Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What engine would you like to see in Z28?
LS9 113 36.69%
LSA 89 28.90%
Hybrid LS9/LSA (maybe to keep costs down) 25 8.12%
Generation 5 34 11.04%
SC/TC'd V6 13 4.22%
LS7 72 23.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #71
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I seriously doubt many, if any, people here really think we can get an LS9 in Z28 for less than a Z06, or so. I think many of those people would really like to see it (me too ) but I don't really think they think it's reasonable. Hey, we can ask, can't we?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #72
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
yeah I'm not saying it is "best" for an LS9 to be the Z28's motor.... It's just the one I want....

This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I seriously doubt many, if any, people here really think we can get an LS9 in Z28 for less than a Z06, or so. I think many of those people would really like to see it (me too ) but I don't really think they think it's reasonable. Hey, we can ask, can't we?
...and this too.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #73
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
IMO I would love to be able to put a supercharged gt500 to shame with a stock N/A motor like the LS7 in a lighter car, then throw on some LT headers, free-flowing exhaust and CAI (just to start of course) and when I mean lighter I mean at least 3300 to 3400 lbs...not 3800...preferably 3100 lbs but thats probably wishful thinking
Exactly, thats my view as well, who wouldnt want to say "yeah, my Camaro's got the stock 427" haha right? And beating the supercharged Shelby with an N/A engine would be perfect. There have already been people saying the Z/28 will have significant weight cuts which may get it down around 3500lbs, but dont forget, the GT is 3500lbs BUT the Shelby is actually around 3800lbs, so if we had an N/A engine with a lighter car its a recipe for destruction >=} Not to mention the LS7 is lighter than either the LSA or LS9 and wayyy cheaper than the LS9

Im a full supporter of the LS7 in the Z/28, and one cool thing between us supporting our oppinion over other speculation is that GM already released the LS7 Concept Camaro at SEMA rated around 586hp (36 more than the LSA), so we know GM has considered the LS7 before either of the supercharged engines, it sounds amazing, feels amazing, performs amazingly, in comparison is affordable and way lighter, and is still highly modifiable (think throwing a supercharger on that as an after-thought )
LS7 all the way man
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #74
xBlaCkJacKx

Drives: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Exactly, thats my view as well, who wouldnt want to say "yeah, my Camaro's got the stock 427" haha right? And beating the supercharged Shelby with an N/A engine would be perfect. There have already been people saying the Z/28 will have significant weight cuts which may get it down around 3500lbs, but dont forget, the GT is 3500lbs BUT the Shelby is actually around 3800lbs, so if we had an N/A engine with a lighter car its a recipe for destruction >=} Not to mention the LS7 is lighter than either the LSA or LS9 and wayyy cheaper than the LS9

Im a full supporter of the LS7 in the Z/28, and one cool thing between us supporting our oppinion over other speculation is that GM already released the LS7 Concept Camaro at SEMA rated around 586hp (36 more than the LSA), so we know GM has considered the LS7 before either of the supercharged engines, it sounds amazing, feels amazing, performs amazingly, in comparison is affordable and way lighter, and is still highly modifiable (think throwing a supercharger on that as an after-thought )
LS7 all the way man
This guy knows what's up. I'd love to smoke a GT500 with a N/A LS7.
xBlaCkJacKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #75
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post

LS7 all the way man
The LS7 in that camaro concept Had GM's hotcam which means it would not be emissions leagle. Also If the Z/28 used the ls7, it would need a sinificant HP increase to about 550hp and atleast cut 300lbs of wieght. It might be easier for GM to Just increase the Boost from the LSA supercharger and add Forged Pistons and Cut some wieght. Though a Light wieght N.A. Z28 is the most apealing.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #76
Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
The LS7 in that camaro concept Had GM's hotcam which means it would not be emissions leagle. Also If the Z/28 used the ls7, it would need a sinificant HP increase to about 550hp and atleast cut 300lbs of wieght. It might be easier for GM to Just increase the Boost from the LSA supercharger and add Forged Pistons and Cut some wieght. Though a Light wieght N.A. Z28 is the most apeapling.
Ive never read much on the emissions of hotcams but still, that was just a cam swap, GM could do so many other things to the engine to boost hp, keep it emissions legal, and still mass produce it into the Z/28. Also the LS7 is around 100lbs lighter than the LSA (after weight from parts and fluids) and there was a post on the homepage here that said GM would be taking steps towards cutting weight on the Z/28...i support it cause its just a better solution to what we're looking for, its lighter, can easily be brought to the same power as the LSA, and its an N/A engine so it will most likely be more reliable and an easier daily-driver than either a supercharged version or the GT500 for that matter
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #77
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
We have heard over and over that the ls7 is on its way out...... Not saying I would mind it being in my Camaro! I just dont think its going to happen...
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #78
Vega

haha, yeaahh we have heard it over and over, and i get it eeeverywhere i go x_x
LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #79
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
I would be o.k. with some "other" smaller V-8. Make the "Z" lighter and give it a track suspension and basic/simple interior (like the LS but with premium sound), some new ground effects and special stripes/badging and different (lighter) wheels with low profile tires. My 3rd gen Z-28 was all about "affordable fun" so I don't know where GM is going with all this crapola of a 40K+ Camaro.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #80
radz28
Petro-sexual

I remember thinking $30K for a 4th Gen was impossible and even moreso with that SLP LT4 SS car at $40K. Considering the advanvements we've had since like '97 I think we're still getting a good value.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #81
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I remember thinking $30K for a 4th Gen was impossible and even moreso with that SLP LT4 SS car at $40K. Considering the advanvements we've had since like '97 I think we're still getting a good value.

JMHO.
I dont think my wage increases are keeping up with car price increases 50k is alot of money!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #82
Vega

Very true, i think the Z/28 should be stripped of the luxury items and be pure performance, then sold at the same price as the SS...that way people that want their luxury Camaro get that and people that want their performance Camaro get that...you can split the difference in price by adding/removing parts, like the SS has its base price, well remove all the luxury items and replace them with performance parts, the price equals out similarly (maybe slightly more for the Z/28) but still, im definatly not liking the idea of a $45k+ Z/28
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #83
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
I dont think my wage increases are keeping up with car price increases 50k is alot of money!
You aren't the only one Bro'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #84
Vega

Not to mention a lot of that $45k+ price comes from all the little lazy frills people want...remote start, on-screen navigation, heated power seats all around, 300 speaker sound systems...lets have our luxury version (SS) and our performance version (Z/28) comparable in cost but appealing to different crowds...i dont wanna see Mr. Suburb dad driving his new fancy Z/28 5 miles under the speed limit and saying "yeah i bought it cause it had the comfiest seats" >={ LOL