Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
bruceffect

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE, 1982 911SC
My new '15 1LE 2SS/RS NPP Recaros, First track day and first mods

Bought a Summit White 1LE with only 19k miles about 6 weeks ago in Visalia, CA and drove it back to Boulder, CO. Saw some snow in the mountains, but was able to make it through. Speed limit across Utah is 80 the whole way, so made some good time there.

After getting the car back home, I put in RS683 brake fluid and took it to an open lapping day out at High Plains Raceway. Everything else was stock. The car performed really nicely. The only big thing I noticed was the oil temp was hitting 270, which is a little hotter than I would like. I did a few 20 minute sessions and had a blast. The brakes were fine, though not as aggressive a pad as I'm used to, but I didn't get any fade at all.

I spent the past couple days working on the car installing a few mods. The first order of business was the mishimoto oil cooler and Z28 brake ducts. I also put on a Cold Air Inductions intake and the vararam wedge and pulled the NPP fuse. Butt dyno says these were good mods. While the bumper was off, I also drilled a couple holes and installed the ZL1 addons tow hook. Nice since I can use the License plate holder as well which is required here.

I've also got some new rotors and RS29 Pagid Yellow pads to install before the next trip to the track which will be this Friday or next.

My other track toy is a 1982 911SC, and prior to that I spent several years racing a Spec Miata and an e30 M3, both of which I classified as driving 12/10ths.

I'm pretty psyched to get the 1LE back to the track and have some more fun.

Next mod will most likely be a brey krause harness bar and some 5 points, although I felt just fine in the Recaros and 3 point belt on my first track day, although I wasn't pushing the car super hard.

I'll post some pics from my phone shortly.
bruceffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
bruceffect

Pics

Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
FYI, the oil temp in both digital form and analog (if you have the gauge pack in the center of the dash) are synthetic. They are a calculated value based on rpms over time and I'm sure a few other parameters. A lot of cars are doing this now, including modern M cars. My BMWCCA track-instructing friend is highly confused by this move, but everyone's going towards it.

We've had people on these forms install secondary oil coolers and see no change in temp behavior, only to find out after tapping and installing an actual sensor and gauge, that temps are fine.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
bruceffect

Thanks for the info! I'm also a BMWCCA track instructor, and this is highly confusing to me as well. ; )

Very interesting way to calculate oil temps?!?! Weird. I know on my 911 where I have an actual oil temp gauge that the oil cooler I added dropped my oil temps from 275 ish down to a more reasonable 230 ish.

Is the water temp in the cluster an actual temp? I guess I can see if there's a difference there next day at the track.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceffect View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm also a BMWCCA track instructor, and this is highly confusing to me as well. ; )

Very interesting way to calculate oil temps?!?! Weird. I know on my 911 where I have an actual oil temp gauge that the oil cooler I added dropped my oil temps from 275 ish down to a more reasonable 230 ish.

Is the water temp in the cluster an actual temp? I guess I can see if there's a difference there next day at the track.
Yes. If it wasn't, and you had a fluid leak, you'd overheat and kill the motor which would not reflect the coolant leak.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
bruceffect

True enough. Thanks. Although, ... they could choose to detect a leak/failure with a pressure sensor instead. Given how they're calculating oil temps, nothing is out the window. ; ) On the BMW's I used to work on all the coolant temp gauges defaulted to the center of the gauge which covered like a 50 degree range. They would basically just peg the gauge when something went wrong.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Congrats! Dont freak over 270 oil temps man these are not german engines, 310F is limp mode on most GM v8s 270 is perfectly fine, just try a 50 weight oil as per owners manual. I run 5w-50 amsoil but mobil has it now too. I have 30k on my 1LE and my reports are same as when new, tracked since break in at 1000 miles. Sweet car! FYI I run a oil plug with a thermocouple in it and 270F is where I am at, sometimes 290F, without a condenser in front. I cut a hole in my hood too and put the 14 vent in, that did the biggest trick believe it or not to come from 300+ temps down to these. So make sure your water tray is removed from hood when you track. Congrats again!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
bruceffect

Thanks man! I'm definitely loving the car, and it's a beast on the track, and the cloverleafs late at night. ; ) Appreciate the tips.

I have pulled the water tray out of the hood, and I'll go to 5w50 on my next oil change. I guess since it's already installed, the oil cooler is insurance against limp mode for those 95 degree track days.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Nice car and congratulations!

I put an aftermarket oil cooler on mine and deleted the stock oil/ coolant pos. I used a GM block plug for the coolant large hole and a engine oil sandwich plate that had dual sensor threaded sections. I used a dual reading oil temp gauge and set the gauge shows red reading for hot oil and blue reading for returning cooled oil. I’m very happy with the upgrade. Oil temp differences are usually 15-20 degrees different in stop go traffic. Oil temps are usually 25-50 on highway or long roads with no stop go traffic. On Tracks I usually see 15-30 depending on what I’m doing. Temps never go beyond 220 on a hot track day. The oem gauges always show way higher so I rely on the aftermarket gauge readings. I also added a aluminum heat shield with inner side fiberglass to the sandwich plate on it to separate the heat from the headers keeping it shielded from the excessive heat. Works perfectly.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Mgizzle

Oh I forgot, in the front wheel well, remove those vertical splash shields to engine bay if you want more cooling too, unless your in rain dirt and winters really no use for em. What pressures did you start out at? 28psi cold at start works great if your stock.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Mgizzle, got a pic of those vertical splash shields removed? I’m running ZL1’s and want to see if I can ‘vent’ them...

Sorry for the thread jack.

Bruceffect, nice 1LE!

-Don
hammdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
Mgizzle

Item 14 in picture, you can see the key hole for the tie rod in front, its a little close out splash shield, helps vent underhood and lower pressure when removed. Plus I always look for stuff to toss mass of the car lol
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 AM   #13
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
I'm in Aurora, can't wait to take mine it to High Plains. August, I should have done time to. Can't wait
Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
bruceffect

There are a couple open days in August. I can't make the one on the 9th, but I'm hoping to make the one on the 23rd. If you've never been, I'm happy to show you the way around.