Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #225
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Wow 10 pages of comments. I tried to get through most of it. On the video I thought it was funny how they said things you would never hear with a Camaro like getting the door for her Majesty. I think the Camaro is too cool for her anyway.
Clearly this was an unfair comparison, so what's the point? What does a Mercedes sedan have to do with a muscle car like Camaro? Do the Europeans even make a "muscle car"? And, who else but an overpaid banker bailed out by taxpayers could afford the AMG.
I like this show, but this segment was a bit goofy. A better comparison to the Mercedes would have been the Cadillac CTS.
Oh well, after living in the UK for 6 years, I though I was used to the USA bashing. Just don't mess with my car.

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #226
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If this is the first time an individual has watched the show, you just aren't going to get what the show is about. How many other shows have tried to launch a passenger car into the sky in hopes of making it like the Space Shuttle? How many shows race a Bugatti against a jet fighter (Typhoon)? How many shows put a cow on a Camaro?... Okay - that wasn't a good example... The truth of the matter is that unless an individual has watched more than a couple shows, they have no idea what this program is about. Take it or leave it, but some people here are going overboard, IMO. Have a look here to get a taste of what the show is about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Races

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #227
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
This is absolutely not a good car for murderers... there is nowhere near enough trunk space. I do remember Jeremy saying "who's head is that" so perhaps he realizes this and claims that murderers only cart the heads around but any good murderer knows, and I'm sure you're all good murderers in your Camaros, that we take the whole body, not just the head. Silly brits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I think it is good for the camaro to be compared to a superior and far more expensive car and only come out a little in the hole. Speaks to it's value. Even though they are very different it compares how we like to do muscle to how they like to do muscle. A lot of complaints about the performance differences but they care about more than just numbers on the show. Comfort, styling, execution and functionality are all very important. I think it showed the Camaro very favorably even in defeat. Should've opened some eyes across the pond.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #228
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
Why are people up in arms about the track being wet on some cars??
BBC does not control the weather(though some there would think so). They don't have a cars for long periods of time to wait around for a sunny day. Often times you will see one color being tested while another in the studio during recording.

Lots of people getting very defensive over this. Top Gear(not just clarkson) rips in to other cars from other countries too, so don't think you are special.

There was mention of "what if an American top gear...". Well, there has been one in the works for a while now. Adam Carolla was going to be a part of it a few years ago, but he is not anymore, and another is being planned. Also, and American Top Gear will be TERRIBLE!!!!

Tell you what. Do not look at this as a comparison as they really didn't make too many of them. Look at it as two SEPARATE car reviews put in to one just to try to get more cars in this season(it is only 6 episodes after all).
ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #229
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
I am cracking up watching these bloody Englishmen take shots at our beloved Gen 5! I am sure if the truth be known...Mercedes sponsored the episode! LOL Enough said.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #230
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
No sponsors. They dont show commercials during this show. That is why an american version would suck.
ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #231
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
seriously.

Can you help explain it?
Sure. Nothing in that show, absolutely nothing in that show is done unless it is entertaining and fun for car and non-car fans alike. We all know that.

So my take on the "logic" of the comparison, was as others put it, based purely on the engine. The fun part was, "well, let's compare it with the closest the Euros have, which is a 6.3L AMG". Given their definition of "muscle" which is a car with the biggest possible engine, then that comparison is fair.

And of course, as others have pointed out, the Camaro's performance was absolutely phenomenal for the price compared with the AMG. Would the presenters point that out? No - because that's a boring thing to point out, especially since it's so obvious.

The only thing that annoys me is when the presenters flat out say something that is factually incorrect, such as calling a V6 Mustang is a V8. But their opinions on the other hand are merely humorous hyperboles of their feelings - I have nothing wrong with that because it's fun. If I wanted a serious review, there are tons of them on the internet.

British humor has a lot to do with using the cleverness of the English language to make fun of something. Clarkson's insults are hilarious because of his clever metaphors. Just watch the Australian version of "Top Gear" - it's the kind of show that we'd get if we didn't have Clarkson. It's so utterly boring to watch because it doesn't capture the irrational emotion that's attached to cars. Clarkson also constantly makes fun of his own co-presenters. May is "slow" and Hammond is a "hamster". Clarkson calls himself a "middle-aged, bald fat bloke".

Look at my post for example. It's utterly devoid of humor. There's nothing funny about it. I'm trying to get a point across, but it's not funny and it's not entertaining. You don't want me to host a car show, because I'd do it fairly, I'd do it analytically and I'd be totally boring to watch. I totally admire people like Clarkson because their wit is so quick and it is amazing to see how he can look at something ordinary and come up with something funny about it.

What would South Park, or Seinfeld be without the political incorrectness? What would comedy be without the political incorrectness? What would Top Gear be like without the craziness? Watch "Fifth Gear" and find out:

Can you watch this without falling asleep?

Top Gear is the greatest service anyone has ever done for car fans. It has helped ordinary, non-car folks understand why car people love cars. Boring, stale and analytical car reviews alienate normal people because they don't capture the excitement, fun and emotion that fast cars are all about.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #232
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphWS6 View Post
CTS-V and the Camaro are 2 very different cars. That's like comparing the E63 AMG to the Camaro.

I'd bet everything I own that the Stig would get an M6 around the track faster.
I'm talking about the transmissions, not the powertrains.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #233
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldpizza4brkfast View Post
You keep saying $40,000 - But he said it was £40,000 - in other words, $60,280 US dollars. That's a helluva markup.

Just FYI.
That's only 'cuz they already have the V.A.T. tax over there. We will get it sometime between now and 2012.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #234
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Sometimes I actually PREFER "Fifth Gear" over "Top Gear". Yes, Top Gear is more entertaining and visually stimulating, but Fifth Gear gets to the point more and actually give good in-depth analysis of the vehicles driven. Plus they're better drivers: Tiff Needell and Vicky Butler FTW!

Oh yeah, The Top Gear review went about as good as I thought it would. Comparing it to the Benz was a stretch, but not as bad as when they compared a Mustang to a Lotus...

Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #235
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
That other guy calling the Camaro "stupid", he was the one acting like the Corvette was falling apart when he drove it.
The Queen wouldn't get out of a Camaro. Really. That's where you're going? Well last i checked the only thing she gets out of are limo's. Or Carriage's. Nobel Prize winners? Probably a freaking Volvo. Or Saab.
That's why they're Europe, driving little tiny cars on little tiny streets, and we are the United States.
Open roads, and anything is possible.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #236
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
Sometimes I actually PREFER "Fifth Gear" over "Top Gear". Yes, Top Gear is more entertaining and visually stimulating, but Fifth Gear gets to the point more and actually give good in-depth analysis of the vehicles driven. Plus they're better drivers: Tiff Needell and Vicky Butler FTW!

Oh yeah, The Top Gear review went about as good as I thought it would. Comparing it to the Benz was a stretch, but not as bad as when they compared a Mustang to a Lotus...

Fifth Gear viewers: about 1M
Top Gear viewers: about 30M

I don't go to Top Gear for facts, I go there for entertainment. Fifth Gear, like every other bloody car show is really only for car people. It's like watching a golf tournament on TV - let's all watch the grass grow. If anyone can make a golf show that non-golf people would actually watch, they would be gods. Top Gear did that for non-car people. I can sit there and watch it with the family, and the wifey can understand why I'm crazy about cars. If I watch "Fifth Gear" I'd have to do it when everybody's asleep.

Furthermore - Fifth Gear presents NOTHING that is discussion-worthy after the show. How can you argue or discuss cold hard facts? After watching Top Gear however, you can argue for 10 pages on a Camaro5.com forum how Clarkson is rubbish. Think about that. Top Gear is a winning formula.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #237
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Fifth Gear viewers: about 1M
Top Gear viewers: about 30M

I don't go to Top Gear for facts, I go there for entertainment. Fifth Gear, like every other bloody car show is really only for car people. It's like watching a golf tournament on TV - let's all watch the grass grow. If anyone can make a golf show that non-golf people would actually watch, they would be gods. Top Gear did that for non-car people. I can sit there and watch it with the family, and the wifey can understand why I'm crazy about cars. If I watch "Fifth Gear" I'd have to do it when everybody's asleep.

Furthermore - Fifth Gear presents NOTHING that is discussion-worthy after the show. How can you argue or discuss cold hard facts? After watching Top Gear however, you can argue for 10 pages on a Camaro5.com forum how Clarkson is rubbish. Think about that. Top Gear is a winning formula.
No denying that. I said that Top gear was entertaining too. Top Gear is a way to spoon feed the masses without being die hard car/gear heads. Been doing so for over 13 years. I like Top Gear, don't get me wrong but sometime I like a good review without all of the fluff.

You make Fifth Gear sound like Motorweek

Th reason Jeremy is getting 10 pages on Camaro5 is because most of Camaro5 probably hasn't kept up with Top Gear for multiple seasons. If they knew that was his M.O. they would ignore him like I do when he reviews an American car. He'll bash a ZO6 but says that the Mazda RX-8 is brilliant

Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #238
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
That other guy calling the Camaro "stupid", he was the one acting like the Corvette was falling apart when he drove it.
The Queen wouldn't get out of a Camaro. Really. That's where you're going? Well last i checked the only thing she gets out of are limo's. Or Carriage's. Nobel Prize winners? Probably a freaking Volvo. Or Saab.
That's why they're Europe, driving little tiny cars on little tiny streets, and we are the United States.
Open roads, and anything is possible.
Anyone can get a nobel prize these days.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote