Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
A little help from Mustang owners please

I have an uncle working to restore an old Mustang (not sure of the year - from the 60's). He owned one like it when I was little but his daughter wrecked it when she started driving. He has been heart broken ever since. He has put together parts from 2 cars he found & my nephew is helping him restore it. Problem is he only has an automatic tranny & wants a manual. He asked me to see if I could look into how he may be able to find one. Any guidance anyone could give will be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Gonna need some more info. Is the car set up for a manual already or will it need to be converted? Also what is he looking for in a tranny? New? Used? There are tons of places online that sell stuff that he could use. Is he trying to keep it "original"? What engine is he using? Thats a lot I know but see what you can come up with.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Not trying to be rude but why don't ya ask that on a Rustang board???

Gonna get 100x more help
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Gonna need some more info. Is the car set up for a manual already or will it need to be converted? Also what is he looking for in a tranny? New? Used? There are tons of places online that sell stuff that he could use. Is he trying to keep it "original"? What engine is he using? Thats a lot I know but see what you can come up with.
Thanks. I'll ask him those questions. My guess is he is trying to build as close to what he had previously as he can; so "Original" not in terms of the vin of the one he has but in building one like his originally was. I suspect he assumes the tranny will likely be used. From what he said to me, I assume the main car he has is set up auto (the other one I think is just for parts) so I guess it would need to be converted. He just is not computer savy & I am not that automotively savy. So I thought this would be a good place to start.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I have an uncle working to restore an old Mustang (not sure of the year - from the 60's). He owned one like it when I was little but his daughter wrecked it when she started driving. He has been heart broken ever since. He has put together parts from 2 cars he found & my nephew is helping him restore it. Problem is he only has an automatic tranny & wants a manual. He asked me to see if I could look into how he may be able to find one. Any guidance anyone could give will be appreciated.
You're asking this on a Camaro forum? Seriously? Yes, there are some of us that like ALL the muscle cars... but still... this is a CAMARO forum. You're more likely to get accurate and complete information on a Mustang forum.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Why should it matter what car she is asking about just because this is a Camaro site? Surely alot of us own more that one car. I don't even own a Camaro yet but I will within a few years, I don't like car payments so just have to be patience a few more months/years.
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Tried. Just humor me until I can figure out how to do that. I love my Camaro and this site. My father was always a GM guy & My uncle Bailey a Ford guy but never hostile. Those who want to assist thanks. If you just need to be a car snob & rude then "kiss my grits".
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Not trying to be rude but why don't ya ask that on a Rustang board???

Gonna get 100x more help
+1
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
While it is true she will get better more accurate info from a mustang site I'm sure we can help. It's not like it's rocket science. I would say the first place to start is what tranny he wants. If he remembers the model that helps a lot. Once you find out the year of the car and engine it will narrow down the options of what bolts to it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Tried. Just humor me until I can figure out how to do that. I love my Camaro and this site. My father was always a GM guy & My uncle Bailey a Ford guy but never hostile. Those who want to assist thanks. If you just need to be a car snob & rude then "kiss my grits".
http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post

Thanks. Went there & signed up. Hopefully I can get some more details from Uncle Bailey tomorrow. Still welcome any ideas from here. Hope the car snobs here won't dis-own me for signing up on a Mustang forum to help my uncle!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Thanks. Went there & signed up. Hopefully I can get some more details from Uncle Bailey tomorrow. Still welcome any ideas from here. Hope the car snobs here won't dis-own me for signing up on a Mustang forum to help my uncle!!!
I only offer a bit of help as the only Ford id own would be pre 70s, but you must face the fact that they are the enemy.

While your at that forum ask question about your Camaro n see how it goes over....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
RubyCamaro
Jan

I here ya
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
if you want to convert a Auto car to manual try http://www.moderndriveline.com/ I ran in to them while checking in to our hotel during The hot August nights week, guys seemed really kewl.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote