Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Drives: Shadow
K&N vs Roto-Fab

Only reason Im doing this thread is because I received poor customer service and they didn't want to work with me on getting a replacement or my money back. I have 2011 camaro SS L99 cammed, full exhaust, and intake. At the time I was running with K&N and dynoed at 442. So I decided one day that maybe I should get better product. Dress up the engine bay a lil bit. So I bought a Roto-Fab. Installed it and went right back to the tuner. Believe or not Roto-Fab dynoed at 410. Trust me I swapped off both intakes and K&N was always on top. On my last run I asked the tuner to do one last run with the Roto-Fab. Dynoed at 407 smh. I immediately called back to the company and all they told me is how great of a product it is and something is wrong with your car. I can't believe they said that. I run 12'1 at the track. My car runs great. They didn't want to give me my money back nor switch intakes. So now I have 400 dollar intake sitting in the garage with no purpose. People keep knocking on K&N but in my experience I believe it is right up there with CAI. Just keeping it real.
adrwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Good to see someone thats auctually posting numbers to compare both cai. Your a perfect example of how topics or discussions should be done....track numbers with back to back dyno comparisons. Sorry about your luck....maybe someone on here will take the cai you no longer need off your hands.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Good to see someone thats auctually posting numbers to compare both cai. Your a perfect example of how topics or discussions should be done....track numbers with back to back dyno comparisons. Sorry about your luck....maybe someone on here will take the cai you no longer need off your hands.
I hope so. Ill sell this thing for 150 if i have to. What a waste!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
35whp loss from going to the RotoFab? We just dynoed out a 2015 ZL1 and made 525WHP on a stock ZL1 with a Rotofab and no tune.

While I agree that the power loss is unacceptable a 35whp loss from an intake swap signals something is wrong, what did you dyno with your K&N back on after the intake swap? Also do you have dyno sheets from the 442 pull and 407?
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdin@A2BMotorsport View Post
35whp loss from going to the RotoFab? We just dynoed out a 2015 ZL1 and made 525WHP on a stock ZL1 with a Rotofab and no tune.

While I agree that the power loss is unacceptable a 35whp loss from an intake swap signals something is wrong, what did you dyno with your K&N back on after the intake swap? Also do you have dyno sheets from the 442 pull and 407?
After putting the K&N back on I dynoed at 438. But you know with different conditions and all I can expect that I won't get 442 again. But the Roto-Fab on the other hand was ridiculous. The tuner was astonished! He said it looks and fits perfectly but its just not pushing hp. Man we tore that thing apart and put it back together again and it just wasn't doing anything. Hood open and closed. Idk man maybe you should put a K&N on a zl1 and see what happens.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
we have dyno tested and tune more rotofab units than i could possibly count and they have always shown a good improvement
If you say so but I wouldnt be writing this message if that were true. Getting a tune aint cheap and i wasted alot of money
Old 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
it could be a problem with the filter itself. something wrong with a production
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
it could be a problem with the filter itself. something wrong with a production
Nope I thought of that too! The company sent me a Dry-Filter. But I turned around and bought and oil filter because I believed that was the problem. Same results
Old 10-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
That's weird. I had a K&N cai but I got a roto fab when I got the supercharger so I can't really comment about the specific change in HP between the two cai's.

I had the chrome plastic version of the K&N and the pipe always felt very hot to the touch after driving it. The roto fab however, not too hot at all.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Smh at this post.
Keep dynoing back to back and it'll heat soak plus you don't get the same numbers even on a different day there's a lot that goes with it. There's actual flow charts the K&N has the least amount of flow vs a Roto Fab. Well the ones who know about flow charts will understand this.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
I had a polished K&N air intake a while ago on my car and no complaints. I upgraded to a vararam intake(tune model) and man what a difference. If the z/28 air intake was out at that time I would have gotten that and a air scoop instead of the vararam. And if I ever go lsa supercharger I will for sure get the K&N carbon fiber air intake. K&N gets alot of hate, but they really do make great air intakes and filters.
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdin@A2BMotorsport View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
we have dyno tested and tune more rotofab units than i could possibly count and they have always shown a good improvement
I am with these guys. An 8+% loss on a naturally aspirated engine clearly indicates some other factor is at play. Roto-Fab makes a solid intake that has been proven with before/after and even heads up comparisons for years now.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Smh at this post.
Keep dynoing back to back and it'll heat soak plus you don't get the same numbers even on a different day there's a lot that goes with it. There's actual flow charts the K&N has the least amount of flow vs a Roto Fab. Well the ones who know about flow charts will understand this.
I have an K&N Aircharger (black tube) heat soak should be a big issue. Plus the Roto-Fab has black tube too. In any case if you Roto-fab is so good the hp shouldn't be that far off. AND I HAVE AN AIR SCOOP ADM