Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Erasing Stored Keys

Good evening,

I ordered and received a second key to my 2014 Camaro because it only came with one. I did the quick-change program and it worked but said that it was the 5th Key registered with the car.

Does anyone know how to erase all the stored keys (I figured I can do the 3x10 minute relearn after I erase all of them).

I don't like the concept that there are three keys out there, not under my control, that work with this car.

I googled and searched this forum, found a lot on new programming, nothing on erasing.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
I don't have an answer, however, I think I know where the other four are. The 2014 originally came with two switchblade keys then there came the recall. Chevrolet removed the two blades from switchblade and gave you two new keys, hence 4. Dealership no doubt discarded the two that came from the switchblade.

Last year I purchased 2 OEM blades for my factory switchblade key fobs that was removed by Chevrolet during the recall. Had GM cut them and I installed them into the original factory fobs. Now it shows 6 keys for my 2014. I have in hand 2 fobs with keys and the 2 keys Chevrolet gave me when the recall was done. Chevrolet discarded 2 during the recall.

If your 2014 had the key recall there are 2 of the missing keys.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
DasBaldDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
I don't have an answer, however, I think I know where the other four are. The 2014 originally came with two switchblade keys then there came the recall. Chevrolet removed the two blades from switchblade and gave you two new keys, hence 4. Dealership no doubt discarded the two that came from the switchblade.

Last year I purchased 2 OEM blades for my factory switchblade key fobs that was removed by Chevrolet during the recall. Had GM cut them and I installed them into the original factory fobs. Now it shows 6 keys for my 2014. I have in hand 2 fobs with keys and the 2 keys Chevrolet gave me when the recall was done. Chevrolet discarded 2 during the recall.

If your 2014 had the key recall there are 2 of the missing keys.

On the Recall Key, does both the Fob AND Key have a transmitter in them? So the car would count a key/fob combo as being 2 keys? It would have to, right? Otherwise the Fob wouldn't work?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
On the Recall Key, does both the Fob AND Key have a transmitter in them? So the car would count a key/fob combo as being 2 keys? It would have to, right? Otherwise the Fob wouldn't work?
Gosh, you brought up a good point? I know when the recall occurred had to have the two switchblades removed and they gave me two new keys that had to be with each FOB in order to work. I am not sure now how the keys are counted?

Larry
Old 01-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
DasBaldDog

Bringing this to the top.

I've checked with several local dealers, they are giving me prices from $200-$350 to erase all stored keys and reprogram the new ones..... EXCEPT the two keys I have are both switch-blades and all of them say they are not allowed to reprogram switchblades, so I will need to buy a New key from them (as the recall has ended supposedly).... so $250-$400 plus tax.

Seems dumb for 10 minutes of work.

Please tell me there is some sort of other option... I have Googled to the limit of my ability and can find nothing.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Gosh, you brought up a good point? I know when the recall occurred had to have the two switchblades removed and they gave me two new keys that had to be with each FOB in order to work. I am not sure now how the keys are counted?

Larry
yes, the fobs and new keys both have immobilizer chips. I will agree that their prices are ridiculous, but the only way that I am aware of to invalidate all keys are through programming.

Last edited by fhrex; 02-01-2019 at 04:47 AM.
fhrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
yes, the fobs and new keys both have immobilizer chips. I will agree that their prices are ridiculous, but the only way that I am aware of to invalidate all keys are through programming.
Just to clarify ...there is no chip/transponder in the metal portion of either a switchblade key, a recall key, or a blank key you buy on ebay
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Just to clarify ...there is no chip/transponder in the metal portion of either a switchblade key, a recall key, or a blank key you buy on ebay
no, the transponder is in the plastic head of the "recall" key. nothing in the metal blade itself of either type. if there's no transponder in the ebay key at all, you will have to have your programmed fob with you in order to start your car
Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I got a friend at the dealership. I drive around back and he does this stuff for $20 cash.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:

Larry
The keys are not married to the FOBs. Each recall key can be used with or without a FOB.
As you ventured, each FOB and each key has a chip.
I had one switchblade neutered and received two separate keys. The dealer said that was enough to satisfy the recall. Since I already had a third switchblade I still have two. I have one FOB and two separate keys.
The only issue I have found is opening the door with a key after the alarm has been activated by locking with the FOB will sound the alarm until the key is inserted in the ignition and switched to On. None of the FOBs have to be with me to start and operate the vehicle.
If the passenger door and trunk had lock cylinders I would leave my remotes at home.
The keys don't learn the vehicle, the vehicle learns the keys and remotes.

Sorry OP, the only way I know of to delete the missing keys is dealer reprogramming.
My dealer was nice enough to program a new remote for my ex's G6 for, IIRC, $20.
Seems like they are ripping you.