Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Any bolt where the tq spec is given in degrees past a tq is a TTY bolt.

TTY is a more consistent tq when sealants, lubes, locking agents... are used. Those things can throw the tq reading way off, so to get a consistent clamp and bolt stretch you do it in degrees. The bold stretching will maintain a stronger clamp force.

It can only be done once though, the second stretch to that length will not have the same clamping force. It's been fatigued and will just keep stretching instead of clamping. If someone successfully re-used a TTY bolt, they probably didn't stretch it the second time and it is not tq'd properly.

At a drag strip near me there was a critical head injury, someone got hit by a harmonic balancer at the starting line. As the lawsuits were flying, one of the defendants had a failure analysis done. End result... a TTY balancer bolt had been reused and snapped. The shop that did the last motor refresh was in a world of hurt. Any time negligence is involved, it can become $$$$$$$ and even criminal.

If you see anyone re-using a TTY bolt, you are looking at an idiot. Harsh, but fact. They teach that sht in HS auto shop, let alone a tech degree, state certification tests....

Thank you very much for the "upfront and clear explanation" of the TTY bolts. I couldn't agree more. When I had my Brembo calipers powder coated I did replace all 8 caliper bolts. Matter of fact I purchased 8 extras to keep on hand just incase I might need them.

Looking back on my receipt dated September 21, 2017 I paid the following; 8 front caliper bolts #11570788, list was $4.48 each my cost was $3.36 each. For the rears list coast was $3.48 each and my cost $2.61.... So... your insurance policy will cost you $23.88 plus tax each time you change them. CHEAP INSURANCE!

I find it amazing as to how many people reuse the TTY bolts, not just on the calipers but also the head bolts and harmonic balancers. The "potential" dangers and liabilities is not worth the $23.88 insurance policy.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
havelegs

Drives: 2015 1SS RS L99
I replaced mine.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #17
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
His tag says SS not ZL1, if that's the case its not the same brembo.
My bad... we are in the ZL1 section, so I didn't even look to see what he drives.

In any case, my post is still helpful to ZL1 owners who need the part #.
#3257 | K&N 57-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #18
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
My bad... we are in the ZL1 section, so I didn't even look to see what he drives.

In any case, my post is still helpful to ZL1 owners who need the part #.

You are all good... It's no longer just a ZL1 forum anymore, it gets trolled quite frequently..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote