Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
HP Tuner and Tuning School........

Would love to get some input from everyone. I'm getting the package 3 from Livernois and the shop that I'm getting to install it suggested I buy the HP Tuner software. I was in agreement cause I would like to learn how to tune (just my car, not professionally). The mechanic (Tim) is a great guy and said I can even come to the garage when they tune it, and he will show me how to use the HP Tuner program. My question though is I also saw a web site from The Tuning School, and they have an at-home-course. Was wondering if anyone has ever taken the course and if it's worth it? Also would anyone in their opinion be comfortable tuning their own car after the at-home-course????? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
Would love to get some input from everyone. I'm getting the package 3 from Livernois and the shop that I'm getting to install it suggested I buy the HP Tuner software. I was in agreement cause I would like to learn how to tune (just my car, not professionally). The mechanic (Tim) is a great guy and said I can even come to the garage when they tune it, and he will show me how to use the HP Tuner program. My question though is I also saw a web site from The Tuning School, and they have an at-home-course. Was wondering if anyone has ever taken the course and if it's worth it? Also would anyone in their opinion be comfortable tuning their own car after the at-home-course????? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!!
I would like to know the same. Jannety Racing sells the SCT 3400 tuner with there performance package that is pre programmed with their tune? Has anyone ever gone this route vs. having their shop tune the car?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette C7 GTO performance Firebird Truck tuner in Tampa Orlando

Ill be up at the school this week helping if anyone is going
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I have one their old courses and it's outdated by todays tuning practices. I don't know how specific the new course covers the E67 ECM used in the ZL1 and CTS-V, but it's going to take a whole of experience and solid knowledge of EFI theory to tune proficiently and safely. I recommend reading some tuning books and looking at some of how to DVD's out there first to get a basic understanding before jumping in.

Tuning is a steep learning curve and even steeper with a boosted car that used a pretty complex ECM/TCM by modern standards. After reading up, I would take the shop up on their offer to show you how and why to tune along with understanding and interpreting datalogs. That type of hands on training is invaluable.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote