Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #113
Dusk_2SS

Drives: 2013 Dusk Special Edition 2SS/RS
So ordered & received a fob with flip blank key The dealer already separated the factory key & fob. Will I still be able to use method 1 to add the flip key once it's cut?
Old 04-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #114
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_2SS View Post
So ordered & received a fob with flip blank key The dealer already separated the factory key & fob. Will I still be able to use method 1 to add the flip key once it's cut?

As long as you have a working key.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #115
Dusk_2SS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
As long as you have a working key.
Yes sir you were correct. Got the fob/blank from Keyless-Remotes.com ($23.49). Had Guardian Security cut it for $40.00. Did the 1st program method
and everything went perfect. No hiccups, even remote starts works.

Funny thing the factory key looks way different on the cut than my new key. The locksmith saw the issue and went with an educated guess of what it should look like. Boy was I nervous driving home so I could try it. He told me I would have to pay another $40 plus the metal blank if it did not work. I said I trust you and he was right!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #116
cjgarza91

Drives: chevy camaro LT 2011
When I bought the car it was at a used car dealership, they gave me 1 key, black and silver. I could only lock my doors manually and start car of course.when I go to unlock it (manually) the alarm goes off. So I have to jump in and put the key in ignition and turn it. So I went to chevy and bought a key fob . *it was just transponder remote.. the parts guy took my working key and cut another all silver key. And called it.. my "Dummy key" so now I have a remote with no blade, a dummy key and a working key with no fob but they are both laser cut. Is it possible to program just remote ,?
cjgarza91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #117
Dusk_2SS

I would try placing the new key and fob on a keyring together. Then use method one. I don't think the system knows the key is seperated, it just has to be close. The only unknown is if it matters if you don't have a working fob to start with will it make a difference? Since the old key does start the car, my guess is should not matter but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #118
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgarza91 View Post
When I bought the car it was at a used car dealership, they gave me 1 key, black and silver. I could only lock my doors manually and start car of course.when I go to unlock it (manually) the alarm goes off. So I have to jump in and put the key in ignition and turn it. So I went to chevy and bought a key fob . *it was just transponder remote.. the parts guy took my working key and cut another all silver key. And called it.. my "Dummy key" so now I have a remote with no blade, a dummy key and a working key with no fob but they are both laser cut. Is it possible to program just remote ,?
YES if you don't already have a working remote you can buy the original flip key and have the blade cut and program the remote yourself. It is possible that Dusk_2SS is correct as well because a safety recall later was made by GM to change the flip keys to a 2 piece set-up like yours due to people accidentally bumping their knee into the key while driving causing the ignition to shut off but most people have kept their flipkeys as a personal preference. The instructions on this page will work for a flipkey definitely and "maybe" yours as well.
http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/repla...amaro-key-fob/
There are instructions for new key or to make a second key. Buy a couple of the flip keys and follow the instructions for the first new key and then the second key can be programmed using the copying instructions. You can easily replace the 2 piece setup you have now, your only cost should be the purchase of the new flip keys and getting the blades cut.This is good information to know as well.

Instructions saved below just in case link gets deleted
Attached Images

Last edited by davesnever; 05-06-2021 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Improve instructions
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #119
davesnever

I personally upgraded my tap shifter to the Hurst aluminum model years ago and found out a few years later it can be very dangerous to have anything but the flipkey in the ignition while driving. Even the smallest keyring attached to the flipkey or a 2 piece(recall set-up) has the possibility of getting caught by one of the Hurst aluminum paddles while turning the steering wheel. I had it happen one day going around a corner, believe me, it's pretty scary getting half way around a corner and then have the steering wheel stopped on you by surprise. Hurst never had any warnings about it years ago and not sure if they still sell them but very dangerous. I love my flipkey and still use it today but needless to say there is nothing attached to it anymore!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2021, 01:50 AM   #120
CaliforniaSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
So my trunk button on old fob pushed all the way through and no longer works. Not a big deal but annoying none the less.Bought a new one on ebay. Had the dealer near me cut the new flip key on the new fob. New key will open the door locks, but will not turn once in the ignition. Dealer want around 100 bucks for new fob and programming. But im already out the 20 for the new fob and the 10 to cut the key. What should I do. I plan on going back to the dealer and see if they can do anything but I think im gonna have to bite the bullet and just get the new fob from the dealer
CaliforniaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #121
davesnever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSS View Post
So my trunk button on old fob pushed all the way through and no longer works. Not a big deal but annoying none the less.Bought a new one on ebay. Had the dealer near me cut the new flip key on the new fob. New key will open the door locks, but will not turn once in the ignition. Dealer want around 100 bucks for new fob and programming. But im already out the 20 for the new fob and the 10 to cut the key. What should I do. I plan on going back to the dealer and see if they can do anything but I think im gonna have to bite the bullet and just get the new fob from the dealer
If the key won't turn in the ignition it sounds like they didn't cut it correctly. Maybe the door locks are more forgiving that the ignition cylinder. An unprogrammed key will still turn in the ignition otherwise it would not be able to be programmed. I would try swapping the blade from the old fob into the new fob and program it using the new key method.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:52 AM   #122
Dusk_2SS

The key was cut poorly. Find a better locksmith to copy the original. Going rate around here is $40 per cut. $10 was way too cheap.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #123
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Boy am I lucky my Sunday job allows me to cut my own keys.

I have the new style fob that I am going to cut this weekend if I remember.

No cost to cut key , no cost to program thanks Chevy.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #124
Dusk_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
Boy am I lucky my Sunday job allows me to cut my own keys.

I have the new style fob that I am going to cut this weekend if I remember.

No cost to cut key , no cost to program thanks Chevy.
Fringe benefits of work access, gotta love it. Can't cut keys at mine but I could weld one.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #125
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Well I remembered got the new style flip key.
Attached Images

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #126
Dusk_2SS

That is definitely different, mine looks like the original from 2013.