Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Cleaning Tinted Windows

My camaro has the windows tinted and I want them clean with no streaks, who doesn't? But how do I achieve this? I have heard that rubbing alcohol works really well on windows. Is this true? Does it work on the tint as well? Or will it completely ruin it?
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
My method is either Stoner's Invisible Glass or Meguiars D120, I spray onto the microfiber towel, wipe across the window, buff with another microfiber towel, spray onto another side of the first microfiber towel, wipe across window again, and buff with another microfiber on a clean side. A little lengthy but my windows are always spotless and streak free. Doing the process only once can leave streaks in my experience.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
i'm not sure about using rubbing alcohol on them, but do be sure to avoid anything with ammonia (such as windex). Ammonia will react with the tint with time, either causing it to blotch, or making it pull off the window (bubble). A good ammonia-free cleaner would work. Honestly, a lot of people I know just use a good micro-fiber made for window-cleaning (the feel of these microfibers is a little different from 'normal' microfiber towels) and water. If you clean it often, that's all that's necessary.

I personally use Adam's glass cleaner with a microfiber for window cleaner.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
supercharged zl1

Drives: '13 camaro zl1 '08 daytona charger
Get some water and buy a squeegee
supercharged zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
NO alchohol or ammonia on tinted windows! you should have recieved some cleaning instructions from your tinting company.

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Bought it used and it came like that
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
liquid spray wax.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
We have a huge selection of glass cleaning products that will do what your looking at the Autopia Car Care Store., I use these products like Sprayway Glass Cleaner,Stoner Invisible Glass Aerosol, Meguiar's Glass Cleaner, or Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner and never had a problem with them using a CLEAN Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel. Take at look and see what we have.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Alcohol is fine on the exterior, but for the interior where tint film is applied you have to use a product free of alcohol and ammonia b/c (as pointed out earlier) it will damage/discolor the film.

Adam's Glass Cleaner is alcohol and ammonia free, and works great with a Microfiber Glass Towel. I generally use 2 towels to do windows. The first is used WITH cleaner to break up streaks, fingerprints, smudges, etc. I then follow with a 2nd towel WITHOUT cleaner to buff the glass to perfectly clear.

For your windshield its actually pretty rare that you have to use chemical. The fog that generates over time is easily removed with a dry microfiber glass towel and generally theres not enough 'stuff' on there to necessitate a cleaner.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I just use water and microfiber towel. I have never had streak marks. You just have to put some elbow grease into it
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
stoners, only thing that works well for me

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I just use a microfibre and water and it cleans great. No spots or streaks and no risk of damage. Didnt think it would work soo well but it truly works great for me
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, rubbing alcohol, tint, windows