Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Tranmission noise?

When the engine/trans is warmed up, most noticeable while starting from stops under normal throttle, there is a whine/buzz sound. I first thought it were the valve-train but, the sound is not there while the engine is revved up without moving.

History of the car, has a cam, tsp springs, p/r, CHE, Circle D 3200 and all the other supporting mods.

The sound is noticeable and hopefully it can be heard on the videos if you listen for a whine type of sound. It happens with ac on or off and does not appear to be from the front of the engine and again only happens while accelerating. While the engine/trans is cool I do not hear the noise at all.

In drive when the engine is warm there is a small "whirl" type of sound when stopped at a light, not loud but if I put it into neutral the sound goes away. A video cannot capture that sound as it is very low.

The main sound I am concerned about is the buzz/whine sounds under acceleration. In the first video you can hear it at the 3 second mark to have a good reference of the sound. Second video some good sounds of it around the 5 second mark.

Thoughts?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
ReVeNanTSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary EU
Mine doing same...( Do you find out where is the problem?
ReVeNanTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeNanTSS View Post
Mine doing same...( Do you find out where is the problem?
Turns out it was the TC but they also found the clutch drum had cracks which may or may not have caused the noise. Not sure since the drum was replaced with the TC.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Was gonna say that. When the Precision 3200 TC in mine decided to crack the hub where it goes into the trans front and engage toe pump, it expanded and I heard these same kind of noises, plus trans fluid under my Camaro and by the time I got her to the shop it had wiped out my front pump housing and all the seals and the pump. The TC was still under warranty but the rest of the damage was about 1500 bucks!! Ouch.. Glad you found it before all that..
Old 01-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Was gonna say that. When the Precision 3200 TC in mine decided to crack the hub where it goes into the trans front and engage toe pump, it expanded and I heard these same kind of noises, plus trans fluid under my Camaro and by the time I got her to the shop it had wiped out my front pump housing and all the seals and the pump. The TC was still under warranty but the rest of the damage was about 1500 bucks!! Ouch.. Glad you found it before all that..
I'm not sure what was wrong with the TC, it was sent back to Circle D for a rebuild. I called them to ask about it but nothing stood out to them that they thought. So maybe it was just bad bearings or something, who knows. Thankfully besides the drum being cracked which apparently is common, nothing else abnormal was found. They did install some Transgo parts, I believe the TC upgrade and valve body kits. The TC is way better now and looser for the car, previously it would seem to grab way too early, around 2700-2900 for a 3200 stall. Now its way closer to 4k and Circle D said they upgraded the stator to their newest model which is supposedly a lot better.

I had an ADM transcooler on it prior but was bypassing the radiator. I had them rehook it back to the radiator, but it looks like they got the routing wrong. Now it goes to the cooler first and then to the radiator. Not sure how big of a deal that is but I thought it should go to the radiator first and then the cooler.

My cost for all that parts/labor was about $2,900 :(
Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
I'm not sure what was wrong with the TC, it was sent back to Circle D for a rebuild. I called them to ask about it but nothing stood out to them that they thought. So maybe it was just bad bearings or something, who knows. Thankfully besides the drum being cracked which apparently is common, nothing else abnormal was found. They did install some Transgo parts, I believe the TC upgrade and valve body kits. The TC is way better now and looser for the car, previously it would seem to grab way too early, around 2700-2900 for a 3200 stall. Now its way closer to 4k and Circle D said they upgraded the stator to their newest model which is supposedly a lot better.

I had an ADM transcooler on it prior but was bypassing the radiator. I had them rehook it back to the radiator, but it looks like they got the routing wrong. Now it goes to the cooler first and then to the radiator. Not sure how big of a deal that is but I thought it should go to the radiator first and then the cooler.

My cost for all that parts/labor was about $2,900 :(
Wow that was a big repair! Yea when we torn my trans apart and checked out everything, all was good inside. Also glad you got the TC repaired under warranty and it is now working correctly. Yea my 3200 I have would flash up to around 3800 when I got on it which is where it should, my 4200 flashes up to 4800-5000, oh boy!! Fun. I ran the 3200 for 2 years before I finally decided it was not enough for my cam setup. Your TC might of had some incorrect parts inside not allowing it to "flash" properly for the stall speed it was supposed to be at and that caused demise of it, too tight setup and clearances inside. Anyway, glad she is all good now. Enjoy that baby!!
Old 01-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Wow that was a big repair! Yea when we torn my trans apart and checked out everything, all was good inside. Also glad you got the TC repaired under warranty and it is now working correctly. Yea my 3200 I have would flash up to around 3800 when I got on it which is where it should, my 4200 flashes up to 4800-5000, oh boy!! Fun. I ran the 3200 for 2 years before I finally decided it was not enough for my cam setup. Your TC might of had some incorrect parts inside not allowing it to "flash" properly for the stall speed it was supposed to be at and that caused demise of it, too tight setup and clearances inside. Anyway, glad she is all good now. Enjoy that baby!!
Oh sadly the tc was three months out of warranty. Circle D only gives one year so I had to pay to rebuild it, $450 I believe. But yes, higher stall really helped the car and keeps it in the power band. Much more enjoyable to drive now.

Glad your issues were not so big and yours is good

Last edited by havelegs; 01-17-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Oh sadly the tc was three months out of warranty. Circle D only gives one year so I had to pay to rebuild it, $450 I believe. But yes, higher stall really helped the car and keeps it in the power band. Much more enjoyable to drive now.

Glad your issues were so big and yours is good
Oh snap!! Whoops, I thought you said it was still under warranty. Sorry. Yea I got lucky with mine for sure, I always look under my Camaro when I put her up for the night, and especially when I hear weird sounds. Also glad to hear she is "more" fun to drive now!! Wait til you put a 4200 in there, if you ever decide to!! Talk about fun!! Wow.. Enjoy and stay well!!