Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #99
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Would you like a prize?
I bumped the thread for people that have not yet seen it/people that joined the community since it was made/last posted in.
...good idea, thanks for bringing it forward again to give those who don't know the opportunity to learn about it, there are many new owners among us that don't know.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #100
BlackinBlack

 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yessssss....but the ZL1 underwent all the same foul-weather testing any other GM car goes through. So it's not any more fragile in that respect than, say, a Malibu. That was my point in response to your comment suggesting it is not up to the challenges of a daily driver.

I have to agree with my serial number buddy. Us serial #214 cars have to stick together. I bought my ZL1 as my daily driver. In FL I am not stressing the cold weather as I will be lucky to see below 40 overnight and have no chance of snow. If I lived up north I would buy a set of crappy 20" rims with All Season tires. People keep acting like this car is some one off vehicle. It is a CAMARO. For the winter run a set of all seasons on a smaller width rim size. Run 20 by 8 and 20 by 9 rims. There are a ton of choice and tires to fit. It is not like you will be pulling 1G through the turns or drag racing when there is snow on the ground. Guys with SS or RS packages have been doing this for years because the Pirelli tires are crap in the cold too. Are LE1 package cars not practical as a DD too? Same tires... (which I hope will inspire tire makers to produce more options for us. I expect a ton of LE1 guys to want bigger rear tires even if it upsets the balance of the car. They for sure will be looking for cheaper just like many ZL1 drivers.)

BTW It has rained everyday from the time I bought my car. BUT she has not given me any issue in the rain. If you have driven a high HP car ever in your life you should know that common sense will keep you out of trouble. Low rpm and proper spacing make weather no big deal. One day last week I could not see 2 car lengths in front of me it was raining so hard. The streets were flood in downtown were I work. I had no issues. The rain diverters in the hood worked great too. When I got home I checked the engine.... dry. Also with the undertray it keeps a ton of dirt from being kicked up into the engine bay.

This car is basically a CTS-V and those cars are great daily drivers. Why would this one not be? Mine has been. Better in fact than my SS. The dual mode exhaust is quieter than my MBRP exhaust but make great sounds when I want it to. The biggest surprise is in touring mode the ride is a ton smoother.

So drive your cars they should not be garage queens. Heck I am have such a hard time saying out of mine that we took it for grocery shopping this week for no other reason than it is FUN to drive.

EDIT: Highlighted the important part of my post. Short answer is buy Snow tires on a 2nd set of rims. No big deal.
__________________
2016 2LZ Z06 Blade Silver

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI

Last edited by BlackinBlack; 10-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #101
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,142
I plan on the purchase of pirrelis....... they come in the right sizes for the zl1 and can be found at tire rack ..........they should have made the zl1 come with p zeros just like my ss
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #102
ZO6 Bryan

 
ZO6 Bryan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,820
Buddy of mine bought a 2012 GT500 the same month I got my ZL1. It has the exact same tires as the ZL1 just different size. Has Ford not the same warnings to their customers?
__________________
Bryan 695 SAE RWHP 2012 ZL1 9.55 pulley custom cam and Kooks headers, 2002 Z06 447 RWHP, 2006 Trailblazer SS, 1995 S/C Vortech Trans Am 570 RWHP(for sale)
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #103
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Buddy of mine bought a 2012 GT500 the same month I got my ZL1. It has the exact same tires as the ZL1 just different size. Has Ford not the same warnings to their customers?
#1 They are not GM warnings. The warnings come from Goodyear.
#2 The tread compound developed for the ZR1 is supposed to be proprietary and unique to the ZL1
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #104
phantom
phantom
 
phantom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: depere, wi
Posts: 143
Last winter they were driving the fleet of test vehicles all winter in the Detroit area, what tires were on those cars. I fortunately have a heated garage, and it gets cold in GB, was 20 F last night. I've even thought of putting my Z on blocks, and putting the tires in a warm safe place, but there's always the possibility of a fire and it would suck if the car's on blocks and wouldn't be able to move. This sucks!!!!
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #105
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
Last winter they were driving the fleet of test vehicles all winter in the Detroit area, what tires were on those cars. I fortunately have a heated garage, and it gets cold in GB, was 20 F last night. I've even thought of putting my Z on blocks, and putting the tires in a warm safe place, but there's always the possibility of a fire and it would suck if the car's on blocks and wouldn't be able to move. This sucks!!!!
Pirellis. fbodfather made a thread about it
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #106
ZO6 Bryan

 
ZO6 Bryan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
#1 They are not GM warnings. The warnings come from Goodyear.
#2 The tread compound developed for the ZR1 is supposed to be proprietary and unique to the ZL1
I guess it's not in the owner's manual. I was in the ZL1 info videos.
I'm sure his GT500 has the same tread compound. They are the exact same F1 G2 supercar tire. Same tread pattern, same coumpound, just a little smaller.
__________________
Bryan 695 SAE RWHP 2012 ZL1 9.55 pulley custom cam and Kooks headers, 2002 Z06 447 RWHP, 2006 Trailblazer SS, 1995 S/C Vortech Trans Am 570 RWHP(for sale)
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #107
Silverguardrail

 
Silverguardrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 892
Thanks Mr. Wyndham / I used to be Dragoneye for the information.
I'd like to say that knowing the ZL1 is a "Factory built Race Car" with "Summer Only
Tires"... it has to be cared for in an appropriate manner.
Read the Bulletins and make an informed decision.
Take care of it and it will serve thee well.
And the ZL1 is MOST certainly a Daily Driver Car.... just NOT below 40 degrees.
Be safe and enjoy !
__________________
2012 ZL1 SIM, MN6, B92, RTQ


ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #108
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 2,111
These tires sure act like drag radials. Outside temp is 46 F here and they are like hockey pucks, but hook pretty decent in hot temps.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #109
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER
 
pumpkinrancho's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 A10 ZL1,14 2ssrs,96,85,79,69&67
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SE. WYO & Northern CO, W NEB
Posts: 1,239
There are weeks here where it doesnt get above 40 degrees. Guess it will have to be under its heated blanket.
__________________
pumpkinrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #110
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
I guess it's not in the owner's manual. I was in the ZL1 info videos.
I'm sure his GT500 has the same tread compound. They are the exact same F1 G2 supercar tire. Same tread pattern, same coumpound, just a little smaller.
PS2 are a good example of same tire, looks identical but is a different tire. Micheline makes the PS2 in a 305/30/19 buried in the Michelin info is a special N designation model of the same tire used only on a Porsche. Last year we ran Michelins that require a VIN from a supercar to order.

Part of the ZL1 development was working with GY to create a ZL1 specific set of tires. They are supposed to be exclusive to GM.

We do work for a number of different companies and specific applications. We would never sell the exact same spec product to one of their competitors. On the other hand when a business partner pushes you to develop a better product it is very hard to keep that knowledge tied up in a box. Our Chevrolet Sonic coilovers are absolutely AWESOME. Hands down they are the best small FWD project we have done. If Honda were to call and ask for coilovers for a similar size, weight and configuration vehicle how could we start the new project without knowing what works so well on the Sonic? Proprietary Intellectual Property Rights are always protected and respected. Separating Proprietary Intellectual Property Rights from Knowledge and Experience is a legal, moral and ethical dilemma.

Are the Ford GYs the same as the ZL1 GYs? My guess is there are compound and construction difference, but there are also a lot of similarities.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #111
gs-63
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
PS2 are a good example of same tire, looks identical but is a different tire. Micheline makes the PS2 in a 305/30/19 buried in the Michelin info is a special N designation model of the same tire used only on a Porsche. Last year we ran Michelins that require a VIN from a supercar to order.

Part of the ZL1 development was working with GY to create a ZL1 specific set of tires. They are supposed to be exclusive to GM.

We do work for a number of different companies and specific applications. We would never sell the exact same spec product to one of their competitors. On the other hand when a business partner pushes you to develop a better product it is very hard to keep that knowledge tied up in a box. Our Chevrolet Sonic coilovers are absolutely AWESOME. Hands down they are the best small FWD project we have done. If Honda were to call and ask for coilovers for a similar size, weight and configuration vehicle how could we start the new project without knowing what works so well on the Sonic? Proprietary Intellectual Property Rights are always protected and respected. Separating Proprietary Intellectual Property Rights from Knowledge and Experience is a legal, moral and ethical dilemma.

Are the Ford GYs the same as the ZL1 GYs? My guess is there are compound and construction difference, but there are also a lot of similarities.
I read somewhere that the Mustang 285 were heavier than the ZL1 285
because construction was different. Tire Rack list two different 285
gs-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #112
ZO6 Bryan

 
ZO6 Bryan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-63 View Post
I read somewhere that the Mustang 285 were heavier than the ZL1 285
because construction was different. Tire Rack list two different 285
Yes, a left and a right side tire.
__________________
Bryan 695 SAE RWHP 2012 ZL1 9.55 pulley custom cam and Kooks headers, 2002 Z06 447 RWHP, 2006 Trailblazer SS, 1995 S/C Vortech Trans Am 570 RWHP(for sale)
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Papa John's Giving Away Free Pizza To Any Camaro Owner Tomorrow! Blue Maro Demon 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 332 02-13-2012 11:29 PM
SLP ZL1 TESTED!!!!! SVT_SRT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 08-03-2011 09:50 AM
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 11:51 AM
Tire Monitoring System monevz28 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 7 11-22-2009 04:42 PM
Any V8 Owners have to buy a new set of tires yet domano 68 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 08-27-2009 06:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.