Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #71
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
HAHA, Im sure were gonna get a few engineers that will laugh at my explanation, but I tried to explain it in term I would personally understand. Which is about an 8th grade level.. So although it may not be technicaly written to the letter of what an engineer would say, hopefully it explains what I was trying to relay.
Yeah - I have to speak to engineers for my line of work and you can tell when they don't really want you to understand what they're saying. Your posts have been very helpful, and I'm gaining more appreciation for these twin screws I've heard so much about in the past

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #72
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
You can only translate if you fully understand what it says..
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
You've spent so much time trying to show us, but couldn't you have spent a little more time translating this to stupid, like I am? j/k
Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #73
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
It's not that engineers don't want you to understand, many times you just have to have an extensive background to understand the reasoning behind things. Thanks for the posts, as an engineer I actually appreciate the physics behind it
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #74
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
You can only translate if you fully understand what it says..

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #75
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
It's not that engineers don't want you to understand, many times you just have to have an extensive background to understand the reasoning behind things. Thanks for the posts, as an engineer I actually appreciate the physics behind it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #76
will69camaro

Basically what it's doing is he's taking formulas you learned in school and going by known values to determine the ideal temperature of the air entering the engine (blower outlet). Since that assumes 100% adiabatic efficiency, he's accounting for that in the efficiency calculation where you can assign a percentage probably taken from previous experimental data and assign it to change the ideal Temperature into an actual temperature. Using THAT temperature into the density ratio using degrees in Rankin (R).

Most these models are looking at the engine as essentially a big "air pump."

That explanation above in his post is pretty good for generalizing the way the blower makes the power and the ability to show the % increase in power.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #77
Total_Perf_Eng

Yeah........What he said..
Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Basically what it's doing is he's taking formulas you learned in school and going by known values to determine the ideal temperature of the air entering the engine (blower outlet). Since that assumes 100% adiabatic efficiency, he's accounting for that in the efficiency calculation where you can assign a percentage probably taken from previous experimental data and assign it to change the ideal Temperature into an actual temperature. Using THAT temperature into the density ratio using degrees in Rankin (R).

Most these models are looking at the engine as essentially a big "air pump."

That explanation above in his post is pretty good for generalizing the way the blower makes the power and the ability to show the % increase in power.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #78
will69camaro

It gets more difficult if you start trying to explain where certain things come from but for now just believe the formulas. Basic math after that
Old 01-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #79
radz28
Petro-sexual

Good enough for me. I'll just take the word from the engineers

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #80
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm gaining more appreciation for these twin screws I've heard so much about in the past
I met a girl a while ago who was really into "Twin Screws". When I asked her why, she replied, "That's the best Forced Induction"
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #81
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
So what recommended psi will the KB 2.8 base kit be running at? To get the higher hp out of these, at what point do you need forged internals and at what psi to be on the safe side? Sorry if this has been asked already - the engineering talk has my eyes crossed

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #82
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
all i know is as far as the KB kits for the c5's go they werent performing like they stated. lots of restrictions in the intake i believe, its been reworked twice i believe and still wasnt performing. lots of KB kits sold and i have yet to see a track proven car, or one hitting 700+whp on forged motor.

personally i wouldnt buy a KB due to horrible customer service. no e-mail replies and contacting them by phone they show no interest in helping if they dont have a kit available already for the car they wont help. thats why whipple and maggie's will always be first choice, customer service OWNS.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #83
Total_Perf_Eng

100% inaccurate.

There are more 700rwhp KB GM cars tan I can count. Yes, the original inlet design was horrible on the C5. Hence the reason we have spent years, along with 10's of thousands of dollars correcting it. The new inlet is just as solid as the mammoth for the Mustang. It flows 1602cfm. We completely changed everything. There is not 1 thing on this kit that shares similarity with the C5 Corvette.

You are correct, back in 2005-2006 KB was having horrible issues with their phone answering skills. They were Ford guys, what did you expect... But since that time, KB has begun pretty much sending all tech questions to me, and I handle them. I have already received a few from this board today who called them. But getting tech issues handled in a timely manner with a KB GM car, is a thing of the past.

Maggie has great cstomer service, I wont deny that at all.

But when our customers are sitting at the end of 1320 feet, Ill be sure to have them on speed dial so when the other car shows up, he can b!tch to them as to why he spent the same money, and got his booty handed to him.. (Just Playin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
all i know is as far as the KB kits for the c5's go they werent performing like they stated. lots of restrictions in the intake i believe, its been reworked twice i believe and still wasnt performing. lots of KB kits sold and i have yet to see a track proven car, or one hitting 700+whp on forged motor.

personally i wouldnt buy a KB due to horrible customer service. no e-mail replies and contacting them by phone they show no interest in helping if they dont have a kit available already for the car they wont help. thats why whipple and maggie's will always be first choice, customer service OWNS.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #84
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
100% inaccurate.

There are more 700rwhp KB GM cars tan I can count. Yes, the original inlet design was horrible on the C5. Hence the reason we have spent years, along with 10's of thousands of dollars correcting it. The new inlet is just as solid as the mammoth for the Mustang. It flows 1602cfm. We completely changed everything. There is not 1 thing on this kit that shares similarity with the C5 Corvette.

You are correct, back in 2005-2006 KB was having horrible issues with their phone answering skills. They were Ford guys, what did you expect... But since that time, KB has begun pretty much sending all tech questions to me, and I handle them. I have already received a few from this board today who called them. But getting tech issues handled in a timely manner with a KB GM car, is a thing of the past.

Maggie has great cstomer service, I wont deny that at all.

But when our customers are sitting at the end of 1320 feet, Ill be sure to have them on speed dial so when the other car shows up, he can b!tch to them as to why he spent the same money, and got his booty handed to him.. (Just Playin)
Funny, I'm a member on a few LSX forums, and the highest dyno i've seen was close to 700 which was nice, but didnt surpass the 700 mark. but hey each to there own. plus Whipple and Maggie are both local to me, and i'll keep business in Cali.

but yeah i'd like to see these 700+whp KB cars LSX powered, with motor specs, vids, dyno sheets. and hell the super fast seat in the pants crazy insane 1320 vids, that you claim.

Last edited by nfamous209; 01-13-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Closed Thread