Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Unhappy Windsheild replacement woes

First the car is a 2011 2SS with HUD and no remote start. Has a crack going from chip to all four corners. Insurance covers repalcement with no deductable. They set it up so Safelite will do the work. Safelite comes out with windsheild and the tech and I notice the 'dirt ring/trim' (his term for the black dots around the edge and in the brow) is different. Since the car is my wifes baby and I know she wont be happy with it I ask him to check if its the correct windhsheild. He calls his office they say it is but its aftermarket glass. They would check to see if they could get OEM. Meanwhile as I wait to hear back from them, I contact insurance and they approve replacement with OEM. Cost diffence is minimal and they cover it 100%. After waiting a week I contact Safelite. They have done nothing since tech left my house. We go around a couple times, them apologizing blah blah, and then they order glass using the VIN from local dealer. Before arrived at Safelite office I called same dealer and gave them VIN just so I would know what kind of wait I would have. They tell me there are three different PN#s even tho they have entered the VIN. It's a two week wait. Safelite is telling me three days. Anyway the next glass comes in after I have left the country. I had gone over it with my wife telling her to check it before the install., Guess what. Its the same glass. Now I dont know if it was the exact same piece or if it just has same 'Dirt ring/trim'. Tech agrees and they send it back to order another. Just yesterday they call and say they have it. Wife goes to check and its the same again. My wife went to the dealer that Safelite is ordering from and shows parts guy her car with original broken glass. He says yes he sees a difference. She asks, 'has there been a change?'. He replies, 'he doesn't know'. She ask 'aren't you supposed to know the product you are selling?' he replies, 'I should'.
Can anyone tell me if GM has changed the glass from 11 to now? The difference is that the trim/ring is now solid black all the way around and the in the brow where the part that sticks down behind the mirror protrudes down more and is more narrow. Its an obvious difference. My neighbors '12 45th has same glass as our two 11's. The dealer is going to look into but I have a feeling they will not be able to provide any information. I was hoping someone would know if there is a difference or if they are just trying to stick us with crappy looking aftermarket glass even tho insurance approved OEM repalcement. Its been six weeks so its starting to get annoying. Thanks for letting me vent and for any assistance you can provide.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Just looked at my 2013, it has a very narrow band of the dots (about a quarter inch wide) around the edge of the solid black band and the center brow part is at least a foot wide if not wider. I have a 2SS.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Just looked at my 2013, it has a very narrow band of the dots (about a quarter inch wide) around the edge of the solid black band and the center brow part is at least a foot wide if not wider. I have a 2SS.
That's what my other car and the neighbors '12 look like. Maybe the change was for '14. If there is a change. The center part is the worst. It's not a foot wide and it protrudes farther down the windshield. Thx for looking.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote