#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #57
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Again it isn't about IF the car will sell. Sure there are lots of people who will buy it. The question is IF it will sell WELL enough to justify it's existence. Sure people paid for the Demon and even paid markups. But how many people are going to do that for a Camaro? The Z28 carried a high price tag and it did not do well in sales at all. Is GM ready to try that again?
They built a track car.. I get the track car thing.. unfortunately the demand Isint there like a high HP straight line car
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #58
Eata34

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I asked my dad about this. His friend from high school works for GM, as a Manager, I think? But he said its not what you think. My dad told me he only said two words to him. "Stay tuned"
Eata34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #59
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Again it isn't about IF the car will sell. Sure there are lots of people who will buy it. The question is IF it will sell WELL enough to justify it's existence. Sure people paid for the Demon and even paid markups. But how many people are going to do that for a Camaro? The Z28 carried a high price tag and it did not do well in sales at all. Is GM ready to try that again?
Demon is a Drag Car, that is why it sold at a premium. The Z28 was a extra priced circle track car which couldn't really be called practical for many at it's price.
Chevy needs a competitive in a straight line Camaro. The car is not selling on par with the Ford and Mopar for a reason.
The Z28 is rather redundant at this point when buyers have the Corvette or the ZL1 variants to choose from.

Last edited by 396ssrat; 09-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #60
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
They built a track car.. I get the track car thing.. unfortunately the demand Isint there like a high HP straight line car
Basically. My other hobby is home audio. If I had to think of an analogy related to audio equipment, I would say it's like have a set of speakers (speaker A) that were engineered to be as acoustically accurate as possible to the original source, tonally balanced, clean and clear. They may not be able to play as loudly as some other speakers, but the goal of speaker A was to be as crystal clear, and as accurate as possible. Now take speaker B. Designed to play incredibly loud with "booming" or "thumping" bass. Which speaker do you think would appeal to the general masses the most? .....exactly.....

The Hellcat is like Speaker B. Not exactly sophisticated, but tons of fun and gobs of power. The ZL1 is more like Speaker A. More sophisticated and well rounded.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #61
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Basically. My other hobby is home audio. If I had to think of an analogy related to audio equipment, I would say it's like have a set of speakers (speaker A) that were engineered to be as acoustically accurate as possible to the original source, tonally balanced, clean and clear. They may not be able to play as loudly as some other speakers, but the goal of speaker A was to be as crystal clear, and as accurate as possible. Now take speaker B. Designed to play incredibly loud with "booming" or "thumping" bass. Which speaker do you think would appeal to the general masses the most? .....exactly.....

The Hellcat is like Speaker B. Not exactly sophisticated, but tons of fun and gobs of power. The ZL1 is more like Speaker A. More sophisticated and well rounded.
It's basically "name your poison".

To me "more sophisticated and fine tuned" is a well sorted drag car, not the other way around. pun intended.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #62
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I would be somewhat surprised if they put the LT5 in the 6th gen at this point. The msrp would be well above the ZL1 1LE and how well would it really sell? If they did, the Camaro line would be top heavy with hi-po models that are $$$. You would think they would refocus their efforts on increasing sales, but then again with the Vette going Mid engine, maybe that's their intention.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #63
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
A 755hp Camaro may also chill C8 Corvette sales... . C8 is rumored to start with much less than 700hp.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #64
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Not sure sophisticated and Camaro can be used in the same sentence unfortunately.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #65
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Not sure sophisticated and Camaro can be used in the same sentence unfortunately.
Okay, relatively sophisticated. The chassis is fantastic and is a very well rounded performance car.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #66
396ssrat

Quote:
Current ability of the top of the line Camaro is definitely a capable contender. It is designed to handle which it does quite well but it is not intended for straight line acceleration. It does ok for the average driver but Nanny gets in the way out of the gate for one and that would irritate the crap out of me. I can control launch rate and timing on my Chevelle
which is a major plus with a small tire. Key here is that "I" control what it does, not some guy in Detroit who is counting beans. 650hp& lbft is plenty enough to get the car deep into the 10's if the car can agree but it needs a sticky tire as well.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #67
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
getting out my big bucket-o-popcorn for 2021ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eata34 View Post
My dad told me he only said two words to him. "Stay tuned"
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #68
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig View Post
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:02 AM   #69
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
As soon as the mid-engine Corvette comes out, the Camaro will get the LT5. Yes you heard it here first. Just my 2 cents
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #70
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
There are only 2 things that will result in an LT5 Camaro and they are related.

First is profitability. GM won't do it and lose money.

Second is the GT500. If GM loses Camaro sales to the this car they may need to put the LT5 in the Camaro to "maintain" profitability. The GT500 could have a halo effect GM would have to counter.

GM will not chase Fiat. There is no need to do so. A straight line drag car is not in the cards other than the COPO.