Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
IronMikeSSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Constant race challenges?

Hey guys, I sometimes experience something on the road with this Camaro that is a little disconcerting. I'm sure a lot of you are, too, and I was curious as to how you deal with it.

Middle aged guys (like myself) in newer Mustangs and 4th gen Camaros keep wanting to race me on the freeway, driving all around the car and popping the clutch, etc. I ignore them, but one yesterday was pretty persistent.

I'm getting older, and so I'm a lot more cautious than I used to be: racing in general and racing on the freeway in traffic seems like a good way to leave your kids without a father. Or, worse, to hurt someone completely innocent.

Was just curoius as to some of your experiences, etc..
IronMikeSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
StrangeMan

Drives: 2SS SIM/Blk
Send a message via Yahoo to StrangeMan
Not many challenges with my car in the garage and it snowing to beat the band. :(
StrangeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Yes,

I've experienced this a great deal as well. I have taken a very light hearted approach to all the wack-jobs that feel threatened and must flex there muscles on public roads. I try to get out of their way by any means necessary. If persistance follows then I actually go to a level that requires decreasing speed or even pulling over for a cup of coffee and a Twinkie.

I learned this the hard way about 10 years ago as a kid in high school... A 4th gen SS camaro with mirror black tint was egging me on to race at a stop light in my home town. Guy was revving his engine and I dropped the clutch in my Prelude only to find out a minute later that the guy was an undercover Sherriff and I got a 6 pt ticket and court costs, fees, troubles et al.

My 2SS is a very fast and fun car. I drive it with the level of respect it deserves. Slow and SAFE!

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post

My 2SS is a very fast and fun car. I drive it with the level of respect it deserves. Slow and SAFE!
????

I can understand that you drive slow and safe on public roads...I agree with that...but to say that the car deserves to be driven slow is BLASPHEMY!!!!
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMikeSSRS View Post
Hey guys, I sometimes experience something on the road with this Camaro that is a little disconcerting. I'm sure a lot of you are, too, and I was curious as to how you deal with it.

Middle aged guys (like myself) in newer Mustangs and 4th gen Camaros keep wanting to race me on the freeway, driving all around the car and popping the clutch, etc. I ignore them, but one yesterday was pretty persistent.

I'm getting older, and so I'm a lot more cautious than I used to be: racing in general and racing on the freeway in traffic seems like a good way to leave your kids without a father. Or, worse, to hurt someone completely innocent.

Was just curoius as to some of your experiences, etc..
I get it all the time. Just ignore them and they will move on. if you want to see what your car (and you as a driver) can do, take it to a track.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
I learned this the hard way about 10 years ago as a kid in high school... A 4th gen SS camaro with mirror black tint was egging me on to race at a stop light in my home town. Guy was revving his engine and I dropped the clutch in my Prelude only to find out a minute later that the guy was an undercover Sherriff and I got a 6 pt ticket and court costs, fees, troubles et al.
This seems like entrapment to me. Obviously, what you did was illegal, but that seems like a pretty good way for a police officer to get a reprimand from his superiors. That sucks regardless.

To the OP, I've had plenty of morons try to race me on the freeways around town. Everyone from your typical V6 Mustang to a minivan and several dodge trucks. It gets old and annoying real quick. Usually I use the traffic around me to my advantage to get them stuck back behind me

Or if it gets too hairy with some of these tools, just pull off onto a sidestreet and take a scenic detour.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
full of days

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
????

I can understand that you drive slow and safe on public roads...I agree with that...but to say that the car deserves to be driven slow is BLASPHEMY!!!!
Just because I've got 447 HP doesnt mean I've got to use all of it...

Post Tenebras Lux

Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
full of days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
This seems like entrapment to me. Obviously, what you did was illegal, but that seems like a pretty good way for a police officer to get a reprimand from his superiors. That sucks regardless.

To the OP, I've had plenty of morons try to race me on the freeways around town. Everyone from your typical V6 Mustang to a minivan and several dodge trucks. It gets old and annoying real quick. Usually I use the traffic around me to my advantage to get them stuck back behind me

Or if it gets too hairy with some of these tools, just pull off onto a sidestreet and take a scenic detour.

That was what the judge agreed upon...

Post Tenebras Lux

Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
just wave and move along. I had one guy follow me to a conv. store and was acting all hot and big till I stepped out of the car. Then he moved along. Maybe he didn't recognize I am a powerlifter 'until' I stepped out.. then he was the one waving, giving thumbs up and moving the hell along.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I can control my car at higher speeds, but I can't control every other idiot out there.

One of my daughter's professors was killed last year near my house along with her 2 year old and a teenager in the other car. Two cars were racing (Eclipse vs. Camaro) and the Mitsubishi t-boned her as she was pulling out of her development. The driver that hit them was charged with 3 counts of murder - and the driver of the Camaro (who was racing, but not involved in the accident) was also charged with 3 counts of murder.

Google: cynthia furr murder

I'm not going to risk anything (or everything) based on the unknown skill level or mental state of the idiot next to me.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, it happens a lot - my gf even notes it and mentions it. I typically don't look at them at all...and move on at a safe & legal speed - whether it's behind them or not...I don't race on the streets...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I have had a couple people try to get me to race them. I don't really care weather I could beat them or not. I just let them pass me and go on. Having a fast car is awsome, but getting home safely in one piece to see my son is even better.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I'm sure the idiot beside you that you speak of thought the same thing.
Perhaps, but individually we're only messing with our own lives. Racing adds another element that could make the feeble-minded push themselves beyond their skill level.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Oh lordy, here we go again
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote