Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
mike78nc

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
P0442 code

Hey guys. I drive a 2012 Camaro SS L99. I am pulling a P0442 code. This is my luck seeing as it's time for a new tag. I tried making sure the gas cap was tight and clearing the code. It came back on after a couple days of driving. The full code is: P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). When it is throwing the code, my remote start isn't working either. Has anyone had this code? I am looking for some ideas to get it fixed. I just got my car tuned and have been having a blast driving it and now my check engine light is on! I appreciate any help.

Mike
mike78nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
cubamvp

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78nc View Post
Hey guys. I drive a 2012 Camaro SS L99. I am pulling a P0442 code. This is my luck seeing as it's time for a new tag. I tried making sure the gas cap was tight and clearing the code. It came back on after a couple days of driving. The full code is: P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). When it is throwing the code, my remote start isn't working either. Has anyone had this code? I am looking for some ideas to get it fixed. I just got my car tuned and have been having a blast driving it and now my check engine light is on! I appreciate any help.

Mike

Check the gas cap plus the hoses. For me it was a evap hose. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cubamvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
mike78nc

I checked the gas cap and then cleared the code and it came back on in a couple days. I haven't had the chance to check the hoses or anything yet I will do that in the next day or two. Is it ok to keep driving it around that way can see if the light will go off? If I do end up having to take it to the dealership should I take my custom tune off and return it stock before I take it in. I don't have the factory warranty, I paid for an extended warranty as I bought the car used with 28k miles. Thanks again for any help.

Mike
Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Betting it's a tiny crack in a hose, happened on my wife's Jeep cherokee. Engine light would go on, but when I plugged in my code reader, I would not get any codes. Know yours is the opposite but betting it's the hose

Last edited by mydreamcar; 08-08-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Sp
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
mike78nc

Thanks for the help. Will be investigating more tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I didn't have it on my Camaro but on my 2015 Silverado. It took 6 trips to the dealership and them to do a smoke test to find a tiny crack in the hose/line just like the previous post mentioned. I drove around with the light on for almost a month and yes your remote start won't work when the CEL is on.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
butch2000

Drives: 2010 RS , SS , supercharged ,
The evap test only runs when the tank is at a certain % of fuel , not full and not empty , check the evap lines going to the intake , etc , if you have a scan tool you should be able to run a in bay test from cold rather then chasing every few days , could be a bad vent solenoid as well ?
any work been done on the car other then the tuning ? maybe something got bumped , etc
butch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
mike78nc

I'm not sure if I can run a test. I'm using my SCT tuner to read codes. I have Corsa cat back exhaust and a Cai cold air intake that was on the car when I bought it used over a year ago. The only things I have done to the car is B&M deep trans pan and dip stick and then the tune with the SCT device tuned by dynosteve. When I lift the hood and take the engine cover off, I hear a sound like a vacuum leak but I didn't have any luck when I tried to find it. Also when I bought the car used it was as is with no warranty. I bought an extended warranty for it which at the time I was honestly just pumped to get the car so I didn't ask enough questions about the warranty so idk if it would cover any of this stuff. I was going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. I was going to try and get a smoke test done on the car. Do you think I should try and get this done? I can more than likely fix whatever the issue is myself if I can just figure out where the issue is. I appreciate the help guys.

Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78nc View Post
I'm not sure if I can run a test. I'm using my SCT tuner to read codes. I have Corsa cat back exhaust and a Cai cold air intake that was on the car when I bought it used over a year ago. The only things I have done to the car is B&M deep trans pan and dip stick and then the tune with the SCT device tuned by dynosteve. When I lift the hood and take the engine cover off, I hear a sound like a vacuum leak but I didn't have any luck when I tried to find it. Also when I bought the car used it was as is with no warranty. I bought an extended warranty for it which at the time I was honestly just pumped to get the car so I didn't ask enough questions about the warranty so idk if it would cover any of this stuff. I was going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. I was going to try and get a smoke test done on the car. Do you think I should try and get this done? I can more than likely fix whatever the issue is myself if I can just figure out where the issue is. I appreciate the help guys.

Mike
If it is a vacuum leak, the way we used to test for that was spray a little ether where the suspected leak may be while the engine is at idle. When the idle goes up you found the leak. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=P0442
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote