Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 AM   #43
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Exactly. No more cd's for me. Been wanting flash drives for a long time now.

That's what I thought.
well personally i like having the music on my iphone since i then dont have to have separate drives for my music
Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #44
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
well i guess i will have to buy a ipod or zune
In case you were looking for an mp3 player to have - here's another comparison page. I like having an mp3 player because I store movies on them & watch them between breaks at college, etc...

http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

I can understand the benefit of just using the USB port - I've seen decks with SD card slots too - they look great & will eventually be used to phase out CD players..
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #45
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
isnt there going to be a ipod connect option? so it interfaces into the car?
there is a usb connection on the other side of that 30 pin ipod connector
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #46
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
isnt there going to be a ipod connect option? so it interfaces into the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
there is a usb connection on the other side of that 30 pin ipod connector
I would honestly be VERY surprised if the head unit interfaced with the IPOD. It has its own encoding (that expensive to buy, thats why ipod docks cost outrageous money). Also 90% of the time the headunit will either recognize regular file systems or apples... but not both.

I hope it does both, but I'm not counting on the ipod interface.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #47
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
get a USB drive (you can get a large capacity like 2gb) for $15.00. Then you take your cd's and copy the music from your cd's to the USB drive. Just for reference 1gb will hold an average of 240 songs (thus 2gb will hold 480 songs).

SO for $15ish bucks you can carry 480 songs in your car without having to worry about swapping cd's or getting your car broken into and having them stolen.

PS - with a cd and rough roads you can possibly get skipping and the cd in some cases wont even play.. with USB its solid state meaning that no matter how hard you drive or what the conditions, it will play without skipping.

If you have a lot a music and don't want go thru with all the transfering, an external hard drive would work.... I think

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #48
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
If you have a lot a music and don't want go thru with all the transfering, an external hard drive would work.... I think
it depends on the power requirements of the hard drive. Some get their power from the usb port.. but if the usb port inst of the/powered type then it wont work (you will need external power).
Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #49
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
If its the PAL (personal audio link) that is in their other cars it will work with the ipod.

Corvette, as well as 56 other models under the GM corporate umbrella will soon have a factory device called the "Personal Audio Link" that allows owners to hook up their iPods and play them through their factory audio systems. Rollout of the PAL will begin in October this year and by then of 2007, most GM vehicles should be equipped with the device.

The Personal Audio Link uses existing radio software and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio bank. XM does not have to be activated for the system to work. Similar to FM Modulated systems, the XM integration offers improved sound and contents (artist, title, genre) are viewable on the radio's display. The radio controls on the Corvette's steering wheel will allow drivers to adjust the system volume.

Personal Audio Link Key Features – At a Glance

Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system
Charges iPod when ignition is on
Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
Select "shuffle" function to mix music
Sort music using "alphabetical jump" from A-Z list
Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
Control volume from steering wheel controls
Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology
The Personal Audio Link will be sold through dealerships for under $160.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #50
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Well there is the answer! Im glad they havent left out the herd when it comes to MP3 players..
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
it depends on the power requirements of the hard drive. Some get their power from the usb port.. but if the usb port inst of the/powered type then it wont work (you will need external power).
There's a 12v power outlet in there, though.(that's what I assume the big round thing is...) So it could work that way. This is how I plan on storing music in the Camaro, btw...an 80GB HDD. Forget MyGig.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #52
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
First of all, aren't all USB ports powered these days? Isn't that how the USB device works? Most small in size drives work that way now. I have a 320G external HDD, it gets it's power from the port. I don't see GM putting a port where the device you want to use needs external power as well. This is a 2010 car, not 2001.

Also, I don't care what any of you say, this shit beats the hell out of the one speaker AM only radio we had in the 60's and 70's.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #53
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Yes USB ports are powered, but at 5 volts. That is why you will need to use a 2.5" laptop drive which can run on 5 volts. The 3.5" hard drives take 12 volts.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #54
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
In preparation, you should take advantage of Woot's deal today!

www.woot.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #55
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
If its the PAL (personal audio link) that is in their other cars it will work with the ipod.

Corvette, as well as 56 other models under the GM corporate umbrella will soon have a factory device called the "Personal Audio Link" that allows owners to hook up their iPods and play them through their factory audio systems. Rollout of the PAL will begin in October this year and by then of 2007, most GM vehicles should be equipped with the device.

The Personal Audio Link uses existing radio software and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio bank. XM does not have to be activated for the system to work. Similar to FM Modulated systems, the XM integration offers improved sound and contents (artist, title, genre) are viewable on the radio's display. The radio controls on the Corvette's steering wheel will allow drivers to adjust the system volume.

Personal Audio Link Key Features – At a Glance

Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system
Charges iPod when ignition is on
Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
Select "shuffle" function to mix music
Sort music using "alphabetical jump" from A-Z list
Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
Control volume from steering wheel controls
Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology
The Personal Audio Link will be sold through dealerships for under $160.
How do you know that? This is great if it is true, but I will send you Suburbans if you are wrong.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #56
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
How do you know that? This is great if it is true, but I will send you Suburbans if you are wrong.
The best info i can find on this is from leftlane....

Link

Quote:
08/03/2006, 8:50 AM
Ford News
Apple announces partnership with Ford, GM, Mazda

Apple today announced it has teamed up with Ford, General Motors and Mazda to deliver seamless iPod integration across the majority of their brands and models, making it easy for iPod users to listen to and control their iPod through their car’s stereo system. So-called “integration” is superior to a regular line-in or FM transmitter because it allows the driver to use the stereo controls on the steering wheel or dash to control the iPod (changing tracks, and so on). With the addition of these models, more than 70 percent of 2007-model U.S. automobiles will offer iPod integration. Notably, GM will make the technology available on all of its 56 vehicles.

“We’re delighted that Ford, General Motors and Mazda will support iPod connectivity in nearly all of their new models,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “Now more than 70 percent of 2007-model U.S. automobiles will offer iPod integration, with General Motors alone making it available on all 56 of its models, representing millions of cars and trucks.”

Ford and General Motors will feature iPod integration in the majority of their 2007 models in the U.S. beginning later this year, while Mazda’s entire global 2007 lineup of cars and SUVs will offer iPod connectivity. iPod offerings for Ford, General Motors and Mazda provide drivers with outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod, while conveniently storing the iPod in the glove compartment. Seamless iPod integration also allows drivers to use their car’s multifunction controls to select their music using artist, album, playlist or shuffle songs, as well as to easily skip between tracks and playlists.

GM’s “Personal Audio Link” in detail

GM has also released specific details on its integration package. The device, called “Personal Audio Link,” will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation. It will be introduced in October on 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet HHRs, already one of the industry’s most personalized vehicles, with more GM vehicles scheduled to be added by the end of this year. Designed specifically for the iPod, GM expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models – mostly by the end of 2007 – meaning GM will offer the widest range of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry.

“We understand that people want to use their iPod whenever and wherever they want,” said Mike Jackson, GM North America vice president, Marketing & Advertising. “We’re thrilled to offer an awesome, seamless digital music experience to our customers across our entire portfolio of great cars and trucks.”

Vehicle personalization is embedded in today’s vehicle purchase and ownership experience. Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories, believes that iPod and GM vehicle personalization are a perfect fit.

“With our simple, affordable system, our customers can plug their iPod into their vehicle audio system and get what they want – clear, quality sound as well as access to playlists and artists’ names,” said Philippart. “Because the Personal Audio Link was designed specifically for GM vehicles, the level of integration our system offers is unmatched in the market.”

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, about the size of a deck of cards and not visible to the customer once installed, uses existing radio software, and is integrated through the radio’s digital XM Satellite Radio band. (XM does not need to be activated for the system to work.) This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song artist, title and genre on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. In addition, Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

“We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable,” said Philippart. “I think this system will be music to our customers’ ears.”

* Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system
* Charges iPod when ignition is on
* Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
* Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
* Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
* Select “shuffle” function to mix music
* Sort music using “alphabetical jump” from A-Z list
* Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
* Control volume from steering wheel controls
* Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
* Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology

Ford’s approach

For the 2007-model year, built-in auxiliary audio-input jacks will be offered on the Ford Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Mustang, Fusion, Sport Trac, Ranger, F-150, Mercury Milan, Mountaineer, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Navigator and Lincoln Mark LT. The jacks allow customers to bring any iPod or other MP3 player with a standard 3.5 millimeter audio output into their vehicle and play it through the audio system.

In addition, early next year, Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers throughout the U.S. will begin offering Ford’s TripTunes Advanced audio system – an iPod integration feature that provides drivers with top sound quality and recharging at the same time. TripTunes Advanced allows the driver to store the iPod in the vehicle’s glove box and select music using the steering wheel or radio controls – including shuffling songs and skipping between tracks and playlists.

“The iPod has been a huge hit, and we at Ford wanted to develop a way for people to bring the device into their Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle without having to fuss with the device while driving,” said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford’s product and business development for electronics. “What we’ve accomplished with the integration of the iPod into our vehicles is just one piece of a much broader effort at Ford Motor Company to respond to customer trends more quickly.”

Mazda

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is JPY 23,100 (including installation fee and consumption tax) in Japan.

* Connected by a special adaptor to the car audio system, music can be played without compromising the iPod’s clear sound quality.
* Owners can switch to the music menu, play songs at random and control the volume with the switches on the car’s original, factory-installed Mazda audio system.
* If the steering wheel has audio control switches, the driver can control the volume and select tunes without taking his or her hands off the wheel.
* Once connected, the iPod is stowed securely in the glove compartment where it is charged.
* Operation must be done through the audio system, not using the iPod. Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system.
* The adapter is compatible with the iPod models with a Dock connector including the third-generation iPod or later, iPod mini and iPod nano. It is not compatible with iPod shuffle.