Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Recommendations?

Hello guys! I'm new to the modding world. My 2010 SS is my first car I've ever extensively plan to mod. My set up is as of right now CAI, shorty headers, axle back, and 3.73 gears. I have a SCT x4 tuner on the way, and soon after that will be longtubes and a ported throttle body, then way down the line a custom cam. I've always been so concerned with power, and I understand it to a certain extent. But I've never considered modding the suspension and I realize that will only end in disaster. Chances are the car will never be anything other than street driven. But I see a lot of people talking about all the suspension parts they are upgrading and I feel that I should do the same. However, I'm 110% clueless on anything about suspension.

So my question is for you guys, what parts do you recommend I replace or upgrade knowing my future plans for the car? Brands I should go with? The more specific the better In the meantime I will try and educate myself on the components of the suspension so I have some sort of understanding. Thanks in advance for all the help!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
You thinking of ever taking it to a road course? Mid-Ohio and Nelson (by Cleveland) both do HPDE days, for relatively reasonable prices. Just a straight line emphasis, ala Kilkare? Street use and back road driving more of a priority?

You state probably never see anything but street use, but if you've got an itch to scratch, you never know, is why I ask.

At a minimum, some anti wheel hop isn't a horrible thing. Rear sub-frame bushings, rear trailing arms and bushings, alignment, and rear upper control arm bushings, in approximately that order of priority will help eliminate wheel hop under hard launches.

If you're looking to eliminate body roll, and do some road course work, or simply like cornering on some of the back roads around here, then there's a bunch more to consider.

Here are some links I've saved to decent discussions on this subject;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428792
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413753
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432904

Personally, as some HPDE and recreational corner carving are my priorities, I started out with the complete 1LE suspension, and am adding the Z/28 rear upper control arm bushings, some solid sub-frame bushings, radius rod inserts, and once the weather warms up I'll probably do something about the rear trailing arms. I'm likely to go with a thicker rear sway too, come Spring. We'll see.

I re-align to the aggressive street alignment when the warm weather wheels / tires go back on the car.

So far power mods are just a ported throttle body and Z/28 CAI. 3.91 gears are going in next week, which is when the solid sub-frame bushings and the UPCA bushings go in too.

We're rather lucky to have some great suspension knowledgeable folks post on this board. JPSS, BMR, JDP, are all good sources, and have written quite a lot. Pete (JPSS) is largely responsible for "The Book" stickied at the top of the suspension forum.

Anyway, bit of reading on the subject to do, and like anything else, budget and priorities are deciding factors.

Cheers from over in Franklin.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What size wheels and tires will you be running?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I think Rear Cradle Bushings should be replaced on every Camaro!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:39 AM   #5
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilflos View Post
You thinking of ever taking it to a road course? Mid-Ohio and Nelson (by Cleveland) both do HPDE days, for relatively reasonable prices. Just a straight line emphasis, ala Kilkare? Street use and back road driving more of a priority?

You state probably never see anything but street use, but if you've got an itch to scratch, you never know, is why I ask.

At a minimum, some anti wheel hop isn't a horrible thing. Rear sub-frame bushings, rear trailing arms and bushings, alignment, and rear upper control arm bushings, in approximately that order of priority will help eliminate wheel hop under hard launches.

If you're looking to eliminate body roll, and do some road course work, or simply like cornering on some of the back roads around here, then there's a bunch more to consider.

Here are some links I've saved to decent discussions on this subject;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428792
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413753
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432904

Personally, as some HPDE and recreational corner carving are my priorities, I started out with the complete 1LE suspension, and am adding the Z/28 rear upper control arm bushings, some solid sub-frame bushings, radius rod inserts, and once the weather warms up I'll probably do something about the rear trailing arms. I'm likely to go with a thicker rear sway too, come Spring. We'll see.

I re-align to the aggressive street alignment when the warm weather wheels / tires go back on the car.

So far power mods are just a ported throttle body and Z/28 CAI. 3.91 gears are going in next week, which is when the solid sub-frame bushings and the UPCA bushings go in too.

We're rather lucky to have some great suspension knowledgeable folks post on this board. JPSS, BMR, JDP, are all good sources, and have written quite a lot. Pete (JPSS) is largely responsible for "The Book" stickied at the top of the suspension forum.

Anyway, bit of reading on the subject to do, and like anything else, budget and priorities are deciding factors.

Cheers from over in Franklin.
Thanks for a great info! I never plan on going to the track, not really my cup of tea since I'm an inexperienced driver haha. Not to mention, under hard launches my clutch gets stuck to the floor so I try to avoid that when possible lol. And yes sir, we are certainly close! It's nice knowing I have a fellow enthusiast close by. Going to Dayton Cars and Coffee at the Greene this morning? (10/22) If you see this by then and are coming out, I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What size wheels and tires will you be running?
Another subject I don't know too much on It has stock wheels and tires on it as of now. Plenty of tread all the way around so I had yet to give it any thought. Open to suggestions though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I think Rear Cradle Bushings should be replaced on every Camaro!
I hear good things of your products! Send me a pm with a link and I'll bookmark it so I have a place to start looking when that time comes
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Old 10-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
every 2010/2011 camaro needs the FE4 style rear bar. it changes your car from a rolly polly pig into a solid corner carver. this is not a preferance or a suggestion, this is the single best cheap mod a person could make to help an early camaro.
another thing, you dont launch at the road course. its not like that at all. you dont power shift or anything like that. your first few road course events would be like canyon running with no crotch rockets wrecked in front of you and no cops to worry about.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Thank you! Just bookmarked the JDP kit! What is your opinion on this?
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/jdp-mo...s-zl1-jdps1008

Will that conflict with what your recommending or could I get both?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I've pretty much converted to FE4 update and just about all bushings replaced. I'm doing the last set right now... Diff bushings.

Depending on what you want to do, trailing arms, toe rods, I'd do stock fe4 lower control arms, cheaper and will work just fine. I personally like solid subframe bushings. Did the poly inserts, but finally replaced them.

I have a ton of mods on my build thread and you can see everything that was done. If it's out there, I probably did it...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote