Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Combat Sports thread (MMA,Boxing,etc.)

Hey yo,

We have had a few sporadic threads talking about MMA and boxing and specific martial arts disciplines. I think it would be cool to roll all of these elements into one thread.

I am a member of a prominent MMA forum and they have a rule that I think would be good to have here: No fighter-bashing. Calling any fighter a "can" or using seriously derogatory remarks towards their skills should be avoided. Anybody who steps into a ring or cage to engage in combat with another athlete deserves some respect.

With that, have at it! If we get some good discussions going I'll update this first post as an index of sorts.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

UFC 153

The event is this weekend! Who is checking it out? I know I am. Here is a brief rundown of the card and my prediction. What are your thoughts?

Phil Davis v Wagner Prado: Mr. Wonderful Phil Davis was on a tear in the UFC, using his high level wrestling to neutralize a lot of well-rounded fighters like Gustafson and little Nog. But his aura slowed a bit when he was handedly beaten by Rashad. Wagner Prado is riding a lot of hype himself, and has big power. Can the wrestling of Davis neutralize his stand-up? I don’t think it can. I have Wagner taking a 29-28 decision.

Jon Fitch v Erick Silva: Fitch was long regarded as the best welterweight not named GSP. However, his wrestling technique, smothering top game, and lack of finishes have earned him a lot of criticism. He was also knocked out in his last outing against a very game Hendricks. Silva is riding a lot of hype and has been extremely impressive. He may just be the next ‘big thing’ at welterweight. I see Silva ending this in the second round via TKO.

Glover Teixeira vs Fabio Maldonado: This one promises fireworks. Teixeira’s debut was an obliteration of Kyle Kingsbury, and he is already living up to his hype. However, he is fighting another well rounded power house in Maldonado. Both men have promised that their game plan is focused on showing who is the more powerful striker, and both are looking to cement themselves as a top tier fighter. I am really looking forward to this. I think Teixeira narrowly has the better hands. Teixeira via second round KO.

Minotauro Nogueira v Dave Herman: Big Nog is finally back from the gruesome loss he suffered to Frank Mir. Pee Wee Herman has been on a roll as of late. But Big Nog rebounds well, and he always seems to win fights against up-and-comers in the division, like Schaub. Look for Big Nog to show he is still a top 10 heavyweight. Big Nog via first round submission.

Main Event:
Anderson Silva v Stephan Bonnar: A fight nobody saw coming, but two old school fighters stepped up to save a failing PPV card. This fight is at 205, which is only Silva’s third bout in the weight class. Unfortunately, that is the only advantage for Bonnar, as Silva can outclass him in just about every aspect of the fight, save grappling. Bonnar is tough as nails and has never been finished. He will keep coming forward and make this an exciting fight. But Silva continues his legendary roll, and I see a second round TKO victory as Bonnar gets overwhelmed.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
You wouldn't happen to be a Sher-bro, would you?

I am still debating if I am going to be watching this upcoming PPV, as I might be going to a drifting competition that same night. Although, it does look like a great card and I will agree with you on the outcomes of each of these fights. I sure hope that Big Nog's arm is back to 100% fully recovered and that he does not see any effects of it during this fight.

I still remember during the last Davis vs Prado fight, all of us in Staples Center started chanting, "Let them fight! Let them fight!" It didn't work
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
You wouldn't happen to be a Sher-bro, would you?

I am still debating if I am going to be watching this upcoming PPV, as I might be going to a drifting competition that same night. Although, it does look like a great card and I will agree with you on the outcomes of each of these fights. I sure hope that Big Nog's arm is back to 100% fully recovered and that he does not see any effects of it during this fight.

I still remember during the last Davis vs Prado fight, all of us in Staples Center started chanting, "Let them fight! Let them fight!" It didn't work
I am a sher-bro in a sense, but not a poster, just a reader. Not sure I want to wade into those waters, as I'm sure you can imagine

Definitely checking out this card. I can post a summary if you can't catch it, I will include a spoiler alert!

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I am a sher-bro in a sense, but not a poster, just a reader. Not sure I want to wade into those waters, as I'm sure you can imagine

Definitely checking out this card. I can post a summary if you can't catch it, I will include a spoiler alert!
Gotcha! Yeah some of those guys provide great lulz and always make me laugh.

Most of the time when I don't catch a PPV live, I watch the replays the next day. But thank you for offering. I think the Silva\Bonnar fight is going to pretty much have the same result as the Griffin fight.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Well, the event occurred several days ago, but just in case:

**********Spoiler Alert**********

Fight results:

Phil Davis def. Wagner Prado: sub round 2
Demian Maia def Rick Story: sub round 1
John Fitch def Erick Silva: UD
Glover Teixeira def Fabio Maldonado: TKO round 2 (I almost called it!)
Big Nog def Dave Herman: sub round 1 (I Called it!)
Silva def Bonnar: TKO round 1 (called it but wrong round)

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
rhunley14

Drives: Camaro SS
Bonnar needs to retire ..
rhunley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
rhunley14

Anderson silva we are not worthy!!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
How Do You Feel About Women Competing In The UFC?

Dana White: Women fighting in UFC 'absolutely going to happen' due to Ronda Rousey.

Ronda Rousey will be the first female fighter to compete in the UFC.

The burgeoning superstar remains under contract to Strikeforce, but Rousey's performance in 2012 has convinced UFC president Dana White to add a women's division to the sport's flagship brand.
Rousey still has three fights on her Strikeforce contract, White told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, and will fulfill that deal before she moves to the UFC. Sports Illustrated reported today that the UFC would add women.

Ronda Rousey submits Sarah Kaufman via armbar. (Tracy Lee for Y! Sports)

"This isn't breaking news," White said. "I've been saying for months that this was absolutely going to happen. I don't know when it's going to be, because [Rousey] is under contract. We don't have the timing figured out yet. It could be a year, year-and-a-half, but I'm [in support of it]. It's going to happen."

For years, White had been a vocal opponent of women's MMA. But when he saw Rousey defeat Miesha Tate in March, he began to warm to the idea of women in the UFC.
His objection in the past was the dearth of quality women, but on Tuesday, he told Yahoo! Sports that he considers Tate, former Olympic silver medalist wrestler Sara McMann and Cris "Cyborg" Santos as first-rate fighters.

Rousey, though, is the biggest name and by far the top attraction. She's the only woman ever to receive votes in the Yahoo! Sports MMA rankings.
White said he wants Rousey in the UFC because he considers her "the real deal."

"Look, I know a lot of people are going to say we're doing this because she's pretty," White said. "But [ex-Strikeforce star] Gina [Carano] was pretty, too. Ronda is a whole other story. She's nasty. She's a real fighter. She not only likes to win, she likes to finish. Think about this: Everyone she fights knows what is coming, that armbar of hers, and no one can stop it. They have a whole [expletive] training camp to prepare for that one move and nobody has been able to stop it yet.

"People who are nasty and technically sound and have that attitude, I love them. She's an Olympic medalist and she's got a great history, but she's in the gym all the time. She's a dude in a girl's body. She loves to beat the [expletive] out of people and she's serious about getting better. She's not saying, 'I'm the champ and I've beaten everyone in the first round,' and taking a victory tour. She's up there in Stockton working with the Diaz brothers, trying to get better."

Rousey is expected to fight in January, though nothing has been announced. Two Strikeforce cards in a row have been canceled, leading to speculation about its future, though White declined to speak about it. White typically refuses to speak about Strikeforce to reporters.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
rhunley14

I think why not. I know some women that would whip most men's ass lol..
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

I have a combat sports thread, btw, which this falls under.

Nothing to see here really. Old news. There are already several other promotions with deep Women's divisions. UFC is just the big leagues so casual fans are just now seeing the news.

Rousey is a beast. She is a one-trick pony and nobody is close to stopping that trick. She has the charisma and looks to back up her skillset. Easy for her to be the poster woman of the sport.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Big change from what Dana said a few years ago about women fighting in the UFC

2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
VR1LE
lighten up Francis

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
What ,Dana White changing his mind oh no not again.

VR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
As long as top pull offs are legal I'm down for that
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote