Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Will heat increase pressure, yes. Does boost equal heat? Not necessarily. I wouldn't be worried about how much boost it takes to make x amount of horsepower, because the cylinder pressure will be the same nonetheless.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Will heat increase pressure, yes. Does boost equal heat? Not necessarily. I wouldn't be worried about how much boost it takes to make x amount of horsepower, because the cylinder pressure will be the same nonetheless.
No, but more boost will lead to a higher chances of knock before MBT is reached.

Any combo that can achieve xyz power level using a lower boost pressure is ALWAYS the safer and more reliable setup.

The only thing that often prevents using compressors large enough to achieve it, is spool. So it's always a compromise.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
2SS45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Any combo that can achieve xyz power level using a lower boost pressure is ALWAYS the safer and more reliable setup.
Definitely not...

Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Definitely not...
Ok. You are saying that power is the ultimate limiter on stress concerning the cylinder walls, crank, rods. Ok. I'll buy it. Now, let's talk about pre-ignition, hot spots,etc. you show me how you compress air without heating it up as you increase pressure...
I'm not understanding how you figure it isn't best to have a more efficient air pump before adding boost?
The less you heat the charge, the less chance of chaos. There is no free lunch on a restricted platform like this. Huge intercoolers block more radiator flow, and pre-heat it. Now the coolant runs hotter, as do the jackets, and cylinders,etc.
Never mind the added load of having to soak up more heat because of the extra power.
That's all we are saying. Why run 15lbs of boost and the headaches it creates, when you could improve your air pump to only need 8psi to reach your power goals?
I've dealt with a ton of turbo builds, and I know more boost always looks cheaper and easier, but never is!
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
2SS45th

Improving the method of Forced Induction I can agree with, but a motor with a larger camshaft using 8psi versus a stock engine using 12 psi the difference is negligible.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Definitely not...
Definitely yes.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote