Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
CA air emissions?

California has some of the strictest laws about auto emissions. I wanted to know if you order your car from an out of state dealer, would the required smog equipment not be on the car? Would you not pass smog testing in the future? When I was at my dealer ordering (CA), she had to select CA Emissions on the work bench. Does this prevent folks form CA from getting their car out of state?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
scotchsride09
It's STARSCREAM!!!

Drives: 2003 Nissan Frontier S/C DR
Nope; I ordered mine from out of state and Scotty was able to select CA emissions for my car also.

Right now it's an '03 Nissan Frontier Supercharged Desert Runner I call Starscream.

On order is a 1SS/ RS IBM with Black Rally Stripes, Beige Interior, manual transmission and a sunroof! Oh, and a stereo upgrade too! Ordered from CamaroScotty in WI. How will I get my baby home?
scotchsride09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchsride09 View Post
Nope; I ordered mine from out of state and Scotty was able to select CA emissions for my car also.
What if you buy one off the lot, would that be ok for CA emissions?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova65 View Post
What if you buy one off the lot, would that be ok for CA emissions?
More than likely. Most new cars will pass their smog tests. The only thing I would worry about not passing it would be older cars that were built before the whole environmental stuff started popping up.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
most stock cars should pass any states emissions test. But for california they might have to put some more restrictive CATS on them, i dont know
Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
More than likely. Most new cars will pass their smog tests. The only thing I would worry about not passing it would be older cars that were built before the whole environmental stuff started popping up.
'74.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
most stock cars should pass any states emissions test. But for california they might have to put some more restrictive CATS on them, i dont know
I seriously doubt that, otherwise they would have a CA version of the LS3 in the SAE Certification database.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'b bought an out-of-state car here in Cali' before and never had a problem. It wasn't an OBD-II car though. It was my '95 LT1. I know Cali' cars had dual cats' that year (which became standard in '96 on all LT1s) but mine was a single cat' and it even showed Federal emissions standards on the label.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
'74.
that long ago? interesting, would have guessed late 80's.... but then, thats when i was born, so yeah Shows how much I know!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Almost ALL production cars meet California Emissions Standards. You can check this by reading the emissions sticker on any car/motorcyle. It will say "meets California Emissions..."

Meeting Cali emissions requirement does not apply if you bring a used car in from out of state that has more than 7000 miles on it already. BUT, it still has to pass CA smog testing! If you bring in a used car from out of state but it has less than 7k miles on the odometer, CA treats it like a NEW car and they will look for the sticker that says "meets California Emissions...". Don't be confused with the "Federal Emissions" stuff. A new car has to meet Feds standards PLUS the CA emissions standards! CA is stricter than the Federal standard which is why there is a verbage on the label that says "meets California Emissions..." in addition to "meets Fed Standards".

Again, almost ALL late model production cars meet CA standards. But do check the emissions sticker to be sure.

PJ
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Almost ALL production cars meet California Emissions Standards. You can check this by reading the emissions sticker on any car/motorcyle. It will say "meets California Emissions..."

Meeting Cali emissions requirement does not apply if you bring a used car in from out of state that has more than 7000 miles on it already. BUT, it still has to pass CA smog testing! If you bring in a used car from out of state but it has less than 7k miles on the odometer, CA treats it like a NEW car and they will look for the sticker that says "meets California Emissions...". Don't be confused with the "Federal Emissions" stuff. A new car has to meet Feds standards PLUS the CA emissions standards! CA is stricter than the Federal standard which is why there is a verbage on the label that says "meets California Emissions..." in addition to "meets Fed Standards".

Again, almost ALL late model production cars meet CA standards. But do check the emissions sticker to be sure.

PJ
The info above is absolutely true.
My 2002 RS was purchased brand new from a dealer in Pennsylvania in January of 2003.
Even though the car was brand new, I still had to get the car smog tested before I could register it in California.
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote