Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Does Anyone Drink Energy Drinks Or Used To?

The highly caffeinated Monster Energy Drink is being linked to five deaths and one non-fatal heart attack, according to reports that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is investigating.
The reports claim that people had adverse reactions after they consumed Monster Energy Drink, which comes in 24-ounce cans and contain 240 milligrams of caffeine, or seven times the amount of the caffeine in a 12-ounce cola.

Although the FDA is investigating the allegations, which date back to 2004, the agency said the reports don't necessarily prove that the drinks caused the deaths or injuries.
"As with any reports of a death or injury the agency receives, we take them very seriously and investigate diligently," Shelly Burgess said in a statement.

Monster Beverage Corp., which makes the energy drinks, did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment on Monday, but the company has denied that its products caused any deaths. The Corona, Calif.-based company said last week that "Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks."
Monster's shares plunged $7.59, or 14.2 percent, to close at $45.73 in trading on Monday.

News of the FDA's investigation follows a filing last week of a wrongful death suit in Riverside, Calif., by the parents of a 14-year-old Hagerstown girl who died after drinking two, 24-ounce Monster Beverage Corp. drinks in 24 hours.
An autopsy concluded that Anais Fournier died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. The medical examiner also found that she had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels.
Fournier's parents Wendy Crossland and Richard Fournier claim Monster failed to warn about the risks of drinking its products.

The company touts Monster Energy Drink on its website as a "killer energy brew" and "the meanest energy supplement on the planet." The cans bear labels stating that the drinks are not recommended for children and people who are sensitive to caffeine.
Energy drinks are a tiny part of the carbonated soft drink market, representing about 3 percent of sales volume, according to a recent report by industry tracker Beverage Digest. Last year, sales volume for energy drinks rose by nearly 17 percent.
The increased sales have brought heightened scrutiny from state and federal authorities.
In August, New York state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued subpoenas to energy drink makers, including Monster, as part of the state's investigation of the industry. In September, Senators Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., asked the FDA to take another look at the effect that caffeine and other ingredients in energy drinks have on children and adolescents.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
Same could happen from drinking a double espresso from Starbucks. No surprise here, more dumb people doing dumb things and blaming their ignorance on companies' products.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySS View Post
Same could happen from drinking a double espresso from Starbucks. No surprise here, more dumb people doing dumb things and blaming their ignorance on companies' products.
Now starbucks is making it where you can use their products right at home..where it's much convienent and easier.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Yup.
Breakfast of champions

Sent from my Galaxy Note
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
CRAZE is my drink of choice
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
mudchick_alicia

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's scary...I used to drink the Monster Lemonade Tea but haven't in a long time. I'll just stick to my water, tea and my coffee.....I will not give up my coffee and you can't make me!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I used to drink a lot of Red Bull and it gave me high blood pressure.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Some people need to learn this phrase:

"Everything in moderation."

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I don't get to party as much as I used to, but if I went out hard I'd drink a million Jagerbombs haha. Never really drink the stuff on its own.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I used to drink a lot of Red Bull and it gave me high blood pressure.
I thought red bull gives you wings?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
I used to have an addiction to Monster. At least 2 or 3 cans a day. Used to go through a case of Monster from Costco every week. I have a very high tolerance for stimulants from the supplements I used to use at the gym. I quit taking caffeine when it got to the point that I was taking 12 200mg tablets just to feel a slight buz.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
I used to have an addiction to Monster. At least 2 or 3 cans a day. Used to go through a case of Monster from Costco every week. I have a very high tolerance for stimulants from the supplements I used to use at the gym. I quit taking caffeine when it got to the point that I was taking 12 200mg tablets just to feel a slight buz.
Sounds like you had quite the addiction. How long did this go on for?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
CamaroRBT
Who's Laughing Now?

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS LS3 Summit White
I drink a full squeeze bottle of MIO Energy a day..... is that bad? Got me worried
CamaroRBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
I gave up caffeine years ago for health reasons and once I was better I never had any anyways. Stuff is bad for you in the amounts that are contained in these drinks.