Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
modiecast

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS / Sold my 2010 2SS/RS
My 2010 Camaro Review

Well, it's been a little over a week since I picked up my new RJT 2SS/RS and I have put almost 400 miles on the odometer, so I thought I would write a short review. So here it goes...

1. The V8 engine is a work of art. Mine is mated to a 6-speed transmission and it has plenty of power. The power is a little flat though between 3,000-4,000 rpm's. Still, it is awesome. When you start this car up, you think to yourself "man, I wish the exhaust was louder", but when you actually drive the car, wow does it ever sound good. It emmits a nice deep growl throughout the powerband, unlike the Mustang GT which sounds more raspy indicitive of it's smaller displacement engine. I originally thought about modifying the exhaust, but now that I've lived with the car, I'm happy with the way GM tuned it. At crusing speeds below 2,000 rpm's, the cabin is quiet.

2. The fit and finish is excellent and for me I think the paint job is very, very nicely done. I know some have complained about this, but no issues here. Both the exterior and interior are well put together. So far, I have not had one issue with the car which is more than I can say for GM cars 10 or more years ago. I am a big GM fan and also have an 08' Suburban and an 09' Silverado in the household and all have been super reliable and were delivered with zero defects that would have required a trip back to the dealer. Bravo GM!

3. The interior is excellent. Having looked at the Challenger and the Mustang, I think it is the best of all three. It is simple, functional and meets the retro target the designers were shooting for. My only beef with the interior layout if the speedometer and tach which seem smallish and hard to read (especially the speedo). Therefore, I find myself relying on the digital speedometer in the DIC between the two gauges.

4. Wow factor. As others have said, this car gets attention. If you like to be the center of attention, this car is for you. I can't go anywhere without someone talking to me if I stop or pointing at the car as I drive by. I believe just the very presence of the car has nearly caused several accidents.

5. Visibility - Yes, it's not perfect and when I first got in the car it was almost alarming, but like any car, you quickly get used to it. I don't think it is a safety issue once you familiarize yourself with the car.

6. 6-speed manual transmission - Throws are a little long for my taste and the thing (forget what it is called) that send your shifter from 1st to 4th when you shift from a certain RPM band sucks. I will be over riding that very quickly. I'd prefer a little shorter throw and will change the shifter as soon as a performance alternative is released that looks worth. The leather covered shift know is heaven in the hand and the shifter does move positively and easily.

7. What I wish the car had that it doesn't - Likey due to cost cutting, there are some things missing from this car that I am just used to in my high line GM vehicles. The first is a seat memory. On my other Chevy vehicles, there is a two driver seat memory with an exit feature. It is not so equipped on the Camaro. Besides the fact that both my wife and I drive this car and we would appreciate being able to push a button to set the seat and controls back to our individual preferences, the exit feature that is common on these systems would be invaluable on the Camaro. Every time I get in the car, me ass rubs the side bolster of the seat back. This will no doubt be a wear area. If the seat moved all the way back when I shut the car off so that exit and entry were easier, it would not only make it easier to get in and out, it would also save a lot of wear.

Next, the passenger seat travels back and forth with a manual pull lever located at the front of the seat. This is so 1980's I can't even believe it. There is a power switch to ove the seat back up and down, but not to move it forward and back. Come on GM.

When you push the seat back forward as activated by a pull handle on the back center of the seat back to get a passenger into and out of the back, the seat does not also slide forward to make it easier to get in and out. In my opinion, when you pull this lever, not only should the seat back go forward, but so too should the entire seat move forward on it's tracks. This ought to be an easy thing for GM to address since it isn't even a power seat.

The Boston Acoustics stereo is sub-par. My Bose system in my other Chevy vehicles blows the BA system out of the water. I will definately be having some custom work done here soon.

No automatic climate control. Again, even the 09' Silverado LT's with cloth interiors we provide our employees at work have automatic digital climate control. What gives here GM? I have to crank dials and continually adjust them to get the temperature correct. This is obviously another cost cutting feature. Sure I want the retro styling, but I'd like a little bit of current technology built into the car too. After all, fully loaded we're pushing $40k.

OK, enough of the rants. All of these things are items I'm just willing to put up with for the enjoyment of driving this bad ass machine. There's no doubt though that GM has left themselves plenty of room to update and upgrade this bad ass car for many years to come.

I guess the real mark of a good car is the answer to this question. If you had to do it all over again, would you buy a new Camaro? The answer is a resounding YES.

modiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Riverqeen
Riverqueen

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet 4X4, 1942 GPW
Smile Your review

Thanks for the honest review. I can hardly wait for mine. IBM SS
Riverqeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
great review!!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
congrats
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
great review!! thank you.

i also wish it came with the things you suggested. the only other thing i wish it came with was the push-start and keyless entry. i'm so used to it on my lexus, it will be hard to go back to having to actually pull my keys out of my pocket...not hard technology..time to upgrade american car companies!

also, nice work with the body-colored painted ground effects!! sweet
electlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Likarok

Drives: C5 Corvette Coupe
I Agree!

Great Review!

I just hope Obama gives GM the time to add these fixes you suggest before they cut the car completely. We need folks to buy this car like crazy so it brings in the cash for GM. Otherwise there is no doubt that the bureaucrats will cut it.

It kinda sounds like they want to do away with the Corvette ZR1 right now. We may need someone to buy Corvette from GM to even be able to keep it around as a classic American sports car.

To all of you who want to know what the muscle car was like in the 60"s........you better get your ass in gear and buy a Shelby, Challenger, Camaro or Corvette now because Obama is going to get rid of them as soon as they are not selling enough to help contribute to rebuilding success.
Likarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
BlackSunsine

Drives: 1967 Custom Camaro
Thanks for the Review, you have the exact same car I ordered (and have not received).

I would like to see some more pics, so I can share, of what I will be driving.

I also own a 67 Camaro, modified with a 97 LT1 and T56 - Loads of power and pleasure.

As well as a 01 Tahoe and am very happy with the workmanship. 207,500 miles on that beast and it still runs great, I will expect similar results with the new Camaro.

I just hope it is

1967 Chevrolet Camaro (1983)
2004 Harley Davidson Road King(2004)
Ex 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe (2007) (Totaled Labor Day)
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (Thursday)

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS(2009)

Colorado Fall - Beautiful - Cool - Snow is soon!!!
BlackSunsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
jdanza

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS VR-BLACK
Nice... Congrats
Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Honey Bee

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the review. I think my son stopped you the other day at McDonald's. I had been telling him about your car and then he seen it last week while I was out of town. About another month to go before I get mine. Not sure when I will let him take it for a spin though.

Order Placed 2/24/09
3300 Order scheduled for production - 6/16/09
3400 Order broadcast - 6/25/09 - TPW 6/29
3800 Order produced 7/14ish 2G1FC1EV0A9125270
4200 Shipped 7/17
5000 Delivered to the dealer 7/28
6000 Delivered to the customer 7/28

"The waiting is the hardest part" - Tom Petty
Honey Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Thanks for the review.
I'm leaning towards the cheaper 1SS when it does come time to purchase.
I'll save about $3200 right off the bat (about 8 payments).
You mentioned weak stereo....I can only imagine it's not really all that and a bag o chips.
I really think I can live without all the extras that come with the 2SS although I would like to have the steering wheel controls and auto dimming rear-view.

Boston Acoustics® premium 9-speaker 245-watt audio system
Bluetooth® for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system
Cargo convenience net
Driver Information Center (DIC) compass
Four-pack gauges mounted on center console: oil pressure, battery voltage, oil temperature andmtransmission fluid temperature
Inside auto-dimming rearview mirror
Body-color power-adjustable heated mirrors (auto dimming on driver side)
Wireless PDIM (for use of steering-wheel controls with auxiliary device)
Remote vehicle starter system (with automatic transmission)
Leather-appointed front seat trim with SS embroidery
Heated driver and front passenger seats
Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
Universal Home Remote
USB port
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Good review, and nice looking car.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
modiecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bee View Post
Thanks for the review. I think my son stopped you the other day at McDonald's. I had been telling him about your car and then he seen it last week while I was out of town. About another month to go before I get mine. Not sure when I will let him take it for a spin though.

Yes, he was driving a dodhe journey right. Cool guy. Have patience my friend. It's worth the wait!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
modiecast

I just wanted to hop in and update you guys on the BA stereo. After quite a bit of messing around with the equalizier, this system actually is pretty kick ass. It has a ton of bass which means you have to back of the base and turn up he mid-range and treble. Now that I have it where I want it, I think it is better overall than the Bose system in my Silverado. The USB port for the ipod is kick ass too!