "nearly" full cold position. Also bumping this thread for another member.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #145
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Yep,put near full cold, then pull the plug.

If you loosen the bolts, take them out but leave one in, move the dial till you see the
motor starts to twist, back off till straight, put the bolts back in, then pull the plug.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #146
Rob3D

Drives: Car
I’ve read this thread three times, it’s fantastic information! But before I start tearing shit up...I’m still trying to properly diagnose my issue. I’ve been trying get to the bottom of this for a couple of years now. I’ll explain it in detail.

The A/C runs fine, very cold. At an undetermined point in time the airflow greatly reduces and the air is slightly cool. I turn off the HVAC and run the 2/60 A/C for about five minutes and turn it back on and the A/C runs fine.

It’s been serviced, plenty of coolant, compressor is fine and no abnormal frost on the lines.

Is this or is this not a blend door issue? TIA.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #147
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Any progress on the Utube video suggested by Infid3vil?

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #148
chevyz1
Wife named it "Ghost"

Drives: 2012 Camaro Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Rob3D, Is this possibly the AC clutch kicking out? I have a similar issue on my GMC truck where the clearance of the clutch has gotten a little on the high side and can possibly be solved with the shim kit or taking out a shim so it stays engaged. If it happens in mine while driving, I can put in neutral and gas it a couple times to kinda jar the clutch or hit a bump in the road right, it will engage again. If the clutch isn't staying engaged while you are sitting still and can reach down carefully and give the clutch a little tap with something it should engage if it isn't a pressure switch issue. You can pick up one of those shim kits at any auto parts stores if you need.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #149
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyz1 View Post
Rob3D, Is this possibly the AC clutch kicking out? I have a similar issue on my GMC truck where the clearance of the clutch has gotten a little on the high side and can possibly be solved with the shim kit or taking out a shim so it stays engaged. If it happens in mine while driving, I can put in neutral and gas it a couple times to kinda jar the clutch or hit a bump in the road right, it will engage again. If the clutch isn't staying engaged while you are sitting still and can reach down carefully and give the clutch a little tap with something it should engage if it isn't a pressure switch issue. You can pick up one of those shim kits at any auto parts stores if you need.

I’ll start that diagnosis right away. It just takes weeks to repeat the symptoms to check to see what’s up.. lol
Old 05-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #150
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
I’ve read this thread three times, it’s fantastic information! But before I start tearing shit up...I’m still trying to properly diagnose my issue. I’ve been trying get to the bottom of this for a couple of years now. I’ll explain it in detail.

The A/C runs fine, very cold. At an undetermined point in time the airflow greatly reduces and the air is slightly cool. I turn off the HVAC and run the 2/60 A/C for about five minutes and turn it back on and the A/C runs fine.

It’s been serviced, plenty of coolant, compressor is fine and no abnormal frost on the lines.

Is this or is this not a blend door issue? TIA.
It sounds like your condenser may be freezing over. Might be a problem with your expansion valve. I don't think the blend door problems causes the reducing air flow.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #151
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
It sounds like your condenser may be freezing over. Might be a problem with your expansion valve. I don't think the blend door problems causes the reducing air flow.

I thought that also, I had it checked and it was fine, not to say that ain’t the problem. I’ve had this issue going on four years and can not find the solution...it’s crazy.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #152
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
If I has the entire heating core outside and the broken door in my hand, we're pretty sure I don't want any of the dozen you're talking about.
I would take the broken door as a template, go to my friend's metal shop, give it to him and stainless steel, please. And he make new door.

And the problem has been solved forever.
Why not make a carbon fiber door? Pretty sure it wouldn’t be that difficult.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #153
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How is your dash now that's it's all put together?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I wonder too. Has anyone complained of multiple rattles?
They did a great job and I didn't notice any new rattles. I was impressed, rattling in a car bothers the hell out of me
Old 06-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #154
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Why not make a carbon fiber door? Pretty sure it wouldn’t be that difficult.
It probably wouldn't be hard.
But it's easier for me to reach for a piece of thicker sheet metal into scrap metal and let the CNC machine do its job.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.