Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
PumpinIron

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Who is running a 427 LS3 bottom end?

I'm curious to hear if anyone is running an LS3 bottom end bored / stroked to 427?

Have you had any issues with it? In my head, I think a 427 bottom end would be cool just because then I could get a custom license plate that says "427" as oppose to 416. However, it seems from what I've read that 427 bottom ends (on LS3 blocks at least) can have reliability issues with the bottom of the piston skirts (or something like that, can't remember what it was).

Bottom line is I want to know if going with a 427 over a 416 is a mistake on an N/A motor.

It would never be drag raced, just an occasional weekend fun car that would see some very spirited driving (lots of high speed corners and such).

427 just sounds better than 416, doesn't it? Of course, I realize that's pretty stupid, haha.

Last edited by PumpinIron; 08-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.
PumpinIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
416 all day....
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP stage 4 cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by Wegner Automotive, Bo White ported tb, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I run a 428 because the difference in stroke is so small. But then again everything in a engine is a collection of parts. If you stroke too much you don't want to raise the engines redline much IMO because of the speed the piston is traveling..... And you just want to use some common slug you get what you get when you stroke..either you get one specifically made for what your using it for or you don't. And stock skirts stroked of course would stick out of the bore on the down stroke, piston rock is more of a worry and ring lands......etc and that's why you buy smart, and most go just 416. Or even 408....or don't even stroke really.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr, Powermaster xs 9509 starter, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
PumpinIron

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I run a 428 because the difference in stroke is so small. But then again everything in a engine is a collection of parts. If you stroke too much you don't want to raise the engines redline much IMO because of the speed the piston is traveling..... And you just want to use some common slug you get what you get when you stroke..either you get one specifically made for what your using it for or you don't. And stock skirts stroked of course would stick out of the bore on the down stroke, piston rock is more of a worry and ring lands......etc and that's why you buy smart, and most go just 416. Or even 408....or don't even stroke really.
Who built your 428 stroker for you?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
Who built your 428 stroker for you?
Tommy Wong is his tuner, and Christian is an old engine builder, he does his own work.

Christian, I've never seen you post any time slips. Do you drag race yours?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
I'm curious to hear if anyone is running an LS3 bottom end bored / stroked to 427?.......
54K miles on mine (429ci).

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I got a brand new GM aluminum 427 ZL1 tribute engine at work. Make ya a deal.
Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle,MGW shifter,Vararam OTR intake,Tick,Elite CC,Kooks LT/HFC,Flowmaster Outlaw,Tuned by DynoSteve,Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane radius arm inserts,BMR steering rack bushing,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers,3.91gear,Trutrac,billet caps,1khp axles,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017,Continental Extreme Contact Sports
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Short block was built in Indiana at Sag performance/ custom engine supply by Jerry, they used to be the big seller on Ebay but must be too busy as I don't see them there anymore.

Them and Thompson used to sell a lot of engines on there, I bought mine in the winter a cheaper time and spent 5k shipped all internals forged , the right plugs and passages open etc and everything clearance perfect, I got a mast stroker windage tray and had to clearance it more and installed a good High Volume Pump. And Tommy Wong assembled I don't have a garage just a car port and its too important to do there....

The new Block was like 1400$, the forged was $2500 and machining and shipping and bearings the rest. I used Racetec pistons and Molnar Rods and crank both top choices form Jerry and I agreed. In case you never heard of them; JE pistons used to owned by the guy who makes Racetec, Molnar makes the big names you do know by other names.... Good Luck. No I am busy not drag racing ..LOL, I built it knowing I would bite the bullet and I was right, I filed for bankruptcy about 2 1/2 years ago due to daughters long time graduating from college for biology and neuroscience.... Only 2 1/2 years to go and me and the wife will have about 4 grand more a month in disposable income if I am still alive...( had a Aortic Dissection) , then I may just get the GPI package and up the cam as I under cammed and just used GMMP heads on purpose as I daily drive. The difference in feel in stroked versus not is great so even going mild cam I have a lot more power and torque across the board average and the fell is great. I just need to take it easy on the springs...LOL and just do about 25-30 k I hope on the engine before I go small bore ls7 style heads and different cam..

I did the clutch at the same time I trashed the stock engine form overrev on the freeway trying not to merge with a stupid econo turd that was the king of the road and my shifter sucked literally it could not hit third repeatedly and then months later it dropped a spring but ran strong until the end...had I time to tear the valve covers off I would have found one spring broke and the second would have been spared but hindsight is 20/20 and when its your only ride.....well you do what you do. I will not be in that situation again, hard knocks sucks but its life. SO maybe down the road I see a used Hellcat, and a Turdyota on the horizon and someday one of the kids inherits my Camaro eventually...LOL God is good. Camaros a keeper, so many think a engine is the death of the car, me ...LOL I drove .060 overbored 327's with fuelie heads and 12 bolts from my grand parents...LOL
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr, Powermaster xs 9509 starter, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-13-2019 at 07:26 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
I'm curious to hear if anyone is running an LS3 bottom end bored / stroked to 427?

Have you had any issues with it? In my head, I think a 427 bottom end would be cool......
To be honest.......since you already have the GPI Max Performance kit.......if it were me......and I wanted to go 427ci, I'd put that kit on a LS7 shortblock built for wet sump, and sell the LS3.

But.....that's just what I would do.

Best of luck!

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote