Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
gwoman

Drives: 2011 SS 'vert & 2015 SS coupe
Angry Camaro and diminished value

My Camaro 2015 2SS commemorative edition coupe was in an accident (not my fault) the body shop is recommending the door be replaced because of the amount of damage. Has anyone claimed diminished value successfully? Only 3721 miles at the time of the accident, car was flawless until then! I'm just sick that my beautiful car is no longer showroom perfect!!!
gwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
First, I'm sorry to hear about your car being damaged but if you take it to a responsible body shop they should be able to fix it and no one will know the difference... I have hit a deer (1700.00 repair bill) and had some d-ass drop something against my car denting the rear quarter panel (700.00 repair bill)... If I didn't tell anyone about it you would not even know my car had been damaged so keep the faith and ask around, I'm sure there are plenty of good reputable shops in your area who can fix it right!!!
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrac0103 View Post
First, I'm sorry to hear about your car being damaged but if you take it to a responsible body shop they should be able to fix it and no one will know the difference... I have hit a deer (1700.00 repair bill) and had some d-ass drop something against my car denting the rear quarter panel (700.00 repair bill)... If I didn't tell anyone about it you would not even know my car had been damaged so keep the faith and ask around, I'm sure there are plenty of good reputable shops in your area who can fix it right!!!
Insurance laws vary from state to state. Where do you live?
Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
gwoman

Colorado
Old 04-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Guess it depends on what you consider successful, I got it after getting hit by a red light runner and causing $14k in damage I got a check for $1100.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
gwoman

Gosh, $1100 for 14k damage, hmmm. What was the condition of your Camaro at the time of the accident, age, miles etc? That seem like a lot of damage! Is the red coupe the fixed Camaro? She looks beautiful !
Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Yes I had much success with diminished value. Received an extra 2200$ as resale was hurt due to what you exactly stated in your 1st post-This was with a past vehicle I owned-2004 Nissan Titan

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoman View Post
Colorado
Unfortunately, Colorado has no Consumer Rights as per Auto Insurance posted or readily available on-line. It also seems that Colorado has few regulations in place to protect customers from greedy insurance companies, and have recently (09?) removed even more protections from consumers.

Looks like your only option is to call their insurance help line:

Denver: 303-894-7490
Toll Free in Colorado: 1-800-930-3745

You do have the right to choose the facility you want to use for appraisal and repair.

What little I could find:

http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/serv...repairlaws.pdf

Page 5 concerns Colorado.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
SlingShot

Quote:
Gosh, $1100 for 14k damage, hmmm. What was the condition of your Camaro at the time of the accident, age, miles etc? That seem like a lot of damage! Is the red coupe the fixed Camaro? She looks beautiful !

It was the right front that got hit. New fender, front fascia, spliter, a few steering items, paint (IOM) new exposed CF insert, tire, wheel ...

Car was three years old with 18k miles.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
gwoman

Thanks for the information, Camaro is already at a premiere auto body shop of my choice. My car WAS perfect prior to the accident with 3721 miles, thus my concern for diminished value. Many consumers are unaware diminished value can be claimed when the accident is not your fault. I believe it all comes down to asserting yourself with the insurer and not backing down!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
SlingShot

Quote:
Thanks for the information, Camaro is already at a premiere auto body shop of my choice. My car WAS perfect prior to the accident with 3721 miles, thus my concern for diminished value. Many consumers are unaware diminished value can be claimed when the accident is not your fault. I believe it all comes down to asserting yourself with the insurer and not backing down!
I'm just happy it was the Camaro and not my sedan. It only took 5 days to repair it. The sedan would have taken a couple months, with most of that time just getting body panels from down under.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
gwoman

Wow, 5 days!! I'm looking at 3 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I'm just happy it was the Camaro and not my sedan. It only took 5 days to repair it. The sedan would have taken a couple months, with most of that time just getting body panels from down under.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
IMHO, you should call one of those numbers and get educated on what your rights are before approaching your (or at fault party) insurance company.

Never go into a battle unarmed.

OK, maybe not a battle. But it always helps to know the difference between what they CAN cover and what they HAVE to cover before making demands.

JMHO
Old 04-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Just went through the same thing a month ago, 4000 miles on the car... Haven't filed a claim yet but I'm thinking I need to get the trade in value of the car with and without the accident to determine the diminished value.

I have heard all kinds of stories about the insurance company balking at these claims, or not offering a settlement unless you actually sell the car, etc...
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote