Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #15
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
sounds like the body shop did the right thing...probably better than factory paint now.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #16
PeterH

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
sounds like the body shop did the right thing...probably better than factory paint now.
It is but the wear and tear on me and my family was completely avoidable. The stress of it all... the ups and downs. To be told at the start I would be taken care of...
To only find out it was just smoke and mirrors. If I was any normal person that had no clue about cars, I would have had to pay out of pocket.

Yes the body shop priced every possible thing you could to elevate the price to a point GM would decline it and buy the car back... but they didn't. The body shop and the Service Manager could not understand why they went through with it .

It would have been cheaper for GM to buy the car back, give me a new car and do minimal repairs on the original car and sell it as a used car.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:28 PM   #17
PeterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNJ View Post
Once GM admitted that the car was repainted, I think I would have gotten a lawyer if necessary and demanded a new car. Shame you had to go thru this.
I do have a layer. But only for the diminished value which is whopping $2200.... yup $2200. And GM is fighting it. Saying they repainted the car under customer satisfaction . Like they did me a favor. Really? A favor? I struggled to get them to do anything. Now I should be grateful. What a joke.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #18
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
If you have a sense of humor, you might chuckle at my comment

https://youtu.be/OUx_32ABtw4
"The rent is TOO DAMN HIGH"

The two guys who got paid to do this feel it's a fair price.

Besides the humor, my main reason to post is I don't think either the dealer or the customer is best served by having a 3 time painted car. The cost is too high for this level of $ repairs vs giving the customer an equal or higher value car and doing simple sand and repaint repairs to the damaged areas like when in a collision and resell it as used with repair history and valued accordingly.
It will also be unlikely there will be zero defects after this complete repaint to a picky customer. A gasket that doesn't say put and seal out windnoise and water, or trim that is bent or not perfect, or clips that broke and weren't replaced so some plastic part rattles or overspray on parts. These "minor" things can be acceptable to someone who buys a used car if it was resold to them, but not to the OP as other people mentioned, he is expecting a new (flawless) car.
This isn't a collectable car being talked about, not a 500mi Z28 or something that can't be easily swapped out to lessen the expense to the dealer and make the customer happy not having ANY previous repair work to his new vehicle.

Edit: While I was typing this and heating up some wings, the OP explained the astronomical price and already said what I was thinking. I might also add it validates my prediction he would still be dissatisfied. I don't blame him for wanting diminished value, it's part of what I said above however after paying $20k now wants another $2k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
...elevate the price to a point GM would decline it and buy the car back... but they didn't. The body shop and the Service Manager could not understand why they went through with it .

It would have been cheaper for GM to buy the car back, give me a new car and do minimal repairs on the original car and sell it as a used car.
I might guess why they did that. It's either statistics or where they money comes from. E.g. they didn't want to increase a lemon car buyback number so they could say Chevy has lower buybacks than a Lexus or something. Or they had extra money in a customer satisfaction account but if they bought it back it would come from a dealer's fund account or some other part of the budget they didn't want to impact. I'm only half joking to say it might have been able to be twisted into a COVID relief fund account so it was "free" to GM.

Last edited by silversleeper; 06-19-2021 at 10:33 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #19
PeterH

I liked the video...
Lol
Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
This sounds to me like they had issues with the robots or the auctual paint itself. There are likely a few more cars that were on the line at the same time as yours and were pulled off and sent to paint repair.They likely had to sand down the original layer and paint it again by hand or send them back through the paint both for the robots to do it.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #21
PeterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
This sounds to me like they had issues with the robots or the auctual paint itself. There are likely a few more cars that were on the line at the same time as yours and were pulled off and sent to paint repair.They likely had to sand down the original layer and paint it again by hand or send them back through the paint both for the robots to do it.
It was definitely done by hand. The paint thickness revealed inconsistencies. Thicker here thinner there.

The center of the roof was 8 mils while the sides of the roof was 12 mils...must have been a short painter...lol
Old 06-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
It was definitely done by hand. The paint thickness revealed inconsistencies. Thicker here thinner there.

The center of the roof was 8 mils while the sides of the roof was 12 mils...must have been a short painter...lol
Ya most likely thats why the clear coat is coming off as well. The robots are dead nuts everytime unless they have issues.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #23
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
The factory gambled sending that car out, hoping nobody would notice, or go as far as you did with it. I don't think they should have sent it out like that, maybe print "factory paint defect" right on the window sticker, and carfax, and sell it for a reduced price.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #24
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
As a life long Chevy guy i have no reason to continue buying anything GM.
Crap builds, bad engineering, warranty issues are frustrating as hell.
My elderly father takes in his Toyota and they can't do enough for him, same with my wife's Kia.
Difference is night and day.
Easy math.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #25
PeterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNJ View Post
The factory gambled sending that car out, hoping nobody would notice, or go as far as you did with it. I don't think they should have sent it out like that, maybe print "factory paint defect" right on the window sticker, and carfax, and sell it for a reduced price.
Exactly what I say. The manufacturer should be held accountable. There are Statutes in CT saying a car can not be sold as new if damaged, altered, repossessed or driven beyond a certain mileage. That number I think is 4000 miles.

And our Consumer Protection here in CT is worthless. Only dealing with Lemon Law.

Again no accountability!
Old 06-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
PeterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
As a life long Chevy guy i have no reason to continue buying anything GM.
Crap builds, bad engineering, warranty issues are frustrating as hell.
My elderly father takes in his Toyota and they can't do enough for him, same with my wife's Kia.
Difference is night and day.
Easy math.
I agree.

Here are the issues I have had...

02 Tahoe 65k. Piston slap started
By 129k I had to replace the engine.

11 Camaro 2SS 52k. Again piston slap in cylinder 1,3,7
So bad it wore off the coating on the skirts of the pistons.
$4k to rebuild it because GM did not want to help me.

Then this 19 Camaro....

I'm done.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #27
PeterH

Here are the pics of the '19 when I sanded those two spots.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
my uncle got gm to do a buyback over the blotchy look of the white pearl on his Cadillac. every pearl white gm i see has a blotchy look in the wrong light
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote